Hi and advice please for a newby in Melbourne

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Macan GTS specced and ordered 20 September .
I took over one of the retailers slots at short notice and was told on 17 October the car had been built and was in QA at Leipzig awaiting ship allocation.
From there it will be anything from 34 to 46 days across the many oceans to Melbourne .
From placing order to taking delivery should be around 12 weeks so very lucky compared to many others.
I have read some of the posts and am wondering about paint protection .
It would be really helpful to have any views on :
Is it worth it if annual usage will be fairly low at I guess around 12-15k kms. ?
Is the preferred application Gtechniq CSL plus EXO ?
What are the differences if an application is used and can you really see the difference ?
Has anyone used Pomponazzi paint protection which some of the Melbourne detailers claim is the absolute very best ?
Sorry about all the questions, a little info or advice would be great.
Cheers

Paul

Post by Paul »

Those who have had Gtech applied will swear by it (because they have paid for it😉)
It all depends how “fussy” you are and how much time and effort you are prepared to put in subsequently to keep the car looking clean. Paint protection doesn’t give the car a magic force field...you’ll still get stone chips, swirls when washing if you’re not careful, bird droppings, car park dings.....
It does make the car easier to clean, and you’ll get the benefit of an initial paint correction if a pro-detailer applies it.
(Not heard of Pomponazzi, sorry. Sounds like an Italian ice-cream!)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Welcome Stevo.

If you plan on washing your own car then its worth considering.
If you are planning on taking it to a car wash then its not worth the money to be honest.

The machine polish will give you great results and put the paintwork in the best condition and then Gtechniq CS Black topped with Exo is the top solution. I have this on all my cars and it makes washing so easy.
CS Black topped with Exo is something that has to be applied by a professional detailer with experience of it.
From the research i have done there does NOT appear to be an accredited Gtechniq detailer in Australia.

Based on that i would look for an alternative as any high end Ceramic sealant coating will give you similar results.
Its important on who applies the product as well as what product so its best suited to see who you have locally to you and what they offer.

Whatever you do the Macan will look great.
What is your full specification for the Macan?
GTS 😀
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I'd say go for a wrap!
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

I have Gtechnic on my Turbo and love it, not for the looks, which is stunning but because I want a finish that is easy to clean and this fits the bill perfectly.

If you decide on a wrap please do your homework, as I have seen a post on another forum where a Pro Wrapper said he would not wrap his own car, apparently he wraps commercial vehicles.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Tim92gts wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:25 pm I'd say go for a wrap!
I have heard that bright green is the most dirt-repellent! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Hi all
Thanks for the replies.
I have thought of a wrap but are not in favour.
I think there are a number of approved Gtechniq detailers in Melbourne including for example grandsportdetailing.com.au who have a very comprehensive website and positive feedback.
As to the spec of the GTS some may think it a little different as it is not red or black and will probably end up looking more like a Turbo.
In Australia there seems to be a craze at the moment for grungy black cars with black wheels. I think Jeep started it off with a cheap model that became popular then BMW Mercedes and Audi offered similar options.
As such I didn’t want a Macan that would blend into the crowd.
I’ve gone for Agate Grey with a contrast to the darkened lights and front and rear panels, side blades in self color and 911 wheels, silver aluminum frames and silver exhausts. Inside is all black with brushed black aluminum .
Few options including compass, glass roof, comfort seats for a bad back, comfort lighting and some safety stuff.
Retailer is throwing in floor mats as part of haggle and discount deal.
The code is www.porsche-code.com/PJ4RCPE0
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

I had my Macan done with Gtechniq in Canberra last year and was very happy but when I got the Cayenne I seem to have forgotten about it and don't notice the difference. Both easy to clean. Actually the Cayenne is black black- no metallic- which does make a difference.
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel
Sold: Macan SD
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hi Stevo and a warm welcome. In the UK Porsche include carpet floor mats free of charge ;) , so you may want to check if that's the case in Oz with another OPC dealer! What car do you have now / replacing? With that spec I'm sure you are going to love your new GTS. 8-)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Hi SAC1
Thanks for the welcome.
My previous car was a Mercedes GLC250, before that an ML, SLK300, Audi A5.
Before that in the UK, another Audi A5, BMW 540, Audi TT, Mercedes E320. As you can see, a bit of a German thing.
The latest Mercedes was a very similar color to VG which put me of of having VG on the GTS. The color looked great when clean but just a coat of dust, the pearlescent vanished and it looked very dull and boring.
Melbourne tends to have very little rain but sun and dust are the issues for cars here.
Just waiting for the GTS to be allocated a ship in Bremerhaven then a six week wait.
Cheers.