Hello

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

Hi,

Just joined the forums. Bought a Macan S Diesel, best choice I made after toying with the idea of a Merc GLC or Jag F-Pace. I purchased the 2016 model and have had it's first service with all software updates added.

The car came with keyless entry, and after looking at the Internet reports of keyless car thefts using amplifier and relay devices, this is a bit of a worry. I keep the key in a faraday pouch and metal box when at home. I've phoned the Porsche service centre this morning, and spoke to the service technician; he has said that there aren't any reports of keyless thefts with Porsche, as the encryption is strong. Is this correct? Also he said it's not possible to turn off keyless entry, I would disable if it means less worry of theft.

Any thoughts?

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

sukyb wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:55 am Hi,

Just joined the forums. Bought a Macan S Diesel, best choice I made after toying with the idea of a Merc GLC or Jag F-Pace. I purchased the 2016 model and have had it's first service with all software updates added.

The car came with keyless entry......
A warm welcome to our friendly forum.

I too looked at the GLC and F-Pace, but the Macan is just so much better IMO. :D

You've made a great choice with your SD. What optional extras does it have? Pictures of your car are always welcome here.

I've had my SD for just over 10 months now from new and it has been faultless and a real joy to drive. Just back from a 450 mile effortless trip to Cornwall. There and back on just one tank of fuel; not hanging about on the long schelps ethier!

Purposely did not specify keyless entry, so cannot comment, but do make sure your OPC has up-dated your sat-nav to the 2018 mapping version - see viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6970&p=145117#p145117
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
spook

Post by spook »

Hi Sukyb,

Welcome to our friendly forum.
I have shy'd away from keyless due to the reasons your mention (and that Porsche fit a dummy key in the ignition which makes it look as it you have left the key in DOH !) so I have not had to ask any security questions about it.
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
VanB

Post by VanB »

I had keyless entry on my Macan GTS and never had a problem. I guess a lot depends on where you live as to whether you are likely to have an issue. Porsche encryption is supposed to be very strong but that doesn't mean it can't be cloned.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:29 am
sukyb wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:55 am Hi,

The car came with keyless entry......
A warm welcome to our friendly forum.

I too looked at the GLC and F-Pace, but the Macan is just so much better IMO. :D

You've made a great choice with your SD. What optional extras does it have? Pictures of your car are always welcome here.

I've had my SD for just over 10 months now from new and it has been faultless and a real joy to drive. Just back from a 450 mile effortless trip to Cornwall. There and back on just one tank of fuel; not hanging about on the long schelps either! ;)

Purposely did not specify keyless entry, so cannot comment. Do make sure your OPC has up-dated your sat-nav to the 2018 mapping version - see viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6970&p=145117#p145117
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

VanB wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:06 pm I had keyless entry on my Macan GTS and never had a problem. I guess a lot depends on where you live as to whether you are likely to have an issue. Porsche encryption is supposed to be very strong but that doesn't mean it can't be cloned.
I would agree, probably depends on where you live. There was a big problem with Range Rovers in London.

Welcome. Enjoy your new Macan :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome to our friendly forum, sukyb. :)

Congrats on your Macan SD.

As mentioned, it's a custom on here to share spec & photos.

Also an idea of your approximate location & where you park your car (on road, on drive, in garage etc) may help others to comment.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Garty2010

Post by Garty2010 »

I had keyless entry on my last two Range Rovers which were regularly left in London, with no issue. However, there are some good threads on here explaining the possible problems, so didn't spec it on my Macan. I guess that there is an element of luck and there is some risk in everything, hence we have insurance. I recommend enjoying your Macan and not worrying about it, as it sounds as though you are already taking sensible precautions with your Faraday case.
Sapphire blue Macan GTS
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJZ7F2T6
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

Thanks for all the comments appreciated.
In response to the questions. I'm based in Warwickshire and the car is parked on the drive.

In terms of options:

I haven't got a Porsche code, but here is a list:

Volcano Grey Colour
Sports Design package with side skirts
20-inch RS Spyder alloys
Adaptive sports seats inc comfort memory 18-way
Panoramic rood
Bi-Xenon lighting system incl PDLS
Nav module for PCM
Entry and Drive
Side blades in exterior colour
Privacy glass
Heated front seats
Porsche crest embossed on head restraints (front and rear)
3-zone climate control
Automatically dimming exterior and interior mirrors (i.c w Comfort memory package)
Light comfort package icw comfort memory package
Heated steering wheel
Power steering plus
Monochrome black exterior (high gloss)
Wheel centres with full colour Porsche crest
75 litre fuel tank
Black leather package
Interior package black (high gloss)

Will attach pictures shortly.
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

Last edited by sukyb on Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.