Looking for advice about buying used Macan

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Serghei

Post by Serghei »

Hi everybody. I don’t have Macan yet, but always dreamed to buy one and hopefully will do soon. I have so many questions to ask, hope I can phrase them correctly and sorry if most of them was discussed on forums and sound naive, but for me this purchase is big decision.

I did some reading and came to conclusion that for my budget ideal will be to buy 3 y.o. car about 30-50k miles and buy warranty as separate.
Ideally for me specs wise: air suspension , heated front wheel and front seats and sport look exterior.
Again I may be naive and wrong but my hope/plan
- budget about 35-40k£
- Second hand Macan
- Reason for 2-3 yo used car, that depreciation cost will make my dream car more affordable with descent specs
- And also I need to know/plan how expensive to run Macan a year - I mean service plan/ oils etc, MOT, TAX, also if best option to get separate breakdown warranty if any available.
- And to be able to sell it in 3-5 years ( I usually do 10k miles a year) and approximately plan how much I will loose in depreciation etc

My questions:
1. I know that it is lottery and asking about potential breaking cost hard but if somebody can advice. Am I right understanding that by about 40-50k miles if any factory faults that they would be evident and fixed. How reliable Macan from 40k-100k miles and if any common pitfalls to expect during that time.
2. What is annual service cost to run Macan
3. Are there any repare etc insurance companies available and is it worth buying it as worry to get bill 2-15k£ for Repare cost
4. Any opinion/ suggestions valuable, as owners of Macan what do you think I am too naive?

jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

1. Mine has done 39k miles and is perfect, I'm not aware of any know issues other than niggles, and I've not heard any horror stories of cars suffering from high mileages - they tend to run well as owners look after them.

2. A service for my SD is around £550, but only every 20k or 2 years, so as cheap as some Fords! My fuel consumption was 43mpg, but has risen a bit as I've retired, now probably more like 38mpg on mixed runs.

3. Mine is 2.5 years old and has not missed a beat, I will not be replacing my warranty when it runs out in 6 months - why pay up front, they offer warranties to make money, not save you it.

4. Your kind of on the right track - but think of the model you want and why - 2L/S/GTS/Turbo/SD etc. Try different spec, I have 19" wheels and PASM and the ride is excellent - I would not spec air suspension if I were replacing mine with another.

Visit a couple of dealers and have a go in a couple, not just the one you think you want. I initially tried a petrol S and was not too keen as it seemed too sporty to an extent - like having a puppy on a lead, it was tiring, and the fuel consumption around 25mpg! I found the SD with it's high torque an easier car to live with - because most of the time you can't use the extra performance anyway, and the SD is not slow to begin with.

James
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

^ Solid advice.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
N13LXC

Post by N13LXC »

jesim1 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:38 am
3. Mine is 2.5 years old and has not missed a beat, I will not be replacing my warranty when it runs out in 6 months - why pay up front, they offer warranties to make money, not save you it.
Exactly. you might be unlucky, but a properly maintained car (including inspection of non serviced components) should minimise the risk of bill shock in this case...
Current: 991.2 GTS, Gtd
Previous: Macan TPP, C350e, B8 RS4 Nogaro, Tiguan, S3, A1, B8 RS4, A5 cab, Golf GTTDI x2, RS Clio 197, TT Cab 1.8T, RS Clio 182, Megane 1.5 dci, Clio 1.5 dci, Astra Merit 1.6 d
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

There are a lot out there in your price bracket, mostly diesel 2014 and some 2015. Very little with OPC's, so if you wanted the full Porsche warranty extension you would have to factor in the extra costs including their inspection charge. I would look for a one owner car but as long as it has a complete maintenance record it's a limited risk, suggest you try a number before you commit. To see examples of service and extended warranty costs take a look at the Porsche site.

Good luck
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Serghei

Post by Serghei »

Thank you very much everybody for advice, especially jesim1.
I am looking (online so far) diesel S, mostly 2014 looks like best option for me so far. But still plenty of question, would like to do my home work before visiting dealer.
-Thank for advice re service, but is there any other potential cost. For example I own VW scirocco and was fairly cheap to service but this year when hit 40000 miles was told need camp belt change with water pump 380£, DSG oil change 180 £ and air con service 75£ on the top of regular oils filters etc services. Can somebody advice if anything like this expect me if I buy car 40k miles plus or if I need to make sure it was done on certain mileage done.
-What is annual road Tax in UK for Macan S diesel?
- I am checking daily current deals on Porsche website for used cars and noticed so much variations
- Jesim1 mentioned about PASM and no need air suspension, but not all Macans on offer now come with PASM or air suspension , how smooth drive on normal / stock Macan suspension. Of course I will use it mostly for every day urban drive and may be occasionally a bit sport like drive but comfort drive for everyday life is important for me as my scirocco so hard lol. I will make my decision when visit dealer and do test drive ideal on PASM / Air and stock suspension but wanted to know what is ppls experience and view
- also bixenon lights - not all cars which are on offer now come with this option, so how much estetic/practical difference this makes?
- another question stock seats and 14 or 18 way seats any obvious difference in comfort and everyday drive?
- I am not very much interested in sun roof so not big deal for me
- last question so far stock music system and Boss sound system? If any obvious difference in experience.
Thank you very much for helping, initially when registered in forum did not expect that much help, but great community thank you. I know that I need to try myself and see myself for decision and I will do but wanted to know Macan owners opinion too.
I may be asking too many questions but just wanted to make sure I know and understand everything or most before committing myself lol
At the end of the day I really want my dream car Macan S diesel ideally with bixenon lights, PASM, 14 or 18 seats , Boss music systems and this is on my check list when comparing cars
-
Guy

Post by Guy »

I can answer the road tax one: £190 for an SD of that sort of age.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hello Serghei and welcome

How many miles p.a. will you be doing with your intended Macan SD and will it be short town trips or longer distances primarily? if you are doing less than 10,000 miles p.a. and mostly short trips then a petrol engine will be a better choice.

This is a Porsche, so you do need to budget more for service and insurance costs, compared to a VW.

The Macan SD has a 2 year / 20000 mile service interval, but you may need an oil change in the interim depending on usage. Ad Blue refills need to be added as indicated.

As with your Scirocco, at the 4 year old age of the cars you are interested in, then a cam belt change and water pump plus DSG oil change, brake fluid and air con service will be on the horizon. Also potentially brake pads and discs. So do check with the seller if they have already been done / when due. If you buy from an OPC you will get a 2 year warranty, but these items will not be covered.

Do check the tyre tread depths as these will be an additional cost to factor in and more expensive rubber than for the Scirocco.

The Macan has a much more comfortable ride than the Scirocco, even without Air or PASM. The smaller the wheels the better the ride comfort.

the seats are all good and comfortable, whether 8, 14 or 18-way. You need to ride and drive these different options to check what suits you best.

if you do a lot of out of town night driving then bi-xenons make a huge difference.

if you have a very sensitive music ear, then the BOSE may be best, but most agree that the standard sound system is a cut above most other makes.

Good luck with your search :?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Great advice from Sac1 👍

What I would say is the older 2014 / 2015 Macan standard Audio is not the same as the latter 2016 standard Audio. It had been upgraded later part of 2016 if memory serves me correctly.

Have a listen to the actual car you are purchasing as there are differences based on year model.
GTS 😀
FranCK

Post by FranCK »

Solid advice!

I would strongly agree that unless you doing 12k + miles pa (good Motorway runs) stick to Petrol.
Current: Volcano Grey SD 2017, Mercedes E250 AMG conv. Audi Q5 2.0 S line + Audi Q5 2.0. Audi A3 S Line. Nissan Navara 2.5. And many VW Golf 😀