Hello

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

Semerka wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:30 pm Sounds like you have your Macan secured. 8-)

Unless I am wrong, the hacking technique affects any remote keys, not just the keyless system. When you lock / unlock your car, the thief can steel the data and can then programme a new key. As soon as you press a button on a any keyfob it could be hacked as was demonstrated by the Watchdog programme and BMW's quite a few years ago. That was not a keyless system.

It's the key's signal amplifier technique that affects only the keyless entry. When you're out and about, you're not near your car with a key so it cannot be amplified. ;)
But if you're in a supermarket car park, or some other place you visit regularly. Someone could potentially amplify if they follow you or scan from outside the building. Maybe I'll buy one of these systems myself to test it :geek:

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

sukyb wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:57 pm But if you're in a supermarket car park, or some other place you visit regularly. Someone could potentially amplify if they follow you or scan from outside the building. Maybe I'll buy one of these systems myself to test it :geek:
But then you're in a supermarket, quite a distance from your car (the amplifier does have a distance limit) and someone would have to stand next to you, so you would notice. Plus there are hundreds of car keys in such a public place broadcasting different signals.

I don't think that would work, in my humble opinion.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

Semerka wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:24 pm
sukyb wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:57 pm But if you're in a supermarket car park, or some other place you visit regularly. Someone could potentially amplify if they follow you or scan from outside the building. Maybe I'll buy one of these systems myself to test it :geek:
But then you're in a supermarket, quite a distance from your car (the amplifier does have a distance limit) and someone would have to stand next to you, so you would notice. Plus there are hundreds of car keys in such a public place broadcasting different signals.

Thanks, I hope you're right :D
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

sukyb wrote:
Semerka wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Thanks, I hope you're right :D
My BMW before my Macan was broken into by someone either jamming the signal so it didn’t lock or somehow scanning and recording the signal. This was a normal remote key as opposed to full keyless entry. They took everything from the car, but thankfully didn’t take the car itself or cause any damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I think, but not definite, that each time the key fob button is pressed it transmits a new frequency that the car interrogates and accepts if genuine. This prevents someone recording any previous codes and attempting to use them again. This is for key entry, not keyless. Keyless signals from the key can be intercepted and transmitted or amplified to the car which accepts it and unlocks the doors and allows the car to be started while still within range of the transmitting key. Happy to be corrected if I’ve misrepresented the detail!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I'm not so sure about frequency changes (although possibly part of the picture) but I think there is a rolling 'key code' i.e. the code that unlocked it last time is not the one that unlocks it the next time. So key and car need to be in sync. I thought that the thieves actually jammed the lock signal, so it did not lock?

Likewise, I stand to be corrected on this. ;)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I remember when I signed the official secrets act, spread spectrum transmission and frequency hopping was top secret :?
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960