Almost there! Opinions welcomed

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

steve w wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:40 pm Nice spec I've had the SD and it very good but my GTS is in another league,have you considered looking at a GTS they have more equipment as standard over the basic Petrol S.
SteveW
The GTS may have more standard kit, but if you apply the same options as chosen for the S you still end up jumping from £55K to £62K, which by the sound of it will probably blow the OP's budget out of the water.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Definately the right choice for a non mile munching commuter Macan is a petrol version.

In six months ownership my SD had showing on the MFD a mpg figure of just short of 36, this was definately wrong as my paper receipts for all fuel used showed just short of 33mpg which to me is 10mpg less than a diesel Macan should be and certainly 15 mpg less than an ex work colleague achieved in his 3 series 3 litre oil burning Beamer.

Personally I did not like the engine power of drive delivery of the SD Macan, whilst I now have a Turbo the whole drive and enjoyment is on a different league.

The SD is not a bad variant it is just not the one size fits all version.

A benefit of going petrol is that there will be no DPF concerns, please do not underestimate the impact on your driving enjoyment and lifestyle if you happen to get an SD which is prone to the dreaded DPF blockages and limp home modes, please read up on posts on this forum if you have any tendence to lean towards an SD.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pete

Post by Pete »

I'm consistently getting more than 40mpg in my SD with normal driving. For my 60ltr tank, I get about 530 miles, which makes the indication fairly accurate. Of course, this depends on the weight of the right foot. I get plenty of fun in flappy-paddle mode, but most of the time I'm just commuting.

I believe that any DPF issues are a minority rather than the norm.
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:25 am

In six months ownership my SD had showing on the MFD a mpg figure of just short of 36, this was definately wrong as my paper receipts for all fuel used showed just short of 33mpg which to me is 10mpg less than a diesel Macan should be and certainly 15 mpg less than an ex work colleague achieved in his 3 series 3 litre oil burning Beamer.
Can I ask what mix of driving that was? I'm also trying to decide between diesel and petrol S models. I average 42 mpg in my 1.5L Diesel Qashqai on mostly open B roads with a bit of uncrowded motorway and town driving. If I manage to get 33 mpg out of a 3.0L Diesel Macan I'll be pretty happy! I was lucky to break 20 mpg in my 997.2 C4S.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

At no time during my SD ownership did the display show anywhere near 40mpg.

Local short journeys, with frequent 70mph Motorway cruises and primarily A road trips all resulted in the 33mpg overall. I am retired and hence no regular commutes, just local 4 mile one way journeys into town and one way trips from 30 to 80 miles to get to the seaside or into the country, Lake District or Dales.

Conversely on a recent long Motorway journey the Turbo showed just shy of 30 mpg with the first 100 miles actually showing 31mpg. So far the Turbo has an actual mpg of 24 whereas the MFD is showing pretty well an accurate mpg.

There is no doubt about which engined variant is the most fun to drive and it certainly is not the SD.

Me I would rather have a base 2.0 litre under the bonnet rather than an 3.0 oil burner, its the way the diesel delivers the power and the amount of power available (not enough) that I do not like.

Which now that I have mentioned it, for the Op it may be a better alternative engine choice, with reasonable economy, lighter weight and performance similar to the SD without the diesel concerns.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

35 was my overall (fuelly measured) average in my first SD (8000 miles in 8 months give or take.) Whether it " should" be more is irrelevant; that's what it is.

If you are doing 10-12 K miles a year (or more) with a good regular distance run (100 miles / a couple if hours continuous) once a week then the dpf becomes a non-issue.

To contrast, I'm currently running at 25 mpg in my GTS (9000 miles odd since last September) and I'm suspecting a petrol S would return me similar figure like for like.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
johnd

Post by johnd »

You can see my SD Fuelly record in my sig (remember to select non-US gallons if you do take a look). Take-home is that my current true average MPG over 12K miles is 32 (indicated 35-36 or thereabouts), but that does involve a daily 5-mile (each way) commute and various other relatively local journeys as well as longer trips, so for anyone with more of a bias to longer trips then 33-34mpg (true) should be easily attainable.

Like most people, in an ideal world I would have preferred the petrol characteristic of a long rev range, but couldn't stomach the 20mpg, emissions to match and frequent fill-ups of the petrol (not for financial reasons, but just doesn't feel right). Also SD was available much more quickly at my time of ordering. My personal view and YMMV of course.

Just had one early DPF warning in 12K miles, which quickly disappeared on a more spirited run in manual mode and one AdBlue fill-up. Other than that, SD in Sport mode gives me (almost) as much more sporty driving as I need - the extra torque pretty much compensates for the lack of rev range.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

That's useful info thanks. So I can realistically expect say low to mid 30s mpg with the SD and mid 20s with the petrol S. So on a 12K per annum mileage that's about £2500 for petrol and £1800 for diesel, so an annual saving of £700. mmm.... probably will choose petrol for my usage and enjoy the extra power. I expected the difference to be more than it appears to be in reality. Still think depreciation will be higher on a petrol S, but perhaps less so than before the diesel hate press.
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 am the extra torque pretty much compensates for the lack of rev range.
The diesel engine may have extra torque, but it needs taller gearing to put it on the road (because it can't rev as high as the petrol) so the torque available at the axles is actually lower than the petrol. That's why the petrol S accelerates significantly faster throughout the speed range with the benefit of an extra 82 hp on tap. It would be a different story if the diesel had similar peak power, but unfortunately it doesn't. In this particular case, I think the petrol S is well ahead on performance and a quick glance at the performance stats shows it. But I still like the relaxed low revving effortless driving style that a diesel promotes in this type of car. Outright performance is not necessarily the be-all-end-all in a family SUV. I'm still on the fence between the S and SD, but after hearing about real world economy of both I'm now starting to favour the petrol version.
happy days

Post by happy days »

We regularly get 40 indicated on ours. Mostly (ahem) at legal motorway speeds. You have to be used to driving a diesel in order to get the best out of them. Change up early and use the torque. It's completely different from a petrol car where the peak power is developed away up the rev range. I find the McCann gearbox to be excellent in this regard and even when pressing on, we are regularly seeing the high 30s. 16k miles to date.
Macan S D
718 S