GLC ..43 coupe .

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I picked up a Glc 43 yesterday for a weekend test. My experience so far

I have never experienced so much Ackerman’s in my life... if I hadn’t of known of this subject I would have taken the car back ... as I would have thought that there is something dramatically wrong/ dangerous and taken the car back.

It is noisy.

It floats around, either in sports or comfort.

Sports mode is hard and crashed in road imperfections.

Comfort mode is the same, but floaty instead.

The interior look great... until touch everything and relise it’s just hard plastics buttons etc.

It rattled.

Foot to the floor from a standill is impressive... until you turn the steering wheel and relise the front wheels feel like they are not touching the ground.

Rear view mirror has a big black box next to it ... that is in your eye line .

Gear box slow to react / or confused!

Overall a very bad experience... I cannot believe they let this suv off the production line. A very handsome coupe in blue is the only positive I can say about it. Oh .. great led headlights, I will order them on the Macan , so something learned.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Interesting summary but apologies, I do not know what Ackerman’s means ?
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Hope I can explain this ... I’m sure there will be a better description of it on this , when turning right or left from a standstill on a let’s say a 180 steering lock, accelerate forward and the front wheels don’t turn they skid sideways , the outcome is a banging noise and the feeling the front wheels are tucking in on them selfs. Because they are skidding across the surface.., drive one and you will experience it.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I get that all the time in my Boxster in cold weather. It's all to do with the front end geometry and tyre composition.
Paul

Post by Paul »

“ Reverse Ackerman” here.....(and elsewhere no doubt...)

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5190&hilit=Ackerman&start=20
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm Hope I can explain this ... I’m sure there will be a better description of it on this , when turning right or left from a standstill on a let’s say a 180 steering lock, accelerate forward and the front wheels don’t turn they skid sideways , the outcome is a banging noise and the feeling the front wheels are tucking in on them selfs. Because they are skidding across the surface.., drive one and you will experience it.
Your explanation is good.
The GLC amongst other Mercedes models suffer from what is known as crabbing.
It’s so bad I cannot believe people don’t notice on test drives. A friend of mine was told that Mercedes solution was winter tyres which really doesn’t solve the problem in any way.
Loads and loads of complaints about it.

Look at the you tube videos 🙄

As always with these issues it’s how the dealer and manufacturer deal with them.
So far it’s been afwful from Mercedes.
What a shame.
GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Obviously you have ignored my many posts over the last couple of years deriding the Mercedes Taxi Companies products as being rubbish.

Seriously, sorry to hear that you are dissapointed, buying a new motor should be an exciting time.

Good luck with the order for a Macan Turbo PP.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Thanks for the explanation, I understand that

Is it because the weather is so cold and the performance tyres are brittle in these conditions. Or at least it amplifies the problem.
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes, mine is definitely “ worse” in the cold weather. I heard a proper “bang” the other day reversing out of a parking slot with a good bit of lock on - it sounded as if I’d run over a rock!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

My GTI makes a strange sound/feeling when I back off my drive and turn over the lowered curb before I drive off up the road. Definitely more pronounced in these cold conditions. I have Pirelli PZeros on it that are definitely not as good in the cold

Other than in the cold, the Pirelli’s are excellent and have them on the Macan and GTi
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S