Wife owns a boxster S and its fun, I've finally gone and splashed out on a Macan S

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
dangerousbeans

Post by dangerousbeans »

Yeap, wanted to upgrade the family car, as every holiday we have no space left trying to hide all the booze coming back from France (don't laugh - I drive a 2010 Toyota Auris) (we are in Jersey - UK) and after years of the occasional blast in my wife's Boxster S (when she lets me!), I wanted something woohoo. You know, a bit sexy with a bit of "poke" with family in tow.

Have the cash now I'm a bit older in life, so dragged myself to the dealer here who does the melange of Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Porsche. Audi's meh doesn't do it for me. Mercedes - have to admit, the more expensive ones, nice and tempting but not for me, BMW, na, not for me and then they had their Porsche showroom. (jaw dropping)

Their demo Macan was a blue diesel but it had the cream interior and I don't think I've ever been so "wow" before.

Somehow walked out, but before I did, I ordered an petrol S with sports exhaust and extra options (too many) in Black with the expensive sound system (I'm a musician - my excuse) and even the DVD players for the kids. Got an S as the salesman said "you don't need a Turbo with kids, S is plenty enough". lol

Ordered in November, being built in March, ready in April.

Got an invite to the Porsche experience @Silverstone but because of work I cant go (I travel abroad on short notice) - however my petrol head wife is going in my place sometime in April/June.

So I'm almost a new Macan owner, looking fwd to it. Here's me (Mr A to B) - I was considering getting an F-Pace and I went for a test drive but its a bit meh, sat in the Macan a few weeks later, no comparison.

Go on, enlighten me on my choice or not, should I of gone for the Turbo? :) Considering my wife drives like an absolute loony in her Boxster S to and from work and criticises me if I go 5 miles an hour over the speed limit when the kids are in the Auris.I think a Macan S is about level lol.

Went for a Macan as it will suit us better size wise (and I'm pretty sure if I got Cayenne she would disintegrate a wing mirror in the first month as its so big and the roads here are quite small)

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Does Jersey still have the island wide 40 mph speed limit?

From my holiday there I seem to remember not many straights so a well specified S will do you fine.

Just as long as you did include PASM, Sports Chrono, 21” wheels, PS+ for great handling and max fun and if you wanted to take handling to the limit then added PTV would have been of benefit

Had you come here earlier we probably would have said just dump the S and get a GTS which is way better in the handling department to start off with.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

image.png

Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Hi and welcome.

We holiday every year in Jersey so I know the place well and love it. Have had a walk around the dealership you mention and there are a lot of nice cars in that place. Bentley showroom pretty smart too.

Island speed limit makes a Turbo pretty pointless although there are some decent roads in places. Personally I don't see a petrol S making a lot of sense as a few options gets you to GTS territory and the residual is better given so many options are standard. Interesting the salesman doesn't even seem to have mentioned the GTS as perhaps you had allocation for a petrol S.

Anyway it will be a great car. Maybe see it about come July although there are already a good few Macans in Jersey. It was actually in Jersey that I saw my first Macan in the year they were launched and thought that looks pretty tasty.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Also should have said, upgrading from an Auris to a Macan is a decent upgrade lol.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

With Jersey's narrow roads and lanes, I suggest that only go for the 21" alloys if you (and your wife) are really wheel aware. They are easily kerbed with their low profile tyres and projecting rim edges. The Macan is a lot wider than an Auris!

If you will be doing most of your Macan driving in Jersey and little on the mainland, then the S will be all the performance that you need.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I think that the order is probably locked down already, as being built in March. :geek:

Welcome, dangerousbeans! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Andy_rs600

Post by Andy_rs600 »

Having spent quite a bit of time in Jersey I'd also steel clear of 21" wheels! Interestingly I totally agree with you re: the comparison with the F-PACE. Lots of online articles suggesting they drive similarly but that wasn't my experience at all.
2018 SD, Saphire, Air, PTV, LED PDSL+,
East Midlands Immediate Care Scheme http://emics.org.uk/
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I'm kind of hoping that dangerousbeans hasn't ordered 21" wheels on his (almost certainly locked down) Macan S in light of the advice he's getting on here! :P
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I’m betting he has ordered the 21s :D

Good choice just a little more care needed with Jerseys right roads and the silly tight carparks.