Almost there! Opinions welcomed

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

happy days wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:45 am We regularly get 40 indicated on ours. Mostly (ahem) at legal motorway speeds. You have to be used to driving a diesel in order to get the best out of them. Change up early and use the torque. It's completely different from a petrol car where the peak power is developed away up the rev range. I find the McCann gearbox to be excellent in this regard and even when pressing on, we are regularly seeing the high 30s. 16k miles to date.
The vast majority of people are fully used to driving diesels considering the sheer number of them on our roads. It's probably driving petrol engined cars that we need a reminder about!

Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I am surprised about the endless discussion with regard mpg and residual value of the Macan. Surely if you are buying a Porsche the deciding factor must be about your enjoyment? Driving a diesel is great with the low-end torque and effortless relaxed driving and with plenty enough power for normal users. After years of driving diesel vehicles ( of all types) the change to a petrol S was more pronounced than I had anticipated but, for me, oodles more fun. Frankly I dont care about the mpg if I did I wouldn't buy a Porsche. Diesels have other good qualities ,relaxed driving, great for towing etc. So if it is a diesel or a petrol you choose buy the one which makes you smile the most. As an aside a petrol Macan (S,GTS or Turbo) is not really an SUV it is a HUSC (High Up Sports Car)!
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I am surprised about the endless discussion with regard mpg and residual value of the Macan. Surely if you are buying a Porsche the deciding factor must be about your enjoyment? Driving a diesel is great with the low-end torque and effortless relaxed driving and with plenty enough power for normal users. After years of driving diesel vehicles ( of all types) the change to a petrol S was more pronounced than I had anticipated but, for me, oodles more fun. Frankly I dont care about the mpg if I did I wouldn't buy a Porsche. Diesels have other good qualities ,relaxed driving, great for towing etc. So if it is a diesel or a petrol you choose buy the one which makes you smile the most. As an aside a petrol Macan (S,GTS or Turbo) is not really an SUV it is a HUSC (High Up Sports Car)!
Marra

Post by Marra »

Thank you all for your opinions and for the debate - it really is what makes this forum so fantastic, for existing, new and potential Porsche owners.

Addressing some of the specific points raised, and in my opinion:

Depreciation - nobody has a crystal ball and who knows what may happen in the future. I am a sort of supply and demand guy and I think the relatively lower numbers of the petrol S will keep the price up compared with the relatively high numbers of diesel S. This is before factoring the growing, albeit misplaced, negative view of diesel engines - particularly unfair on the Euro 6 versions. But negative news seems to be building and the latest from Mercedes won't help the overall sentiment.

GTS - yes, what a car! Unfortunately my budget would not allow me to buy a GTS with the options i would need. I think my spec is about perfect for my budget and as Wing Commander said - it's a lot of Porsche for £56k

Finance - yes I will definitely shop around. The dealer is at about 6.5% on a PCP and Lloyds Bank are at 5.5% but I'm sure there are better rates. The balance is a good rate and the highest balloon payment to keep the payments and interest paid down.

Fuel consumption - I currently have a 11 plate BMW 335i Convertible that has returned around 25 mpg from new so i drop of about 10 - 15% would not be the end of the world.

As i said originally, I have aspired to Porsche ownership forever and if I am to finally get one I can't shake the feeling that it should have a Porsche petrol engine in it rather than and Audi diesel, regardless of how good that makes the diesel S.

The truth is I haven't placed the order yet so there is still time for yet more thought changes :)
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Marra wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 pm
As i said originally, I have aspired to Porsche ownership forever and if I am to finally get one I can't shake the feeling that it should have a Porsche petrol engine in it rather than and Audi diesel, regardless of how good that makes the diesel S.
That's all the reason you need to choose the petrol S. Make sure you test drive both to be sure, that's what I'm going to do. Then you can order with confidence. Both versions seem to have plenty of fans. Diesel is clearly the most popular based on the numbers sold. The used market seems to prefer them too at this point. It's interesting that waiting lists for petrol appear to be longer, but that could easily change in future as the factory reacts to market changes.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

You do not have to tick all the option boxes and have decided on a spec when you place an order.

£3k deposit which is fully refundable will get you in the system.

Lockdown of spec c6 weeks prior to build date but the SE will no doubt push for an earlier lockdown as that ties you into a contract.

Build 3 days

Delivery from 7 to 30 days, the SE does not have a crystal ball to be specific to a delivery date.

Then there is your trip for a 1/2 day at Silverstone PEC actually driving the S on the circuits and skid pans there.

Do ask on expected wait times and do ring other OPCs for their estimate of wait times.

If you want it by a certain time place a deposit with two different OPCs and have them race each other for a confirmed build slot, I had offers for two early builds from Chester OPC.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
IainSmith

Post by IainSmith »

I'm the happy and proud owner of a 2 week old delivered Volcano Grey Macan S petrol.

Your spec is almost identical to mine actually.. On mine the only thing i would change/amend is adding the storage package (£160), it bugs me that my umbrella rolls around in the boot. I though the boot shelf came with the netting on the underside as standard or i would have added to my spec... I asked Porsche to cost adding the net and surprise surprise you have to buy the complete parcel shelf (£250)
ALSO if you have kids get the £41 boot lid film protection.

Finally my personal preference, i felt the dash was sparse without the centre dial, so i opted for the compass to break up the dash
Pete

Post by Pete »

I put my umbrella in the space under the boot floor, in with the spare jackets and other junk that's handy from time to time. I'm not sure if the spare wheel takes up all the space from under there though.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Marra wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 pm I think my spec is about perfect for my budget and as Wing Commander said - it's a lot of Porsche for £56k

Finance - yes I will definitely shop around. The dealer is at about 6.5% on a PCP and Lloyds Bank are at 5.5% but I'm sure there are better rates. The balance is a good rate and the highest balloon payment to keep the payments and interest paid down.
You will find lots of threads on here relating to Clydesdale Bank (who I used myself) recently offering 4.2% on HP finance with a balloon.

Don't forget that a bigger balloon also means that you are paying interest on a bigger sum during the term of the finance deal. :geek:

Many banks and building societies are currently offering personal loans at 3.4% APR or less.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

Pete wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:42 pm I put my umbrella in the space under the boot floor, in with the spare jackets and other junk that's handy from time to time. I'm not sure if the spare wheel takes up all the space from under there though.
Plenty of space - even with a spare👍

IMG_0276.JPG

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465