New Member - about to press the button

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
RoyF

Post by RoyF »

Morning All,

I've recently signed up to this forum, and found a lot of really good information, which has been a really great help so far, so thank you to everyone for that.

I'm very close to pressing the button on what will be my first ever Porsche vehicle, and this is what I have configured so far:-

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJXRUF45

I definitely want to go the diesel route, all my vehicles have been diesel for many years, I like the way they drive, the low down torque, and would rather pay more either up front or loose out on any possible future trade in, than have more visits to the pumps. I will do probably 10 to 14k miles a year or so and look to keep the vehicle probebly 5 or 6 years or more which is the norm for me.

The trouble is I've been doing too much research for my own good, and what has stopped me pressing the order button so far is as follows:-

1) Facelift next year maybe? Minor changes but the rear lights look to be the most noticeable, not overly concerned with this, but anyone have any inside info as to when the facelift will eventually appear?..... My plan is to order in the next few weeks and time it for a March 18 delivery. Don't really want to take it back end of 2017, and then I might as well wait a few weeks more for the 1st March plus possible better weather.

2) Bigger concern is the Diesel Engine, I've read (Whatcar and others) that they have had the VW/Audi defeat software to cheat emmissions. New Sales of the 3.0 diesel hase been stopped in Germany by the Authorities and also in the US. The New Cayenne doesn't seem to have a Diesel Engine option for now, the Panamera no longer avalable with the 3.0 V6 Diesel either? Guess these are all very similar engines ?

3) Software update to the Diesel Macan's taht are already out there, does this hit performance / BHP / MPG in any way? I wouldn't want to loose out on any of these from the stated figures.

4) DPF Issues, whilst I would expect any problems to be readily sorted by the OPC, I wouldn 't want to buy a quality car expecting to return it to the dealer, so is it just a small percentage that have issues, and do we know why ? Has the software upadte had any impact on the DPF faults?

5) Finally, the list price on the configurator, is this generally the 'price we all pay', or is there negotiating room on that? To be honest I do like the idea of all cars being the same price, take it or leave it. It cuts out all that negotiating nonsence, but at the same time I don't want to pay full 'screen price' if the general rule of thumb is that most cars are sold at £1k under list or whatever, or dealers are happy to add one or two free upgrades in with the cost.

Appreciate any views that you have.

Many Thanks, Roy

Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Hi Roy, I was in the same position as you... months of research only to hear the news on DPF problems..and facelift. I cancelled my order on the SD and am now hoping to buy facelift petrol, my advise would be the same to you, I love the Diesel engine but no way would I buy a SD unfortunately, mainly because the engine has now I feel been manipulated and is obviously causing issues for some.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Sorry to advise against but the SD is not the one to go for.

Despite your mileage you and anyone else buying an SD runs the risk of DPF going into limp home mode.

Whilst many have had no problems, including me with the SD that I had you need to proceed with caution if you do go the SD route.

Discuss concerns with the dealer principle and negotiate a no quibble return of the car for a full refund if you have concerns.

A significant few on this forum have even had their SD taken back by their OPC and offset against a different variant.

Do read up on the thread of what to include by way of extras as they make a good car great if the right extras are fitted.

Lockdown of spec is 6 weeks prior to build with delivery in the range 7-30 days. Lead times at present look like 4-5 months. Best to ring a few OPCs to test drive as many variants as you can to help you decide.

If it were me looking to spend £60k on a Macan I would go with a GTS.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
johnd

Post by johnd »

Just to comment on 3 and 4:

My SD is about 16 months' old now and 14K miles. It's had the firmware update and there's no detectable difference in MPG (which is a true 32 as per Fuelly - see sig below) and, if anything, performance feels perkier than before, though that's probably just general loosening up.

Journey profile is a mix of shorter journeys during the week but I always try to do at least one longer (40-50 mile plus) open road journey a week on average. In the months to date, I've only had one preliminary DPF warning, which promptly disappeared with a bit of open-road motoring in manual mode. There clearly are one or two unlucky owners who have had significant DPF issues, but I suspect that there would be considerably more reports in the forum if it were any more than a very small unlucky minority who were affected.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Pete

Post by Pete »

I don't believe there's a significant issue with DPF on the Macans. Those few people who have had issues are simply pretty vocal about it (the internet is what it is in that respect).

I've seen reports that the software "fix" for the emissions initially hits MPG, but it then goes back to normal. I'm seeing an average of 45mpg out of mine (but then I drive it normally most of the time).

I think that in the time that you keep the diesel, you won't be affected that much financially. You'll lose money come sale time, but the impending "electric car" thing will hit diesels and petrols. The SD has the latest EURO6 compliant engine, so won't be penalised as much as the older, dirtier engines.

Porsche don't like to negotiate on their prices much. They know that people building into a premium brand can afford the prices.

I've been more than happy with my SD, even though the trend currently on the forum is to convince you that it's the worst option.
mike0zero

Post by mike0zero »

Hi Roy

In same position but have ordered the SD in same colour as you, managed to change an OPC existing stock order and expect delivery in a few weeks.

I believe there will be Diesels for both Cayenne and Panamera in the fulness of time and the whole Dieselgate thing for me is overblown but everybody to their own.

Driven a diesel for last 15 years and just love the endless torque available in any gear allowing for effortless driving and great fuel economy, yes I know there will be many who say why mention fuel economy in the same breath as a Porsche but we are talking about a Macan here, that is a very sensible and practical non sports car that just happens to handle best in class and is as capable as many saloon cars but a Cayman..911 it is not.

Will it depreciate more than petrol model, maybe, who knows but to be honest I am not too worried about that either, for me it is driving the car that suits my current needs and driving style.

I test drove virtually every SUV in this market - Volvo XC90/60/ BMW X3/X5/ Audi SQ5/ Velar/ Jaguar FPace/ Merc GLC - all Diesels, all decent cars but none of them anywhere near as engaging to drive as the Macan, as for deals maybe you can get £1k or some extras thrown in off but not much more.

Good luck in your decision whatever that might be, in either you will have a fabulous car that hopefully will serve you well for many years to come.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

“Endless torque?” I thought it drops off at 2500rpm.

More like “high low-end torque so long as you don’t run out of gears.”
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Welcome Roy,

Nice spec :)
First i would consider if you want Entry and drive. Read the various threads about security regarding this to decide.

A number of people are concerned about the diesel issues but there are also a number of people who have not been put off and still pressing ahead.
All i would say is i would base it on your driving style and not necessarily the millage you do. Like all newer diesels the DPF and software updates (not just Porsche) work a little differently and if you do not do enough long runs may cause some issues.

It seems most of the recent problems are related to the latest software update and some of the historic issues may have been down to low millage . driving style issues. A combination as well as some faults i am sure.
In the scale of how many Macan diesels have been sold the amount of problems listed on this site is very small though. (look at some other manufacturer forums and full of DPF issues)

There are discounts available but dont expect too much. If you get £1k off then you done well as most have not had this. Just get a good relationship with your SE is all i will say.. A few freebies on collection too is possible but again the car speaks for itself and i doubt any of us would walk away from it if thee was no discount or freebies.

Some good info above but personally i would look at your driving style which will determine if you should go down the diesel route.
The SD is a great drive
GTS 😀
Guy

Post by Guy »

goron59 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:14 pm “Endless torque?” I thought it drops off at 2500rpm.

More like “high low-end torque so long as you don’t run out of gears.”
You should be OK in UK ... :D

IMG_0207.JPG

goron59

Post by goron59 »

Yes. “Should be ok” is what we all aspire to :-)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR