Looking to migrate from BMW to Porsche after 26 years ownership

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Z4gadgetman

Post by Z4gadgetman »

Hi everybody.

As the title suggests, It looks like the time has come to find a vehicle that will suite my needs and give me a different ride. After a while looking for different makes / models to change to and eventually setting my sights on a Maserati grand coupe or grand cab as the car to migrate to. Ints now time to make grown up decisions.

The Maserati makes a fantastic noise, but as i already have a Z4 35i it didn't make sense to have two sports cars in the family as i don't want to part company with it.

Looking around from a couple of years ago i did watch a review on Youtube on a Macan S diesel and the reviewer raved on about its ride quality performance and road holding. Since then, i think i have now watched most of the reviews out there.

to this end, this week i took the wife to the nearest porch centre and had a proper one to one with a car in the showroom. This then led to specking what i/we might fancy with the only stumbling point being the colour. I really like the Sapphire Blue, She prefers a duller colour!

Unlike BMW the specs are very difficult to wrestle with. There are so many combinations that add considerable debate regarding desirability / need and ultimately cost.

Spec No1 selected and full day road test booked for next week in a carmine red GTS.

I'm very interested to see what this thing goes like, or should it be a petrol S, or should it be a Diesel S.

I turn 60 next year and want a prestige vehicle for the next few years that i will not tire of. I've had my latest car 5 Series GT 35dM sport for 3 years and i love the big torque factor, but I'm tired of how huge the bloody thing is.

I wonder what the final spec and car will be?

Dario

Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome, if you think the 5 series is big, you’ll be dissapointed as in ownership the Macan feels as big to drive (Mrs P had an X5 for a while and it seemed easier to drive around country lanes / town than the Macan.
I’ve had an SD and currently a GTS. I prefer the GTS (for the “ fun” factor) but if I was still working and commuting 12-15 K miles per annum, the SD would be no hardship.
I guess it depends what you are looking for in the car as to whether petrol or diesel is the best choice.
(PS - no use asking me if Sapphire is the right colour choice!😉)
Last edited by Paul on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, Dario! :)

A Carmine Red GTS sounds perfect = job done! ;)

Enjoy the test drive!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Z4gadgetman

Post by Z4gadgetman »

Paul wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:38 pm Welcome, if you think the 5 series is big, you’ll be dissapointed as in ownership the Macan feels as big to drive (Mrs P had an X5 for a while and it seemed easier to drive around country lanes / town than the Macan.
I’ve had an SD and currently a GTS. I prefer the GTS (for the “ fun” factor) but if I was still working and commuting 12-15 K miles per annum, the SD would be no hardship.
I guess it depends what you are looking for in the car as to whether petrol or diesel is the best choice.
(PS - no use asking me if Sapphire is the right colour choice!😉)
Cheers Paul for the answer, but this is the 5 series GT which is based on a 7 series floor pan. So 5M long and 1.9M wide is big in my book lol. its wheel base is 3.0M and is a right toss pot to park in any parking bay.

A sapphire blue supporter then! :D
Z4gadgetman

Post by Z4gadgetman »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 pm Welcome, Dario! :)

Enjoy the test drive!
I'm going to give it a good go with a tank full of fuel :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Z4gadgetman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:25 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 pm Welcome, Dario! :)

Enjoy the test drive!
I'm going to give it a good go with a tank full of fuel :D

👍 😎 🏁
Simon

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Z4gadgetman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:24 pm ...but this is the 5 series GT which is based on a 7 series floor pan. So 5M long and 1.9M wide is big in my book lol. its wheel base is 3.0M and is a right toss pot to park in any parking bay.
Very similar dimensions to my Panamera 4. I've had it for just over 7 months, done over 10k miles in it and seem to have got used to its size surprisingly quickly. :)
Simon

gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

I have a feeling you will be blown away by the GTS. My wife loves the Carmine red so don’t be surprised if your wife does also
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Many of us have moved on from BMW to Porsche via Audi in my case.

I really tired of the BMWs as the interiors are all the same with exactly the same buttons in the same places. Hence a new car really didn’t feel new inside. Moving to a new brand is a breath of fresh air.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

And as above, test a GTS , job done, place order.

The option list isn’t that confusing especially if you go GTS as it includes a lot of the attractive stuff that is needed. Depends on your budget but just add full leather interior or GTS interior if you can justify the cost which I couldn’t. Heated seats, 21” wheels, pano roof, interior light pack, LED headlight upgrade all come to mind as option boxes to tick.

And Sapphire Blue of course!!!