Newbie intro

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I have a diesel which I think is a brilliant machine - fast enough and 40 mpg - what's not to like. No regrets getting one.

Recently however, as I'm sure you are aware, diesel has become the "bad guy" and is getting banned in cities etc.. The DPF filters can also be a problem depending on your driving style. Not recommended for low mileage / lots of short journeys.

VanB

Post by VanB »

The potential for losing money on a massively specced SD is huge so you may want to factor that in to your thinking. Regardless of which model you choose work on the basis that every option will be worthless come resale!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

ScotMac wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:49 pm I have a diesel which I think is a brilliant machine - fast enough and 40 mpg - what's not to like.
I love mine but never get 40 mpg. At legit motorway speeds it’s about 35. So either your cruising slower or longer or something else is going on.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
andreas

Post by andreas »

VanB wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:02 pm The potential for losing money on a massively specced SD is huge so you may want to factor that in to your thinking. Regardless of which model you choose work on the basis that every option will be worthless come resale!
I'd think "certainty" rather than "potential"! Loading a diesel to that extent will end in tears, unless you have money to burn, in which case buying a few litres of petrol shouldn't be a problem.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Nice looking car and spec. There are reams of pages on Adaptive cruise control. It's a marmite option. I am in the loathe camp, having owned a Diesel S with it specced before the current one with it left off. The Diesel is economical on long distances and a good choice As per above 38 - 40 mpg doable. On more spirited runs, expect to be closer to the 30 - 32 mpg. No-one is going to frown on a Diesel Porsche. Envious maybe. I would personally want to drive a car with as many of the driver options as possible and certainly see a car in the flesh especially for something as in your face as the colour.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Col M

Post by Col M »

andreas wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:19 am
VanB wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:02 pm The potential for losing money on a massively specced SD is huge so you may want to factor that in to your thinking. Regardless of which model you choose work on the basis that every option will be worthless come resale!
I'd think "certainty" rather than "potential"! Loading a diesel to that extent will end in tears, unless you have money to burn, in which case buying a few litres of petrol shouldn't be a problem.
My SD is a clear example: purchased with 12,550 miles on the clock for £48K at 18months old... putting the spec into the configurator came up with a original base cost of £48K + £16K options.

Do not select options with an eye on future resale. I think some options may make resale faster but not for higher amounts.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Tom 2000 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:46 pm
ScotMac wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:49 pm I have a diesel which I think is a brilliant machine - fast enough and 40 mpg - what's not to like.
I love mine but never get 40 mpg. At legit motorway speeds it’s about 35. So either your cruising slower or longer or something else is going on.
I don't do many motorway miles so can't quote normal motorway mpg but on my normal runs with a few overtakes I can still get roughly 40 mpg. On my run to work on "A" roads 30 mph to 60 mph I easily get 43 mpg.

I normally use Shell V Power which I think helps. Using "glide mode" also helps a lot. (not that I am really too bothered about mpg)
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

As far as options are concerned I think you should only spec what YOU want and will use.

You will get lots of advise on "must have" options which will add thousands to your price. Why pay for options for the next owner.
VanB

Post by VanB »

ScotMac wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:04 pm As far as options are concerned I think you should only spec what YOU want and will use.

You will get lots of advise on "must have" options which will add thousands to your price. Why pay for options for the next owner.
Sound advice from a wise man!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
steve w

Post by steve w »

Our first Macan a SD was brilliant quick and with good fuel consumption,£61k new and lost 12.5% on sale after 12 months around 7.5k,wouldn’t get that now as the SD seem to be getting some flack and can’t see this improving with the Diesel situation as it is,running a GTS Macan now it’s in another league to the SD in every way including fuel consumption but who buys a Porsche the fuel consumption ,better future residuals will make up for the increase in fuel costs,IMO optional extras are a personal choice and whilst some will not hold any value come sale times others will hold some value just choose them carefully,
If 2 Same reg date Macan were PX on the same date one with no extras and the other with £15k options some forum members are saying they’d fetch the same offer from the OPC as options are worthless personally think that incorrect , you only have to see what OPC are asking for used Macans and it all depends on spec.
SteveW