New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I have a good friend at Force India too - Tom McCullough. Great to see them doing well.

happy days

Post by happy days »

Absolutely. I put their continued success down to the front brake ducts (which Sosanna designs...)
Macan S D
718 S
goron59

Post by goron59 »

When I did some digging on wheel weights/unsprung mass variances, a kindly Michelin engineer, explained that the best way to reduce unsprung mass, is to run your tyres almost bald. The lost tread weighs quite a lot.

Of course, that ruins your grip and handling, so what's actually important? Unsprung mass, or handling and ride?

You have to look at the whole system. Picking one dimension and taking it to the extreme vs everything else (like a 1900kg of car plonked on top) is foolhardy.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:09 pm When I did some digging on wheel weights/unsprung mass variances, a kindly Michelin engineer, explained that the best way to reduce unsprung mass, is to run your tyres almost bald. The lost tread weighs quite a lot.

Of course, that ruins your grip and handling, so what's actually important? Unsprung mass, or handling and ride?

You have to look at the whole system. Picking one dimension and taking it to the extreme vs everything else (like a 1900kg of car plonked on top) is foolhardy.
Without a doubt. There is a big variation of weights across a typical choice of Porsche OEM wheels. Some options are surprisingly heavy due to their cosmetic design and most of the Porsche OEM wheels are cast alloy, not even forged which are both lighter and stronger. The fact is that 99% of owners choose their wheels based on the "look" and certainly not on unsprung weight or any other technical factor. I think the Porsche Sport Classics (Fuchs lookalikes) are particularly heavy from memory, but it's a while since I looked. Would you notice a difference in the real world? I very much doubt it as there are so many other parameters affecting both ride and handling - not least tyres and profile.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Certainly on a road car, perhaps not so much on a track or race car where individual components are designed to do one job and not compromise as much as they would in a road car.
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

happy days wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:00 pm Certainly on a road car, perhaps not so much on a track or race car where individual components are designed to do one job and not compromise as much as they would in a road car.
You will see that many of the more committed weekend track day warriors choose aftermarket wheels to save considerable weight. Personally I wouldn't bother unless I was actually racing competitively. Never seen a carbon wheel in F1 or any other top level racing formula. Forged mag alloy dominates pretty much 100%. Maybe Porsche are going to race with these new carbon wheels in future? Or is it just more bling for Turbo S exclusive owners? Time will tell.
happy days

Post by happy days »

At £16k a set I'd go with the Bling...
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

happy days wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:18 pm At £16k a set I'd go with the Bling...
Me too and I think the clue is their choice of vehicle to release these wheels on. Had they appeared on the 918 or GT2 RS as an option, then I would have taken them more seriously. But both those models currently have to make do with forged al or mag alloy wheels. I wonder how they compare on weight to these carbons?
happy days

Post by happy days »

Also if they were that good, why weren't they on the Le Mans winner - or would they need homologation before that?
Macan S D
718 S
goron59

Post by goron59 »

happy days wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:47 pm Also if they were that good, why weren't they on the Le Mans winner - or would they need homologation before that?
WEC 2017 LMP1 rules state that wheel material must be "metallic homogeneous".
Can't have hubcaps either :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR