Nearly bought a Macan

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
nigelj

Post by nigelj »

Hi all,

Just joined as I've almost decided to go ahead and buy a Macan (used S diesel).

Can I ask a couple of questions?...
  • Which tyres suit our crap UK weather best!?
  • Roughly how many miles do people get on their tyres
  • I've read various posts/articles that reckon high 30s mpg is a reasonable expectation for 'normal' driving - is it?
Cheers

andreas

Post by andreas »

Welcome to the forum! However, if you're worried about the cost of tyres, maybe the Macan isn't for you. It's not a cheap car to run when you factor in depreciation, insurance, servicing and tyres.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
nigelj

Post by nigelj »

Hi,

I didn't say I was worried about cost, I'm asking which people think best for UK weather and rough mileage so I can be prepared!

I do 30k+ miles a year so already spend loads on tyres and servicing - I know the Macan will be more expensive on tyres, but actually a bit cheaper servicing than the V40 I'm driving now.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Tyre life depends entirely on your driving style.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Can't really comment on tyre wear as I have only done 4K miles but I would think its about 15k miles per tyre.

What's the spec of the car you are considering.
Col M

Post by Col M »

Hi Nigel, wheel size will have some effect on these matters.

Anyhow, I'm running 20" Spyders so my info is:
Michelin Lattitude Tour HP which where the fitted "All Season" option from Porsche (though Michelin call them a summer tyre). These have proved satisfactory on motorway and the snowy streets of Sheffield.

I'm on 17K miles and have rear 5mm depth front 6mm.

Currently achieving 36mpg
Last edited by Col M on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Also bear in mind that there have been DPF problems, mainly for those doing short trips and low mileage.

Re tyres, they should be 'N' Porsche approved. Buying used you should check that the correct tyres are fitted and have at least 4mm tread remaining. A tyre search by vehicle registration on the main tyre manufacturers' websites will show the recommended tyres for summer, winter and all season use. Most people stick with 'summer' tyres all year round and they are fine for normal use. If you're in the frozen north you might want to consider fitting winters, but that comes at some cost.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
nigelj

Post by nigelj »

Last edited by nigelj on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

My SD only managed 33mpg over the period I owned it.

The mpg you see in the MFD are optimistic and can be over 10% higher than actual in their display.

Do read all the posts you can find on DPF issues, and then when you have read them all changing your plan and buying a petrol S or GTS would be by far better
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

The Macan is surprisingly gentle on tyres compared to other SUVs. I’ve just sold my 14 month old GTS with all season tyres and 12k miles on the clock and tread depth was 6.5 mm all round which would suggest they are good for 25-30,000 miles
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate