Rejected Evoque to a Macan

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
johnd

Post by johnd »

Re ACC: I was unconvinced about it initially, but really glad now that I did spec it. Certainly took a while - weeks to months - to get used to it (and to the feeling of being a little out of control), but wouldn't want to be without it now - just so much more relaxing to drive any distance unless the roads are largely empty. Yes, there's still the odd foible and ACC pick-up is better in Sport mode, but I just see it as the next step on the road to full autopilot and suspect that cars without ACC are going to seem quite old-fashioned in a year or two's time.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

johnd wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:48 pm Re ACC: I was unconvinced about it initially, but really glad now that I did spec it. Certainly took a while - weeks to months - to get used to it (and to the feeling of being a little out of control), but wouldn't want to be without it now - just so much more relaxing to drive any distance unless the roads are largely empty. Yes, there's still the odd foible and ACC pick-up is better in Sport mode, but I just see it as the next step on the road to full autopilot and suspect that cars without ACC are going to seem quite old-fashioned in a year or two's time.
+1, ACC takes a bit of getting used to but wouldn't be without it now.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

ror wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Todays been about should I chose the towbar verses bikes on the roof, if i'm honest will prob never have more than 4 at one time on so maybe roof it is

Not sure what sort of bikes you have, but hauling large mountain bikes up on to the roof of an SUV is hard work. Not impossible, but certainly not comfortable. I was fine with putting them on the roof of an estate car for years, but the extra height of an SUV was a step too far for me, so it's towbar next time round with the Macan.
Deleted User 1877

Post by Deleted User 1877 »

I appreciate what you are saying with that - i'm like a rabbit in the headlights over it presently, hence I'm locking down on Monday but then have a week until final lock down - that'll force the decision out... or just toss a coin?
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

If you can, do try out a roof bike rack before deciding. I had to carry a step around to lift bikes up on the roof of our Qashqai which is 1.595 m tall. The Macan is 1.624 m so will be even worse. I'm 6' 1" with a good reach and I found it a real stretch and ended up scratching the door with my jacket zip in the process. Our previous Volvo estate was 1.452 m tall and no problem at all. That extra 200 mm makes a huge difference in the real world and really caught me out. But our bikes are full-on long travel FS trail bikes, so heavy compared to a typical road bike. If I'd tried a roof bike rack on the Qashqai I would have gone tow bar for sure. Live and learn hey!
happy days

Post by happy days »

ror wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:20 pm northcoast 500 is on the cards this year!
You'll enjoy that. I did it in February / March this year and there was absolutely no traffic on the roads. A work colleague was in Inverness last weekend and said the roads were full of coaches and tourists (not sure about the NC500 route though). I did a wee write up as I went along.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5516&hilit=nc500
Macan S D
718 S
Pete

Post by Pete »

Yeah, I'd recommend the west coast, the A832 would be my road of choice. The Hebrides are especially nice as well.
Deleted User 1877

Post by Deleted User 1877 »

Nice write up and good guide to follow. Many thanks. Looking to do the trip oct/nov this year to avoid the wildlife eating us alive.