Hi everbody.....Petrol or Diesel ( Due to the recent admissions from Porsche)

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I suggest that you drive the SD, S and GTS before finally deciding. I f you like the torque of a diesel, then you will love the SD especially in Sport mode :o :roll: Great performance and surprisingly economical in my experience for a 3.0....
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Mike and his Macan wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:54 amI spoke to the Opc yesterday and he told me I could not order a Macan sd today,i said to him that I would not want to buy a potentially compromised car and he agreed, and said I would have to wait until a solution is found.
Interesting. Quite significant if the SE was authorised to say that Diesel Macans are compromised and shouldn't be ordered. Is this happening across the dealer network?
pj191k89
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Not sure to be honest, I wouldn't want to say as far as I am concerned the conversation was private, and as I have a lot of respect for him I don't wish to compromise him in any way, either way though pulling 3.0D from the panamera from the configuration is an admission. I have had the joy of several test drives, and a weekend with a SD and had my heart set on it...drove Standard. Pasm, air, liked the pasm model ,all with 21 inch tyres.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
FMR

Post by FMR »

I would echo the sentiments above and give a GTS a good test drive. Totally different engine characteristics to your 640d. 500 nm torque vs 630nm? I found myself in sport mode in the GTS most of the time, then using the paddles to change up because comfort mode was too "sluggish" for my normal driving. I now have a TPP which is a completely different animal with 600nm torque, so I rarely even put it in sport mode and the added bonus of a whopping extra 2 mpg @ 23 ave!
New Macan Turbo Mar 20
991 C4GTS Mar 19
Macan TPP Mar 17 sold
Macan GTS Mar 16 sold
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Mike and his Macan wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:34 pm Not sure to be honest, I wouldn't want to say as far as I am concerned the conversation was private, and as I have a lot of respect for him I don't wish to compromise him in any way, either way though pulling 3.0D from the panamera from the configuration is an admission. I have had the joy of several test drives, and a weekend with a SD and had my heart set on it...drove Standard. Pasm, air, liked the pasm model ,all with 21 inch tyres.
I have an SD with PASM and 21 inch wheels and it is a great car. Like you, I prefer the low down torque and drive characteristics of the diesel and with sport and sport plus modes I don't find a problem with any "power lag". In my opinion it is the perfect engine for the car combining performance with economy.
Don't be too worried about people on here scaremongering about residuals as I am not sure that a 3.0 litre petrol is going to fare any better once the market gets inundated with better hybrid/ electric models.
Mike and his Macan

As for the GTS I'm waiting for the face lift model...which I assume will come with the Audi sourced new 2.9 twin turbo engine that is now in the Sq5.... in fact I'm going to drive one just to get a feel for the engine... I'm sure once Porsche gets hold of it it's going to be better. Will update shortly.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Mike and his Macan

Just to add the 640 has a very linear power delivery Audi engines in my opion seem more "Frantic" lower down in the rev range. What did you drive before you had the GTS? (FMR)
J88

Post by J88 »

Agree with many of the above; sad to say our Diesel has a 4 mile commute and less than 3K a year ( so yes I should buy petrol) but I am blown away by the diesel and the gearbox. it replaced an E class.
I swore blind I would never own a diesel? ex TVR , Saab, That Merc pulled like a train, gave it to my son and it is still running- just!
The Macan has returned exactly the same mpg on wifes little commute 32mpg.
Have had no issues with Particulate filter- yet and just had second service at 29K miles.

Maybe I shouLD change to petrol? A nice yellow one in Sheffield.
Mike and his Macan

Yellow would certainly brighten up the day. I dad had a yellow cortina ( LMY 821KI still remember the ref!! I wrote the post to try and get some feeling about people's views in regards to Porcshe admitting to havening found cheat software on there models. If I owned a diesel Sd at this time I would not be to worried , but buying a brand new one at this time does not make sense to me after the SdS being banned from sales in various countries, and no disclosure from Porcshe in regards to the fix. So I would not sell my SD if I had one ... unless it did suffer from the problems mentioned.
Mike and his Macan

Sunday morning spelling!πŸ˜‘