Hello

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Paul

Post by Paul »

Agree. I have used it twice on my GTS; once to check it was actually there (😳) and once to show off launch control!
I specced it more from my own perception of residual attractiveness.
As alex says, you can soon get the dealer to do the software upgrade if you really feel the need afterwards.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Welcome to the forum Sukyb and congratulations on the purchase, very nicely specced example! 😃

With regards to keyless entry, we have that feature on our Macan, which we bought as used approved last summer and do not really think about the potential pitfalls. The benefits outweigh the small risk. We do keep the keys in a closed metal box at home, which helps with key signal leakage.

We also have a bright security light in our drive, which is both practical when getting home in the dark and as a thief deterrent. ;)

Wishing you many happy miles! 🚘
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Semerka wrote:Welcome to the forum Sukyb and congratulations on the purchase, very nicely specced example! [emoji2]

With regards to keyless entry, we have that feature on our Macan, which we bought as used approved last summer and do not really think about the potential pitfalls. The benefits outweigh the small risk. We do keep the keys in a closed metal box at home, which helps with key signal leakage.

We also have a bright security light in our drive, which is both practical when getting home in the dark and as a thief deterrent. ;)

Wishing you many happy miles! [emoji593]
I have keyless entry in the car I’ve just bought - it just happened to be on the spec rather than something I would have ordered from new. It does seem to take a bit of getting used to. I keep unlocking the car and then going to open the boot and then finding I’ve locked the whole car again by mistake. Should probably read the manual! [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nice avatar, Hawkeye! 😎
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:34 pm
Semerka wrote:Welcome to the forum Sukyb and congratulations on the purchase, very nicely specced example! [emoji2]

Wishing you many happy miles! [emoji593]
I have keyless entry in the car I’ve just bought -I keep unlocking the car and then going to open the boot and then finding I’ve locked the whole car again by mistake! [emoji849]

Don’t be too concerned Hawkeye; its just confirming that it is, indeed, Italian😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:34 pm I have keyless entry in the car I’ve just bought - it just happened to be on the spec rather than something I would have ordered from new. It does seem to take a bit of getting used to. I keep unlocking the car and then going to open the boot and then finding I’ve locked the whole car again by mistake. Should probably read the manual! [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha, yes! Also, when washing the car with the key in my pocket, it keeps unlocking / locking as I go round with my lambswool mitt. :lol:

But on the whole, we like the feature. 8-)
Our stable:
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

More frustrating is when it folds the sides mirrors up as well, very difficult to clean at that angle!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:07 am More frustrating is when it folds the sides mirrors up as well, very difficult to clean at that angle!
Oh yes, haha! :lol:
I then just fold the mirrors out manually to clean them and then fold them back in.
Our stable:
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

Semerka wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:58 pm Welcome to the forum Sukyb and congratulations on the purchase, very nicely specced example! 😃

Wishing you many happy miles! 🚘
Thank you for your kind comments. I think I'm just a worrier :). We also have security lights, and I also keep the car blocked in with two other cars on the drive. Same with the keys in a metal box. Also removed the dummy key. When out an about keeping the real key in a faraday pouch.

The keyless entry was part of the spec when I bought it used, so wasn't something I was intending on getting, but most of the other options were on my list of must haves.

Would be ideal to not keep keys in a faraday pouch to take advantage of the keyless entry and drive, if we can get some kind of confirmation from Porsche that the signal can't be hacked and relayed. Hopefully using some strong encryption. I've only seen videos and reports of Audis, BMWs and Mercedes being stolen using amplifier and relay, not seen any Porsche.

But this statement on the options page doesn't seem to inspire confidence:

“The Porsche Entry & Drive System uses state of the art technology. However, it cannot be completely ruled out that the key´s wireless encryption code is intercepted and used to open or steal the vehicle”.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Sounds like you have your Macan secured. 8-)

Unless I am wrong, the hacking technique affects any remote keys, not just the keyless system. When you lock / unlock your car, the thief can steel the data and can then programme a new key. As soon as you press a button on a any keyfob it could be hacked as was demonstrated by the Watchdog programme and BMW's quite a few years ago. That was not a keyless system.

It's the key's signal amplifier technique that affects only the keyless entry. When you're out and about, you're not near your car with a key so it cannot be amplified. ;)
Our stable: