Hello and advice please!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
First new Porsche

Post by First new Porsche »

Hello everyone - just joined early this morning as my new Macan order is playing on my mind - so sorry for long post :? Firstly great Forum, lots of information etc so I wish I’d found this site before ordering back in March as I’m sure you’d have all helped me fine tune my order. I’m due to take delivery of an S Petrol early next month so in lockdown period now. I’ve got a fairly basic spec with about £4K-£5K of options but realised the standard car only comes with halogens! I know this thread has been covered previously so I’m aware the OPC won’t be able to retrofit the bi xenons or LEDs at a later date. I’m quite concerned about the fact that everyone seems to have upgraded on order and those that have the standard halogens immediately try to upgrade the lamps. This is now slighty souring the excitement of the delivery. I know it’s a first world problem but when you spend £53k on a new car I would have expected half decent lights. My fault for not really drilling down into the options. The car hasn’t left the factory yet I believe but I’ve got little chance of an intervention if it’s been locked down and probably near completion? BTW my user name was meant to be the topic thread my only excuse was the early morning registration :oops: I tried to change the username but didn’t have any joy so please use FNP for short if you like! Much appreciated and I await your thoughts.

Thamaturge

Post by Thamaturge »

Hi

Your situation is challenging and very dependent on the type headlight you are used to using but given that most of your driving will be during daylight then the nature of the headlights should not matter too much but try pushing harder to get the lights upgraded and see what happens. If you do manage to get your build changed then in my opinion the Xenons should suffice - I have found them to be comparable to those on BMWs. Alternatively, you could look to do a DIY upgrade on the halogen bulbs if the ones supplied to be too dull.

For information, I never tried LED headlights but people on our forum state that they are very good - they were too pricey for me compared with other options. I have noticed, however, that based on the comments that I have read it seems that LEDs may be more useful in non-urban areas where street lighting is poor to non-exisitant.

Good luck
First new Porsche

Thanks - there are some rural roads around the area so full beam is sometimes required at night. The current car is a basic C Class which has halogens - which are ok ish. I suppose it’s more about the prestige of the Porsche and whether a discerning 2nd hand buyer might be put off in 3 years time.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

I would not worry about the halogens, just enjoy the car for what it is.

Whilst I have not driven a Macan with halogens at night others here have and they are only a bit of a problem if you have night vision issues with your eyesight. If you do then all you need to do is adjust your driving accordingly.

I have had a Macan with Xenons which are good, current Macan has LEDs which are the best, but I do have night vision issues being an old guy, hence they are essential for me.

At £4-5k you do have a lightly loaded Macan, most probably have £8-12k of extras, but there is so much choice and everyones needs are different, so again do not worry.

You are still going to have a great car

Look at it another way, you have found this forum after the event and generally with all the must have this, and that comments about extras a newbie can end up adding £5k to the cost of their Macan, so its not a case of not including Xenons its a case of £5k saved.

Life could be worst, you could have ordered a 2.0 litre.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

First new Porsche wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:56 am Thanks - there are some rural roads around the area so full beam is sometimes required at night. The current car is a basic C Class which has halogens - which are ok ish. I suppose it’s more about the prestige of the Porsche and whether a discerning 2nd hand buyer might be put off in 3 years time.
Again I would not worry about it.

OK ish is good.

Most people will not even know that you will be driving a Porsche, they do not stand out like a 911 or Boxster, so they will not be interested that it has halogens. Those that do take an interest it is the inside and how it drives and handles that they are interested in. At the front end they will be more interested in the clamshell bonnet operation or the electric boot than they are that the lights look different.

Yes your Macan will be less desirable to the discerning buyer but on the otherhand it will be very desirable to someone looking for a first Porsche. Including extras is about what you want, there are some basic inclusions that are disirable but they like all other extras loose far more value come trade in time so pro rata your loss should be at a lower percentile than a more heavily loaded Macan.

Look at it another way, the £5k you saved by not finding this forum before lockdown is there for Macan number 2, for there will be a Macan number 2 or a 911 or a Cayman or a Panny.

There are car makers and there are car makers, then there is Porsche, they are Premier league where BMW, Merc, Jag etc are not even Championship, Porsche ownership is habit forming, as Wingo and Arif will testify (4th in three years, and I’ve lost count).

Enjoy.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Welcome FNP.

Did your sales person not make a recommendation? Before I had even ticked a box, my sales person was telling me that I had to include the sun roof. If they're worth their salt, they'll give you input.

I made a similar choice a few years back in a Golf GTI and regretted not getting the higher spec bi-xenon lights having never experienced them. Forum talk made me seek out a car with them and I realised the difference and value of them so I bought the lights and ballast and retrofitted them myself. It's not a job for the faint hearted and when you open up the dash and look at that wiring loom of densely packed multi coded cables, you realise that this is the edge of the cliff and there is no way back up. :lol: After I installed them, I spent about an hour with the laptop plugged in dealing with fault codes. Must have taken me 5 or 6 hours. I'd never do it again and think I only did it out of some perverse masochism in the first place!

My point is, yes, you can retrofit but it's expensive and unless you can do the work yourself, expect to pay at least half a day of tech labour on top of parts costs. There are implications for warranty and the central dealer database. I'm sure an independent would do the work if you wanted it.

I live in a rural area as well and on narrow country lanes, you'll have plenty of light - get into a car from the '80's or '90's and they'll be like daylight afterwards! I'm sure the lights will be absolutely fine and while it's easier said than don, try to find peace with the decision versus torturing yourself. It's a great car and one to look forward to.

Forums are terrible places for aiding and abetting and regretting. :D
First new Porsche

Thanks Col - yes I’m more than happy with S performance- it’s ride and handling were superb on the quick test drive and just the car we need with added practicality. It does remind me somewhat of the fun I had in my old 2001 996 c4 facelift which was awesome. I did perhaps go a bit light on options but it is easy to get carried away. The SE did not mention the lights but said I’ve got the basics covered (I wasn’t bothered about sunroof). I think I’ve got the options important to me such as the 14 way seats, PASM, upgraded rims to 19 inch and a few other bits. Aside from the lights I’m ok and I suppose on the start of another Porsche journey where if the car works out for me like everyone else I’ll be upgrading in a few years to one of the new facelift models.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ8J6NS9
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

:) Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest you speak to the service manager at your dealership. You might find that they can upgrade the lights after delivery. I know someone whose Cayenne lights were upgraded from Bi-Xenon to LED by his OPC. Admittedly, the step from Halogens to Bi-Xenon is a bigger one because of the issues of automatic range adjustment and headlamp washers.

Anything is possible. It just depends how much you are prepared to pay. :)
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

The cost to upgrade after delivery from Halogen to Bi-xenon will be astronomical, given the parts and labour time, so don't even consider it. The halogens are adequate for normal night time driving for someone with normal eyesight.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The box bottom left on your code - the first suggestion says:

Other Macan S customers did choose the following options

Bi-Xenon lighting system incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver