Hi everbody.....Petrol or Diesel ( Due to the recent admissions from Porsche)

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Would like to start with saying big hello to every one on this site. And I look forward to hearing any advise you might share with me.

Ok...so around 4 months, my back and knees decided that getting in and out of a sports coupe just to much! plus I wanted more visibility.

I placed a order with an OPC around 3 months ago on a facelift Macan mode s Diesel, although it technically a order for the current model, I just haven't been locked down to the 6 week period. It seems now that the facelift model is about to be launched very shortly , so I will have to decide a model/spec.

My heart was set on the diesel s, however after the recent admissions from Porsche and others including BMW (which I currently have) I am extremely wary of buying . My mileage is only around 9k a year but on fast flowing roads, at least twice a week for over 20 mins.( I have a 640d at the Moment) and have no dpf problems with it, so my decision to stick to diesel seemed ok, until the press coverage in Germany ( De Spigel) and Autocar.

So my choice is either a compromised Diesel ( your view please!)l or a petrol, and jugging from what I read the GTS would be the safe bet ( new engine?) However I just love the torque from the diesel.

Look forward to hearing any comments.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now ๐Ÿ˜Š

happy days

Post by happy days »

Nor sure if there is a new model imminent - that was the Cayenne. There are rumours about a facelifted Macan, but not real confirmations as yet.
Macan S D
718 S
Pete

Post by Pete »

A lot of regulars here on the forum started out with diesels and then moved over to petrol variants, mainly for reasons of power delivery/sound/manliness. If you're click-happy on the options, then a GTS gives you fairly good value.

I have a diesel and I'm extremely happy with it and have no intention of changing it over any time soon.

There might be a loss of residual value come trade-in time but then with the impending change over to hybrid/EV vehicles, I think those losses will eventually cover petrol variants as well (but this will probably come later).

I'm more than happy with the performance, comfort, and MPG of my current SD, which stands head and shoulders over my old Evoque.

Stand by for the following posts who will all extol the virtues of choosing petrol instead.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I still love the torque, power and MPG of the diesel and would probably still buy one even although my mileage is a bit lower than yours.

If you drive into cities probably better to go with the petrol. If you do a lot of short journeys probably better to go with the petrol.

No one has a crystal ball so it is difficult to know how the Macan will be affected by new government legislation - it may not be affected ( as it is relatively clean) or it may get banned from cities and get huge parking charges. :?
Mike and his Macan

Thanks, I have my fingers crossed, but I am prepared to wait for the new model ...which might be a good thing at the moment! Ps sorry for the spelling its "De Spiegel" on line.

I guess what I am saying is that Germany has banned the sale of them, as have the USA/Canada/Switzerland, Porsche are saying they will fix the problem and recall the cars affected ie Macan/Cayenne , my real worry is what is that fix going to be? how will it affect the engines MPG/BHP , if a car is running as per the factory settings ( the way it was made to be) effectively the fix will have to change the factory settings.... therefore changing the characteristics of the car, so if they could not make the car "right" at the factory, how are the hoping to do this now, My OPC salesman is not allowed to talk about it to me!! Hope this makes sense. :?:
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now ๐Ÿ˜Š
Pete

Post by Pete »

From what I've read on the forums, the "emissions fix" reportedly affected MPG, but this settled after a period of driving.

To be honest, I'm not sure why current new cars cannot be sold unless the test-sensor is corrected when there's currently a fix that's been applied (on a voluntary basis) to existing vehicles.
Deleted User 1877

Post by Deleted User 1877 »

My Diesel S is currently about to leave the factory on its journey to myself. I'll be driving circa 20-25k a year in it based on my past 5 years driving history.

I've come from a rejected RR evoque (2nd one, 1st was perfect) and my dealer knows me well enough now to know that I won't entertain a car with potential issues.

We have had multiple talks on this, I've even talked to the technicians about it.

In my opinion, to which everyone has one, like other things, if I were you I would go down the petrol route. I'd be concerned at 9k a year you may just not be driving the diesel as much as it needs.

I've tried the GTS and it was phenomenal, however I can bet the petrol S is no slouch either. I did seriously consider an S, however with my miles, it wouldn't work for me. If the light dares comes on for me they know I'll come down on them like a ton of bricks ;-)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Again welcome.

The facelifted Macan, is due to be announced......... goodness knows when.

Spy shots have been around for what seems like an age with the rear end badly taped up just where the light bar rear a la Panamera and newly updated Cayenne would be. So we are reasonably expecting that and a few cosmetics on the facelifted Macan.

My guess is that it will be shown at the Frankfurt Show in a couple of weeks or Geneva in March, this is just my guess and I may be widly wrong.

The SD is a very capable motor but at 9k a year it depends upon the type of journeys you do, short ones then forget an SD as it will not get up to temperature and the DPF may give you problems. Do read up on the issues some members have had with said DPF.

I had an SD that was trouble free but I just could not get on with it as I am still convinced that Porsche have deliberately detuned its capabilities (it is an Audi sourced engine that produces over 330 horses in the SQ5) and I simply just did not like the way the delivery plateaus.

It may not be as simple as you think in changing from an SD as Porsche allocations are not model specific, they are variant specific, that is say 5 SD a month, 1 GTS, 1 Turbo and an S every two months. Best to discuss with your SE if you do consider changing.

I initially coded a GTS then found that a Turbo would be not that more expensive and opted to go that route and nealy a year in I do not regret one little bit getting rid of the SD.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20โ€ wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Thanks for your suggestions, and your reasoning . I Spoke to the OPC today and they tell me i could not now order a diesel Macan (today) if i wanted to!! Thanks for the advise in regards to the model, i had no idea about that, now i understand the long lead times and the reason for the great residual value on the GTS/Turbo.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Pete wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:30 pm A lot of regulars here on the forum started out with diesels and then moved over to petrol variants, mainly for reasons of power delivery/sound/manliness. If you're click-happy on the options, then a GTS gives you fairly good value.
Yep, it's amazing how people swearing blind that the SD is "all you'll ever need" etc etc, then went a bit quiet and switched to petrol :)

Still, the vocal population on this forum is a tiny tiny proportion of the Macan buying public, so don't take any of it too seriously !
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR