Hi everbody.....Petrol or Diesel ( Due to the recent admissions from Porsche)

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Lots of happy SD owners on here! :D Pleased with their purchases and with no plan on selling any time soon...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

LLL

Post by LLL »

I'd go for Petrol or wait for the hybrid that will come next year if you want to save some fuel and smooth sailing in cities :)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Looking forward to seeing details of the Macan e-hybrid. :geek:
Simon

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Why SD vs GTS and not S?
Also when comparing torque between diesel and petrol variants, you have to remember that the diesel will need to have higher gear ratios for the lower engine speed, so you can't compare engine torque figures directly. Torque available at the axle will actually be lower at any given road speed for SD vs S, hence why the S is significantly faster on acceleration. Obviously rpm is higher with the petrol, so perhaps less relaxing to drive, but there is no torque disadvantage, in fact quite the opposite with such a large power advantage to the S in this comparison.

As much as I like diesels for everyday cruising, in this case I'd take the S over the SD for its significant power advantage alone. Looking ahead to the facelift, the inevitable hybrid could be a great option too and will have mega-torque on tap from what I've read.
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Hi, good points. I basically was not really matching the Sd Against the GTS or S, The GTS sounded like the one I might go for( As a second choice), however I haven't driven both. I literally spent the last 3 months researching the SD, and having numerous test drives in it with different set ups.like I say I was totally sold on it .On the bright side more test drives to do. 🙃 Where have you read about the Hybrid Macan?
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Hybrid Macan has been mentioned in several magazine articles relating to the facelift, but it may not be available immediately on launch. It actually looks more powerful than the "Turbo", but will be heavier with the additional motor and batteries. As with most hybrids it will probably only make sense if you are doing mainly short journeys with the ability to plug in at each end. With a flat battery it's all just dead weight to haul around. Other things I noted on the facelift are new Audi sourced petrol engines i.e. 3.0 litre for the S and GTS and more powerful 2.9 litre for the Turbo. The rest is all minor cosmetics, nothing of major interest. It will be interesting if they even offer a diesel version at all given the current climate.
Mike and his Macan

My thought as well..I don't have access to plug in either! And I too think the petrol engines are going to be Audi. Going to the OPC t discuss my options tomorrow. Hoping to swap order over from SD to GTS .However I want to drive the S back to back with the GTS which I might find hard to do.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The GTS has a specific look by way of external and internal finishes when compared to any other Macan.

The GTS has a lowered and slightly different suspension set up which initially gave it the best handling.

The GTS has 2 horses more than the petrol S.

The GTS has PSE as standard compared to other variants (PSE is £1600 plus extra in others variants).

Now to me the GTS has been eclipsed by the Turbo PP which has the same suspension as the GTS but with 80 more horses.

Whilst the GTS may on paper seem ideal it all depends upon what you want out of the car.

So do list all the extras you want included and config an S and a GTS with the same extras and see what the botom line is for both.

When I costed an S it was £60k and the GTS £67k, at that price I looked at a Turbo and went that route.

Keep your options open as all Macans handle far better than other marques its just that two variants handle that bit better BUT when on the road are you going to use that extra handling capabilities?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Thanks Col that really helps... I configured the s to 59, and the GTS to 64k as I'm poorer than you!however I am willing to consider donations ... did you drive both...anyone??
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col, I think you meant to say that the GTS has 20 more horsepower than the petrol S. ;)

I think for many buyers, the jump in price from GTS to Turbo PP might be a bit of a stretch - an extra £11,347! :o

Petrol S with 340hp £48,287
GTS with 360hp. £58,158
Turbo PP with 440hp £69,505

:ugeek:
Simon