Just ordered an S

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Macman

Post by Macman »

Hi I’ve just traded in the Cayman and ordered a Macan S in Sapphire Blue, build date end of this month. Don’t care if there’s a face lift coming, I’m not too interested in the rumoured updates and I can’t wait until late this year for one anyway :D
I’m hoping to do a factory collection if we can find a date to fit in with the travel company :roll: It’ll be from Leipzig, has anyone done it? Was it worth it? Any tips about a good route home via a few nice roads?
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Welcome Macman. I can’t comment on factory collection but I have been to the Porsche Leipzig facility. Well worth spending some time there.

Depending on the weekday, there is plenty to do around Leipzig. Most shops, restaurants and museums are closed on a Monday. Drive to Zwickau for the auto museum. It’s a reasonably nice area, with great roads. If you like car exhibitions and museums, there is loads to do and see on your way back. Autostad in Augsburg (VW) is ok. It’s massive and focussed on all things VAG Group.

Head further south west towards Frankfurt for the Auto &Technik Museum in Sinnsheim. Most things mechanised, including concord and Concordsky. Opel has a museum nearby too. If you head towards Düsseldorf, Classic Remise is worth a stop.

When driving back I tend to avoid Brussels. I prefer going further south in Germany and head into France via the Ardennes. Great driving roads there.

Whatever you decide, you’ll love your new car for sure.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome and congrats on your choice.

If you search for Factory Visits here you will see that some members have been there.

Depending upon how you are going to get back to the UK you have quite a few great driving route options available to get you to the Port or Tunnel.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Macman

Post by Macman »

Thanks for the tips, I’ll see how much of that we can squeeze in. I look forward to learning from you all about Macan ownership. I see that some of you eventually move on to 911s after Macans, for me it’s the opposite. I’ve had 924S, 944S2, 996.2, Cayman and now Macan, my first brand new Porsche. A combination of age, size of children, empty nest and now prospect of grandchildren has dictated which Porsche I’ve had. Also creaking knees will get in and out of a Macan easier than a Cayman 😉
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Guy

Post by Guy »

If your happy heading a bit further South and want to go to the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart, then you could always follow some or all of the 'Castle Route'. When I lived in Bavaria, I did a bit of it from East to West, as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3070&hilit=castle+route

On the way back, the little town of Cochem is worth a visit - on the Moselle. I stayed here: http://www.villa-vinum-cochem.de/ and recommend it highly.

Also, when booking the Eurotunnel, be sure to book for a 'high' vehicle (at no extra cost) because then you get to travel in one of the wider carriages and there's much less chance of damaging the alloys on your pride and joy!
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Macman wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 am Thanks for the tips, I’ll see how much of that we can squeeze in. I look forward to learning from you all about Macan ownership. I see that some of you eventually move on to 911s after Macans, for me it’s the opposite. I’ve had 924S, 944S2, 996.2, Cayman and now Macan, my first brand new Porsche. A combination of age, size of children, empty nest and now prospect of grandchildren has dictated which Porsche I’ve had. Also creaking knees will get in and out of a Macan easier than a Cayman 😉
Welcome Macman, your not alone there are actually quite a number on here that have moved the same way as yourself
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6