Hi everbody.....Petrol or Diesel ( Due to the recent admissions from Porsche)

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
VanB

Post by VanB »

Given the number of dpf problems being reported in low mileage SDs I would be inclined to go petrol if at all possible. I also agree with Col above about the diesel unit being hog-tied in terms of performance to say nothing of the horrible turbo lag I experienced test driving one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I didn't notice a great deal of lag, but found if i quickly put my foot down there was a delay, not as sharp as the 640, and yes i asked the same question " Why put a Detuned engine into a Porsche" "So if i wanted a faster car, i should by the Audi?"
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now ๐Ÿ˜Š
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The lag with the SD affects it to me quite badly in Comfort mode, put foot down a reasonably long way and wait then it changes gear and takes off.

Sport mode is the way with an SD, only putting it in Comfort mode when cruising or tootling along at reasonable speeds out of town.

In any Macan, floor the gas, quickly lift off and floor it again automatically shifts down two gears (if available). It certainly does it faster than I can click down on the flappy thingies.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20โ€ wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I am not sure that its lag as much as emissions control that holds a current diesel back at low revs. The fuel control unit won't allow excess fuel to be injected into the engine until its spinning fast enough to burn it efficiently. That's why you don't see belching black smoke from modern diesel cars. Run the engine in sport which keeps the revs up and it will accelerate briskly when ask to.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Mike and his Macan wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:15 pm I Spoke to the OPC today and they tell me i could not now order a diesel Macan (today) if i wanted to!!
Did they explain why?
pj191k89
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Nobleman wrote:
Mike and his Macan wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:15 pm I Spoke to the OPC today and they tell me i could not now order a diesel Macan (today) if i wanted to!!
Did they explain why?
That would be my question too. Would be very interested to know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Welcome.
Even though you may not do the miles for a diesel it does sound like your type of driving will be fine for a diesel.
But I do think unfortunately the negativity with diesel in general (not just porsche) is not going away. Personally I would go petrol and also because of your mileage is perfect too.
I just returned after 300 mile trip in my GTS and managed around 28 mpg. Not the most spirited drive but lots of a roads behind other cars sticking to the limits etc.
If you did high miles and relevant driving style then obviously a diesel is an obvious choice...
GTS ๐Ÿ˜€
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, Mike! ๐Ÿ‘

It does seem odd that the OPC wouldn't sell you an SD 'today'. The Macan SD still appears on the configurator, as does the Cayenne SD. It's only the Panamera SD that has disappeared... :ugeek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Spud

Post by Spud »

Hi Mike, my view for what it is worth, I've had 3 Macan's , first two petrol current Diesel, personally I can't say I noticed any real difference in performance both versions are tremendous, the only reason I went Diesel was mileage, at 9,000 miles per annum I would definitely go the Petrol route .
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
Guy

Post by Guy »

VanB wrote: โ†‘Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:25 pm Given the number of dpf problems being reported in low mileage SDs I would be inclined to go petrol if at all possible.
No problem at all in my 'low mileage' SD - just 11000miles in two years. I would argue that annual/overall mileage is irrelevant, it's usage that is the factor of comparison. I use mine mainly for trip away outside the city, typically journeys of one hour plus.