Facelift

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Paul wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:57 am
Hawkeye wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:28 am
CharlesElliott wrote:I don't seem to experience any of these PCM issues, works fine for me and I use it a lot for radio, SD card, nav, MyHome screens, CarPlay etc.
+1. I find it to be good and reliable and if anything, it does a lot more than I probably need it to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+2 - none if the above problems on mine either (maybe my non-connect version has less to go wrong!😉)
+3 none of the issues described. Only 1 issue in 6 months and a switch off and back on again and all ok. If people expect Tech issues not to happen from time to time then all phones and pc's should be binned. Connect works well for me.
Its a question of how often people get these issues and if they clear on their own with what is classed as a reboot.
At some point there will be software updates that will resolve minor problems and create new ones just like computers and phones.

I expect car manufacturers will be updating the software a lot more frequently as the cars are more connected and security updates will be required.. ;)
GTS 😀

mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

CharlesElliott wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:19 am I don't seem to experience any of these PCM issues, works fine for me and I use it a lot for radio, SD card, nav, MyHome screens, CarPlay etc.
Yep - same for me, all TECH is good for me, inc carplay.

What does tickle my fancy is this talk of a 2.9 V6 430+bhp - which is in the RS5, now that whould be good. Seems to perform as well as being more economical, although a fast hybrid would also be nice as well or dare I say FULL electric...... Maybe just hang on to the GTS until 2021/2022

Full Electric boxster and cayman are very much in testing phases - so maybe could be a nice wee run-a-round.
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

mcnallys wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:33 am
CharlesElliott wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:19 am I don't seem to experience any of these PCM issues, works fine for me and I use it a lot for radio, SD card, nav, MyHome screens, CarPlay etc.
What does tickle my fancy is this talk of a 2.9 V6 430+bhp - which is in the RS5, now that whould be good. Seems to perform as well as being more economical, although a fast hybrid would also be nice as well or dare I say FULL electric...... Maybe just hang on to the GTS until 2021/2022
Autoexpress arent quite so compimentary of the engine in the new RS5...

"The new engine is a big part of that, as it feels - and sounds - flat. It’s nowhere near as exciting as the old V8, nor the V8 in the Mercedes. Even the turbo straight-six in the BMW M4 has more character."

Sometimes its not just about the numbers and bragging rights in the pub or at the Golf club
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Isleaiw wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:54 am

"The new engine is a big part of that, as it feels - and sounds - flat. It’s nowhere near as exciting as the old V8, nor the V8 in the Mercedes. Even the turbo straight-six in the BMW M4 has more character."

Sometimes its not just about the numbers and bragging rights in the pub or at the Golf club
And after Porsche have breathed on it? :o
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:04 pm

I would not bet on Porsche breathing on it Mike.

Porsche sucked the life out of the SQ5 engine by way of reducing it by 70+ horses and then sticking it in the Macan SD.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Meanwhile back to the PCM... There are two distinct issues here; performance and looks.

Re performance I have no issues - excepting my Nav couldn't find the Chunnel in Calais! Seriously, any issues here are purely software which, one would assume, is relatively easily solved albeit, as has been said re the development of tech, it will always need updating and upgrading.

The other issues of look and ergonomics are much more complicated. Although I suggested the central consul may well change - and this view seems to have some momentum on the forum and in the press - my rationale is based on economics and the way it would visually date during the 5 years up to the 2022-ish relaunch. Whether it's practical or visually fitting is an entirely different question. I actually don't see the Pano look working in the Macan without other elements also changing along Pano lines. And therein lies Porsche's dilemma.

Traditionally they've produced and nurtured an enthusiasts product and many of their traditional customers, as we know from the attitudes to engines and gearboxes, do not hurry to embrace change. If we look across the range the central consul has changed little and this philosophy, whilst developed bit by bit in true Porsche fashion, was quite rightly sold as continuity by Porsche when Macan was launched. However Macan is much more a mass market product and this market has significantly different aspirations and expectations compared to their traditional customer. Porsche must, if they're not already, bear these differences firmly in mind.

The benefit of the Audi, Tesla and now LR approach, whether you like them or not, is that changes can now be very simply made. And if a major visual interface change is required it's still principally a software rewrite with expensive 'hard' item retooling being minimal. Surely this sort of approach has to be the way but whether Porsche go there in the Pano style or another more Macanesque remains to be seen.

Personally I'm much more of a button fan and prefer my eyes on the road.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:14 pm
Dandock wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:04 pm

I would not bet on Porsche breathing on it Mike.

Porsche sucked the life out of the SQ5 engine by way of reducing it by 70+ horses and then sticking it in the Macan SD.
Just reading the 2.9 is the engione in the upcoming NEW Cayenne S, so will see what the writers and early adoptors say. The Macan GTS PSE has a sweet tone when throttled - I am hopeful of a similar 'natural' tone - as you hacve said it not jusrt about numbers and straight line speed.

Electric 718 it is then :)
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If we take a look at the new Audi Q5 then the internal appearance is way behind that of the RR Velar, FPace and light years behind the Panny and even the Taxi company (Merc) have more up to date looking dashboards and switchgear, OK, so the quality of the other Marques is not up to our standards.

Now in our Macan the binnacle behind the steering wheel is typical Porsche and hence only minor tweaks are probably likely.

Its the main PCM and centre console where the updates are required and oh yes please Mr Porsche do something about the hideous roof console and switchgear, the only switches that need be up there are for the Pano all the others should be lower where we can actually see them.

The large LED screen is now the norm and this is what needs to be addressed as the primary visual change, but the main thing is to get the glitched software to work.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Yanwoo

Post by Yanwoo »

Rab J wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 pm No way are they going to change the bulkhead architecture to accommodate a Panamera style dash in a mid model facelift. The Macan is selling well so not much needed other than a few trim and wheel changes.
It has been selling well, but the competitive landscape is changing fast. The F-pace, it's only directish rival available now, seems to be selling well and has navigated it's early demons phase, the velar has just arrived, we've got the e-pace - arguably a more direct competitor from a size perspective - on the near horizon - and the i-pace and audi electric SUV will be launched pretty soon too. All of these, to varying degrees, have or are going to have noticeably more advanced in-car tech and dashboards.

Roll forward to the end of next year with all of these (probably) available, and if the macan is still largely with the same interior dash and tech, it's going to look increasingly tired and dated as we roll into the 2020s.

We also know millennials put more emphasis on their in-car tech than previous generations, so as each year passes, and more millennials are moving through their 20s and 30s into positions where they can afford higher end vehicles, it's arguably becoming a more significant influence in sales.

I'd say it'd be quite the gamble to not upgrade the macan in-car tech to panamera (and cayenne '18) levels.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Yanwoo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:45 pm Roll forward to the end of next year with all of these (probably) available, and if the macan is still largely with the same interior dash and tech, it's going to look increasingly tired and dated as we roll into the 2020s.
Yea, but that's what Porsche does. I mean, have you seen a 911? :lol:
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR