Nearly bought a Macan

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
stick

Post by stick »

21k miles so far, no DPF issues, and diesel right for our use. 18" with Continental winter and 19" with Michelin Latitude. 7mm left on winters and 5 on summers, Expect it will mean tyres lasting maybe 20k which I think is good. mpg 34, but SWMBO has heavy right foot and its her drive...

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

nigelj wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:52 pm Hi all,

Just joined as I've almost decided to go ahead and buy a Macan (used S diesel).

Can I ask a couple of questions?...
  • Which tyres suit our crap UK weather best!?
  • Roughly how many miles do people get on their tyres
  • I've read various posts/articles that reckon high 30s mpg is a reasonable expectation for 'normal' driving - is it?
Cheers
You'll love the Macan! Try to find the right one for you, lots of SDs to choose from and the option choices are enormous, Autocar are showng 78 SDs for sale.
Are you buying from a Porsche dealer?
If so whatever tyres are fitted will be NO (Porsche rated with plenty of life).
All season tyres the most suitable all-rounder and used to be a standard option, or change tyres between summers and winters with the seasons, a bit of a faff. Mileage seems to be 25k plus from what I read. The way I drove, I'd be happy with 20k and change at 3mm.
High 30's mpg sometimes on my previous SD. I averaged 34 but the hooligan mode off button didn't always work!
Keep us updated.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I’ve been a SD owner since Oct ‘16. Only done 7k Miles (4.5k on two holidays) with mostly shortish journeys in London with no DPF issues. I’ve had two new tyres in that time, one from an unrepairable puncture and one from hitting a kerb and damaging the sidewall of the tyre. First one done by OPC price matched to National Tyres at approx. £250. Second fitted by National Tyres for about same price. Good service by both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
nigelj

Post by nigelj »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:14 pm ...
Do read all the posts you can find on DPF issues, and then when you have read them all changing your plan and buying a petrol S or GTS would be by far better
Thanks for the pointer. Having read the very long (and tediously repetitive) thread MACAN DPF PROBLEMS I'll be talking to Porsche Silverstone tomorrow to ask some questions.

Talk of diesels having to be driven in a certain way is just nonsense. Normal cars are designed to be driven by normal people in a varierty of normal ways, including going to the shops!!! If it was a real thing surely car manufacturers would have been forced to clearly state this, and dealers also would have been forced to tell potential diesel buyers of the issue they may face if they drive in a certain way.

However, as I do 30k+ miles and lots on motorway (but also a lot in slow M25 traffic!), the issue may not arise...of course there's no way to know if it will, or if the used car I might buy has had the issue before.

it's a bit of a shame - I haven't chosen a used Macan yet (although I have 1 in mind), and this may make me stay away from Porsche altogether. A petrol Macan will cost me too much more than diesel to run.
nigelj

Post by nigelj »

andreas wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:07 pm Tyre life depends entirely on your driving style.
I'd never have guessed! ;)
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

You hear of DPF issues with other brands too though. It’s a bit of a lottery really. I ran a BMW 530d for 2.5 years prior to the Macan and Just used it to fit our lifestyle eg short trips in London combined with longer trips out of town. Again, no problems.

Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
FranCK

Post by FranCK »

Porsche are aware of the DPF issue. I raised the issue prior to collection with centre Principal who under played the concern. Having taken delivery and had problems i have forced them to admit the filter problems. A fix is due (no timescale given) fix just released on Cayenne 3L but too early to reveal results. Easy to dismiss this discussion as nonsense if you do high mileage. Agree totally that cars should suit every purpose, and correct car should be offered at POS but this won’t happen when sales targets are involved i feel.
Current: Volcano Grey SD 2017, Mercedes E250 AMG conv. Audi Q5 2.0 S line + Audi Q5 2.0. Audi A3 S Line. Nissan Navara 2.5. And many VW Golf 😀
nigelj

Post by nigelj »

MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:11 pm Can't really comment on tyre wear as I have only done 4K miles but I would think its about 15k miles per tyre.

What's the spec of the car you are considering.
I've only recently started looking seriously...will buy from a dealer (I know costs more, but it's a piece of mind thing, especially when spending so much money!). Spent a few hours at the dealer yesterday, had a test drive!

My current car (Volvo v40 D4 R Design) has every possible knob and function available except sports chassis...it was an ex-demo or management car I got through my ex-gf on the Volvo friends and family scheme (covers used as well as new cars) - saved about £3k on the used price! As I've been spoiled with all the extras, I'll want similar on a Macan. I'm looking at a couple of cars that have 21" wheels, air suspension and PASM, xenon lights with PDLS, Bose sound, mobile phone prep, reversing camera and park assist, PCM, heated seats and wheel, lane departure system, power steering plus, sports chrono, autodimming mirrors, plus loads of sports design bits. Haven't seen the car in the flesh yet as it's 200 miles away...in another dealer in the group so they can get it brought down.

I need to discuss the DPF thing with them, and make a decision to go ahead or not - as I said in another post I do 30k+ miles a year so it may well not be an issue for me at all...never has been on any previous diesel car I've owned...but I don't want to spend £40+ then find I have the issue!!
FranCK

Post by FranCK »

Doubt they will be upfront with you, i’m afraid. Since i now take mine every two weeks on a good long trip it hasn’t occurred in the last 3000 miles. Superb drive despite the issues!
Current: Volcano Grey SD 2017, Mercedes E250 AMG conv. Audi Q5 2.0 S line + Audi Q5 2.0. Audi A3 S Line. Nissan Navara 2.5. And many VW Golf 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The DPF issues makes no sense, owners here who have had the problem cannot be tied into a specic usage category although the putting around short local journeys do seem at most risk.

Even at the mileage you do an oil burner makes sense otherwise you will be spending £3k more on fuel if you drove a petrol model.

When you do have a test drive do make a note of all the extras fitted as it will help when configuring.

You will also find in comfort mode the SD takes time to change gear and for the engine to response, it is almost like a 1/2 second of turbo lag (which it is not). Switch it into Sport mode and the SG goes like the preverbial off a shovel up to above the national speed limit where it plateaus badly.

The SD engine in my view is 60-70 bhp down on what it should have, after all its the same Audi engine that was used in the old SQ5 where it produced 330 bhp.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags