Just bought a 2014 Turbo

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

happy days wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:47 pm
Bigboyrolo wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:15 pm The Porsche shop (0121 585 6088 - http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/) from £30
Each?
I didn't check, probaly yes, so £120 a set. They take a hammering if the car is driven all year round, as all brands do, the ones on my Jags were just as prone. Perhaps a few cheap sets now and again is better. I painted my new ones in clear lacquer, only time will tell if it helped.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16

GuyW

Post by GuyW »

So I will speak up for the Sports Exhaust. I heard a Turbo with a PSE start up in a car park recently and thought it sounded fantastic. I have a GTS with it too, and love the rasp, both on start up and when pushing on. Puts a smile on my face!

On the alloys, diamond cut alloys always corrode faster than painted and lacquered alloys, so the shiny flat face will often go first. They are also more expensive to retreat, as they have to be put on a lathe and recut, and the lacquered (£150 per alloy?). If you have got 3 years out of them, you have done well.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Read this for the Wheel centres. May be of some help.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5212&hilit=centre+wheel+caps

Ask nicely and sure OPC will be helpful :)
GTS 😀
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

RichardE wrote:Hi

Since the launch, I have been thinking of buying a Diesel Macan but was put off by the waiting time for new and that 2nd hand ones were more expensive than waiting... I was finally persuaded to buy a 3 year old Turbo that had done only 12,500 miles for £20k less than new and also less than a new Diesel S.

What a great car - and my only regret is dithering for 3 years....

The car is tooled up with 21" turbo alloys, pan roof, air suspension and carbon interior.

I have a few questions

The exhaust is very quiet (except on a rich mixture on a cold start) - is a £2.5k retro fit sports exhaust worth it?

The car is immaculate - except for all 4 wheel centres which are corroding - is this normal and would Porsche replace them at 3 years 2 months old?
Good choice on the Turbo, looks great. I spent £2.5k on a retrofit PSE ....... on a diesel. It was a frivolous purchase and not value for money, but I have it on 100% of the time and would definitely spec it again. For me, it gives at least some noise when above 3.5k rpm in the SD. Many people who come in the car don't realise it's a diesel! They clearly haven't heard a GTS with the PSE on start up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome and a great choice.

I pondered including PSE in my own Turbo but decided against it.

I have driven two Macans with PSE the last one being a Turbo, I ended up turning it off as I could not stand the constant drone.

Without PSE you still get a roar when accelerating and that does it for me.

Suggest you hunt around for a demo Macan or second hand one which has PSE and arrange a test drive. Or have a word with the OPC where you bought your Turbo and ask them to find one for you to test drive before you get them to do a retrofit.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Retired

Post by Retired »

What Col Lamb said.

My car has PSE, no choice with PP, and I turn it off as soon as I select Sport or Sport + and never turn it on in comfort mode.

Only thing it's good for is impressing kids with loud Fiestas / Corsas etc. when they gather in a local car park.

As above, it's not only loud but it drones as well.

All IMO of course.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

RichardE wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 am Hi. Since the launch, I have been thinking of buying a Diesel Macan but was put off by the waiting time for new and that 2nd hand ones were more expensive than waiting... I was finally persuaded to buy a 3 year old Turbo that had done only 12,500 miles for £20k less than new and also less than a new Diesel S.

What a great car - and my only regret is dithering for 3 years....

The car is tooled up with 21" turbo alloys, pan roof, air suspension and carbon interior...

The car is immaculate - except for all 4 wheel centres which are corroding - is this normal and would Porsche replace them at 3 years 2 months old?
Welcome, Richard E (Grant) ? ;)

Many congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Porsche family. :)

To get a 3 year old car that is as new (apart from easily replaced wheel centres) is a great result. Love the 21" 911 Turbo wheels!

I too am pondering a retro-fit PSE, so I am reading the responses with interest... :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

GuyW wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:00 pm So I will speak up for the Sports Exhaust. I heard a Turbo with a PSE start up in a car park recently and thought it sounded fantastic. I have a GTS with it too, and love the rasp, both on start up and when pushing on. Puts a smile on my face!
The standard exhaust sound on my S is very raspy, loud and impressive when starting from cold. The engine initially revs at 1100 ish but after 35/40 secs they drop to 800 and the sound has gone. I suspect that perhaps some flaps are opened in the pipework that then close. (Please advise on this) I would think all the standard exhaust V6 petrols will be the same. It's enough for me, very impressive in an echoey place such as an underground garage. When I accelerate through the gears to 6000rpm, the exhaust note is impressive above 3500rpm . When the PDK changes down for me under braking, perhaps from 5th to 2nd, I'm sure I've heard pops and crackles. Again, It's enough for me, so even the initial cost or retro-fit cost is too much for me. BTW, I don't drive like that with Mrs B aboard and would definitely turn it off when cruising.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
VanB

Post by VanB »

Sports exhaust? Save your money as it drones on the motorway and you soon get bored with it to the point you never bother turning it on. Mine was standard on the GTS but I definitely wouldn't have paid £2.5k to retro fit one. As for wheel centres, if you bought from an OPC and you ask nicely I would expect them to replace FOC unless they are utter wankers as they cost pennies to produce and customer service is important
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Welcome to the forum, Richard! 🤓

Appart from the sound enhancement, the PSE also has much nicer tail pipe chrome trims (black ones are optional).
They look much nicer than the standard square ones, just my two pence. ;-)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0