New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
missile

Post by missile »

I am just about to trade my Boxster for a Macan. I am completely lost trying to decide what options I must have, need, want or could do without.

photo 2.jpg

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Welcome missile. Buckle down and cheque book at the ready as there's nothing this forum loves more than a blank canvas.👹

Seriously, as I suspect you've been looking around the forum prior to taking the leap you'll be aware that you're going to read a variety of contributions from a friendly and hugely experienced membership.

Do you know what model you're looking for? From the picture of your beautiful Boxster I'm thinking GTS.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Oh man have you come to the right place or maybe the wrong place lol.

Start us off with model or engine. Alternatively just make it easy and tell us you already know the GTS is best and the model you want. After that add a few options and you're good to go.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome, assuming that that is your car and we see that it has Classic wheels, that can be the first box to tick with the Macan Confuserator.

Add PS+, spare wheel, interior light pack, rev cam to any Macan variant.

The base 2.0 litre, SD and S do not have PASM or decent headlights and only have 8 way seats fitted so PASM and at least Xenons need to be added and 14/18 way seats.

The GTS and Turbo models do come with a different set of inclusive items that are extras on the lesser variants.

Suggestions generally are to keep extras within £8-12k unless its a keeper then go to town on precisely what you want.

Then you are good to go with the nice to have extras of choice.

Read the thread on what to specify.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4942
Last edited by Col Lamb on Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Alternatively here is a bunch of general advice.

The base 2.0 litre, SD and S are in reality stripped down cars with just the minimum of fitment inclusions. A test drive of a very basic Macan will still give the impression of a great performing and handling car, especially if you are not used to driving this type of car. That said with the inclusion of some basic fitments the Macan is transformed into the supreme SUV in its class.

Only you can answer what you want out of your Macan ownership, but please if you are limiting the budget what you are going to spec please spec wisely.

What follows is related to a Macan supplied to the UK, please note that a basic Macan supplied to other countries may well be configured differently with different combination of extras available when compared to the UK.

My suggestion of the minimum inclusions in the specification of any Macan that I would buy is these:-

14 or 18 way seats .
Basic non GTS 8 way seats have a flat back and are not as comfortable as the upgrades, GTS 8 way seem more comfortable than standard, however do test drive a Macan fitted with the 8 way seats if considering retaining them.

Xenon lights .
Basic halogens are questionable in their capabilities, most owners with halogens regret not upgrading. If funds allow LEDs are a quantum leap improvement over Xenons, they also include the adaptive headlight function.

PASM.
Gives adjustable suspension which results in a smoother ride and better handling capabilities, this really is the key inclusion to have to get the best ride and handling in a Macan.

20" wheels.
A personal choice, 20" gives a good compromise on looks, handling and kerb management.

PS+.
Lightens steering load at parking speeds then progressively reduces to zero assist at road speeds.

Spare wheel.
Plus two purchased cans of sealant / inflator gives options in the event of a flat and especially an unrepairable/damaged tyre/wheel.

Reversing camera.
Rear quarter vision is poor, to check out yourself in a test drive by parallel parking the demo car, if funds allow then Surround Camera is even better.

Interior light pack,
Replaces bulbs with LEDs for a more pleasing interior look and the all important illuminated mirrors.

Other popular inclusions are:-
Pano sunroof, lightens a dark interior
Tinted glass, purely for looks and it enhances the stealth look with blacked out trim
SD mirrors, an aesthetic choice often fitted due to the questionable quality of standard mirror mount.
Colour matched side blades, enhances look and will aid cleaning.
Roof rails, its an SUV so kind of expected, but looks equally great without
Heated seats, useful.
Heated steering wheel, a favourite of mine that gets used more than the heated seats.
Sports Chrono, gives dial in top centre of dash plus launch control and more aggressive gearbox and throttle maps.
Porsche Sports Exhaust, do note that PSE is an aural performance addition only and has no power increase benefits.
Leather upgrades, an almost universal upgrade on non GTS Macans.
Smoking pack, covers the hole in front of drinks holders.
ACC, gives adaptive cruise control which is far better than standard, it also includes Porsche Active Safe braking system which is not fitted unless ACC is specified.

Ordering process:-
£3k deposit starts process, deposit fully refundable until lockdown of spec
Circa six weeks later Porsche at Silverstone PEC invite for 1/2 day driving on the circuits, check prior posts.
Six weeks prior to build is the lockdown date for the vehicle spec and signage to commit to the order
Build, 3 working days
Car enters compound awaiting delivery to OPC
Delivery 7-30 days with 20 days an average.
Then its PDI and pick up

Admin at the OPC can access the main Porsche intranet in Germany where they can see the codes, the main ones are:-
V250 Vehicle fixed (which is the final build code)
V260 Vehicle enters bodyshop
V270 Vehicle exits production
V300 Vehicle completion
V311 Vehicle enters compound
V312 Vehicle exits compound
V330 Vehicle enters (the Port of) Emden compound

***** The most important advice I can suggest is to test drive a Macan which has the same seats, wheel size, suspension and steering as you intend to specify *****
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
missile

Post by missile »

Many thanks for the welcome and your enthusiastic responses. I shall mull over your comments and post up my code later.

I have really enjoyed owning my Boxster and will be sorry to part with it, but we have two cars and decided that is an expensive luxury. My dealer has offered me a reasonable trade in on both. He has two Macan S diesel on pre order for delivery in October. I can spec one to my requirements, before lockdown last week September.

Strangely WBAC has offered me £1,000 more for my Boxster and I intend to sell it to them this week. :-(
happy days

Post by happy days »

I would start with your Boxster as the basis - what does it have that you absolutely can't do without? What has it that you wouldn't bother with again. Then start drooling...
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Your dealer is not being truthful.

Lockdown is six werks prior to build, with deliverly being from 7-30 days on completion of build.

Hence with a lockdown the end of Sept that would mean a collection about Christmas.

I am at variance with many but the SD is not the variant you should be considering unless you do 12,000 miles and longish journeys above 50mph into the office.

Read up on the DPF issues that quite a significant number of owners have experienced, for me the potential problems totally negate any value in going with an SD.

I have had both diesel and petrol Macans, and petrol wins by a considerable margin.
Col
Macan Turbo
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Hi Missile, I have the S Diesel, it is a fantastic car and the ideal power plant for an SUV such as the Macan.
I have had zero DPF problems and I am driving under the 12000 miles per year with a mixture of journey types.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Timings seem to be guesswork, my SE didn't guarantee anything but his estimates were about right.

QC can delay delivery substantially on a random basis but I haven't heard of any lately. Maybe more common
on new models?

My build was 20th and left factory on Wednesday, est delivery 14 days later so i'll wait and see and try not to get too excited.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab