Hello and advice please!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Paul

Post by Paul »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:13 am
The box bottom left on your code - the first suggestion says:

Other Macan S customers did choose the following options

Bi-Xenon lighting system incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
It probably also suggests elsewhere that you spec rear seat entertainment and a Harmon stereo; more up-sell marketing from Porsche!

To reassure, as others have, Halogen lights are perfectly acceptable provided you drive accordingly. If you do lots of night driving on unlit roads and you have poor night vision then you will just need to drive a little slower that if you had xenons.
Re-sale value is a crystal ball and you will never predict what the next purchaser wants (or indeed, what this forum may tell him he wants😉) and the fact that you have been restrained on the overall option spend should mean your % residual will be fine.
Enjoy!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

First new Porsche

Post by First new Porsche »

Cheers for all comments. Because it was a very tight lockdown on the only 2 Macan S left before shutdown (I only had a few days to spec) I did most of options there and then in the showroom. It wasn’t until started to look at the website and these forums a few a week or so later that I realised I perhaps should have put more effort in on the day/prep beforehand etc. There isn’t much I can do about it now (have checked this am with dealer) so will look forward to what I’ve ordered. As it’s getting lighter outside I probably won’t notice it much until later on in the year by which point, I’m sure, I will be immensely enjoying the car itself! Thanks.
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Sounds like you have ticked the more important PASAM box... as for the headlights as I’m sure you know there are loads of after market bulbs to look at I had a BMW and Changed the headlight bulbs and found a big improvement, saying that halogen are still more than fine, and as said eye site has a lot to do with it . You could always look at Porsche breakers , and find what you need from them.. iv seen complete headlights for Macans on eBay. Enjoy you s .. look forward to hearing about your views on it.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I would say that we don't miss what we never had. ;-)
If you don't drive long distances in the dark, you will be fine.

Please do not worry about it now since there's nothing you can do short of cancelling your order.
You will enjoy the Macan S nevertheless! :-)

I do agree that Xenons should be standard on the Macans given the cost of the vehicles.

P.S. If I remember correctly this did happen to another member on here, but I cannot recall the name and how it ended.

2nd P.S. As it happens, there is a thread here about bulbs: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6876&start=10
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
964steve

Post by 964steve »

In my opinion the best option you chose was petrol and once you turn the key each time and hear it roar into life you won't care about much else and will have a big grin. You should be getting excited. It is an awesome car.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

First new Porsche wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 am Thanks Col - yes I’m more than happy with S performance- it’s ride and handling were superb on the quick test drive and just the car we need with added practicality. It does remind me somewhat of the fun I had in my old 2001 996 c4 facelift which was awesome. I did perhaps go a bit light on options but it is easy to get carried away. The SE did not mention the lights but said I’ve got the basics covered (I wasn’t bothered about sunroof). I think I’ve got the options important to me such as the 14 way seats, PASM, upgraded rims to 19 inch and a few other bits. Aside from the lights I’m ok and I suppose on the start of another Porsche journey where if the car works out for me like everyone else I’ll be upgrading in a few years to one of the new facelift models.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ8J6NS9
Phew.

You have ticked most of the important boxes which for my recomendations would be:-
PASM
Upgraded seats
Upgraded wheels
Spare wheel
Lights upgrade
PS+

Anything additional is a bonus.

Its PASM that makes the ride and handling of a Macan.

Take it from me a Macan on 21” wheels, with no PASM, standard 8 way seats, no PS+ is not a nice car to be in at all, like a Beamer on flat runflats
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:34 pm
First new Porsche wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:34 am Thanks Col - yes I’m more than happy with S performance- it’s ride and handling were superb on the quick test drive and just the car we need with added practicality. It does remind me somewhat of the fun I had in my old 2001 996 c4 facelift which was awesome. I did perhaps go a bit light on options but it is easy to get carried away. The SE did not mention the lights but said I’ve got the basics covered (I wasn’t bothered about sunroof). I think I’ve got the options important to me such as the 14 way seats, PASM, upgraded rims to 19 inch and a few other bits. Aside from the lights I’m ok and I suppose on the start of another Porsche journey where if the car works out for me like everyone else I’ll be upgrading in a few years to one of the new facelift models.

Phew.

You have ticked most of the important boxes which for my recomendations would be:-
PASM
Upgraded seats
Upgraded wheels
Spare wheel
Lights upgrade
PS+

Take it from me a Macan on 21” wheels, with no PASM, standard 8 way seats, no PS+ is not a nice car to be in at all, like a Beamer on flat runflats
Sorry Colonel I strongly disagree. All my Macans have been without PASM. First two were on 20” Spyders and latest Macan is on 21” Sports Classics. The ride on standard steel suspension is perfectly fine - felt much better than the Cayenne with PASM and Air that I had for 2 days last week. My route into work includes a stretch of cobbled street and the ride over cobbles is no worse than any of the other cars I have had and I have had dozens over the last 30 years that I have worked at the same office.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
VanB

Post by VanB »

All Col's opinion of course and he is evangelical about a number of things that are of no consequence to others (PS+ for example). However, that is why forums are great for people to share a range of different opinions and experiences so that we can help one another make informed choices.

My list of "must haves" would include PASM and LED lights neither of which would necessarily be on someone else's "must haves"
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:47 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Phew.

PASM
Upgraded seats
Upgraded wheels
Spare wheel
Lights upgrade
PS+

Sorry Colonel I strongly disagree. All my Macans have been without PASM. First two were on 20” Spyders and latest Macan is on 21” Sports Classics. The ride on standard steel suspension is perfectly fine - felt much better than the Cayenne with PASM and Air that I had for 2 days last week. My route into work includes a stretch of cobbled street and the ride over cobbles is no worse than any of the other cars I have had and I have had dozens over the last 30 years that I have worked at the same office.
We shall have to agree to disagree.

Please re-read my post I used the term .....my suggestions .... at no stage has the emotive ...... must haves ...... been quoted.

As it happens the S that I drove with no PASM, 21” wheels, 8 way seats and no PS+ rode badly, its handling was far inferior to a PASM equipted car and it was very heavy to park. The ride quality and seat comfort for me was so bad that I had to cease the test drive. Such a Macan is dire and not one I would want, but that is me, others may find it OK but the worst anyone can do is assume something will be OK only to find that it is not in their £50k+ Macan.

Probably before your time on the forum but we have had members miss out some specific extra only to find the car practically unusable for them because of the omission, conversely we have had members include air suspension and it has made them ill.

My advice has always been to have a test drive of a Macan with the seats, suspension and wheels the same as you intend to order to be sure they are suitable for you.

If anyone cannot tell the difference between a PASM and non PASM Macan then that if fine and the cost of an extra saved.

Particularly owners used to a firm ride will probably not notice any difference.

All anyone in doubt needs to do is read up on active suspensions and you should see the benefits of the system against standard shocks and springs. You should see that the shocks and springs give a compromise in the ride and handling. Hit a pot hole at speed in a non PASM Macan and the stability will be affected, hit the same pothole in a PASM equipted Macan and the active suspension reacts instantly and stability is maintained.

I would argue that why spend £50k+ on a car and compromise in the very elements that make a good car great.

There is a reason why the GTS and Turbo variants have PASM as standard and that these are the performance models with the superior handling compared to standard.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

(I think you’ll find Col, that Mark has been on the forum for some consideral time longer than most....)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465