Almost there! Opinions welcomed

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Marra

Post by Marra »

After much deliberation and checking in regularly to this fantastic forum, I am close to making a decision! Previously, I had specced a Macan diesel but ended up not going ahead for a variety of reasons. Since then, some major changes - £3k price increase, sat nav and connect now included and the hype around diesel has intensified.

This has, rightly or wrongly, pointed me towards the 3.0l petrol - my annual mileage is around 8-10k. I realise that the fuel bill will be higher as will the RFL. I know that members here rave about the diesel and having driven one, I can certainly see why. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the amount of diesels in the market, together with their availability, (dealer has slots for delivery in September) will mean that they will possibly depreciate more than the harder to get (same dealer is quoting "end of the year") petrol model which will perhaps also
come under less public scrutiny than diesel models.

I also haven't been able to shake the feeling that after all the years of looking forward to Porsche ownership, I should really go for a petrol engine rather than a diesel.

So with all that in mind, here is the spec I have come up with. Budget plays a very big part of this for me, this is way more than I've ever considered spending on a car before. I have seriously thought about a used model, but the price differential is relatively small between new and used and the finance deals seem to favour new.

I welcome opinions from members, please recognise that anything new added will probably mean something else coming off.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJZECF24

microbe

Post by microbe »

A very good spec. Quite similar to mine although I added sport design bodywork to give me the looks I was after. You have included most of the extras that are recommended by forum members
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
Pete

Post by Pete »

Bear in mind that the diesel engine is Euro 6 compliant and largely unaffected by future penalties that apply to older, dirtier engines. No one knows the future, but I feel relatively safe with a modern diesel.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Spec looks good.

Petrol is a very good choice, the S with 14 way seats PASM and 19" rims will be very comfortable and have a very supple ride, two prods of the PASM button will firm up the suspension nicely for fun when cornering with spirit.

You have not included PS+, do try a Macan without it if you do not intend to include it. It only works to lighten the parking steering load then progressively reduces to zero assist at town speeds.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Great sensible spec and Petrol is a great choice not just because ofmth negativity recently on diesels but based on the mileage you are doing.

As always there are others things you can add if your budget allowed and items you want but you have everything for a very enjoyable drive. 👍

I would not change your spec based on the budget 👍
GTS 😀
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

I went through a very similar process and am very happy with my petrol S with very similar spec to yours. I bought my boot liner on eBay at half the Porsche price and it fits well and I'm pretty sure it's as good as the Porsche one. I did go for the 18 way seats after having them in a Cayenne, but it's personal choice. Only thing I wish I had added was the led lights, but they are expensive. Not sure why as I believe they are actually cheaper to make than the xenons. Enjoy your Macan.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

That looks like a great spec at a sensible price and will be a lot of Porsche for £56k!

I think that higher fuel and tax costs will be offset by lower depreciation, as you say, compared to an SD, as the petrol S is likely to be a rarer and more sought after beast.

On the subject of finance deals, do shop around, as the APR offered by Porsche (VW) finance is relatively expensive.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

You will not regret your decision of selecting the S. I went through the same dilemma after ordering an SD and changed to petrol at the last minute. Every time I start the car it just puts a smile on my face and worth the foreit of mpg. The SD is a great car but DPF issues put me off. Your spec is similar to mine and whilst it is a matter of personal choice, I would recommend considering the 20 inch Spyders; I simply love them😍.
steve w

Post by steve w »

Nice spec I've had the SD and it very good but my GTS is in another league,have you considered looking at a GTS they have more equipment as standard over the basic Petrol S.
SteveW
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Not to put you off petrol, but I still think depreciation will be higher than the diesel despite all the negative press. Why? Simply because diesel is cheaper to run and that will still count massively in the used market for an SUV like this. By all means choose the petrol (I'm still thinking about it myself), but do it for genuine reasons i.e. that you do actually prefer the petrol engine performance, not crystal ball gazing which may lead to disappointment if your predictions about depreciation turn out to be wrong.

If you really are that budget sensitive, diesel has got to be a better bet over the next 3 years or so. It will definitely cost less to run over that period and while residuals are a bit more of an unknown, they are unlikely to be a disaster. In the long haul it seems like both petrol and diesel will be replaced by hybrids and EVs, so probably both ultimately doomed.