New GTS...or 2nd had Turbo

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
bompey

Post by bompey »

I did 18k miles in my Turbo before moving to a GTS in which I've done nearly 9k miles. I prefer the GTS out of the 2 as it has more toys as standard and is more involving to drive. When I had the turbo I never had to press the accelerator and tended to drive with a foot over the brake, but there's no need to do this in the GTS. The GTS also sounds better, but I think the Turbo was more economical.
As others have said the GTS would probably be more in demand second hand as they are definitely more sporty, and if someone wants a turbo they would be looking for the PP.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S

martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

I reckon that yellow turbo is about third or fourth owner having started life as a demonstrator. Second owner was someone on here who sold it back to Silverstone (which is when I drove it about March time) they sold it shortly after and now it's back in stock again. Assuming there is only one yellow turbo around these parts.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Thank... Im driving both tomorrow ( Tuesday) I think I will take the turbo out first I didn’t relise the GTS was the more involving drive, I thought it would be the turbo... as for the colour I’m not sold, and agree might be difficult to sell. Thanks for your thoughts.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Opinions round here are plentiful, but mine is that the standard turbo could use more urge but doesn't lack in real world grip and handling (PASM on 20"). Personally I wouldn't want anything less powerful. I do however have a track-focussed M3 and the Boxster S to hoon around in if the fancy takes me.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I think that Turbo wins in the engine department, it's a lovely piece. :)

Don't all GTS's have a performance exhaust fitted as a standard, hence it sounds better than a Turbo with a standard exhaust?

Enjoy your test drives tomorrow, OP! :-)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:47 pm Thank... Im driving both tomorrow ( Tuesday) I think I will take the turbo out first I didn’t relise the GTS was the more involving drive, I thought it would be the turbo... as for the colour I’m not sold, and agree might be difficult to sell. Thanks for your thoughts.
The GTS only sounds better because it has PSE as standard.

I have driven different Porsche cars with PSE and once the initial acceleration is over it nice to switch them off as the drone is very intrusive, unbearably so at Mway cruising speeds.

PSE is a £1700 extra on Macan without it.

As I have said before the Turbo engine is a dream, it is very responsive.

If you are heavy footed beware of the Turbo, and certainly forget all about the Turbo PP.

Yes the GTS has great handling and will be more engaging that is what all Porsche GTS cars are about.

Your test drives will be about how you prefer to drive, in a straight line Turbo will win hands down, in the bends the turbo will be excellent but the GTS will be better but it will achieve slightly higher corner speeds, so do take care when pushing. Both variants will be a joy to drive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Thanks I had thought of the PSE, and the noise, it’s not really my thing, however I heard a GTS start inside the showroom.. and was impressed! I prefer a quiet cruise... I remember I drove a Rs TT for a few hours.. and could not wait to get out.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:17 pm Thanks I had thought of the PSE, and the noise, it’s not really my thing, however I heard a GTS start inside the showroom.. and was impressed! I prefer a quiet cruise... I remember I drove a Rs TT for a few hours.. and could not wait to get out.
I believe all six cyl petrol macans sound similar on start up, PSE or not. PSE only makes a difference on the move. We have it on ours and it is fun when pressing on in Sport or Sport+, but not sure it is £1,700 worth of fun. I could happily live without. PSE and Sport Chrono are the two options I debated longest and are the first two I would delete to get the cost down if I was doing it again. The third would be LED lights which are bright but not as good in their "adaptiveness" as the ones on my old BMW.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

bompey wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:02 pm I did 18k miles in my Turbo before moving to a GTS in which I've done nearly 9k miles. I prefer the GTS out of the 2 as it has more toys as standard and is more involving to drive. When I had the turbo I never had to press the accelerator and tended to drive with a foot over the brake, but there's no need to do this in the GTS. The GTS also sounds better, but I think the Turbo was more economical.
As others have said the GTS would probably be more in demand second hand as they are definitely more sporty, and if someone wants a turbo they would be looking for the PP.
bompey - long time. Did you go for the 718 Cayman GTS in the end? I cancelled my order after seeing the price and the goodies offered as standard. The S seems good value by comparison.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Mike and his Macan

Get out of my thread :lol: :lol: :lol: