Used Macan or New Merc GLC Coupe

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
lingus

Post by lingus »

Hi All

I'm no stranger to Porsche's having previously had 2 but moving on for various reasons and making do with lease cars, however in about 5-6 months i could be in a position to swap from my current lease.
I'd love to go back to Porsche ownership but could only maybe stretch to a 3 year old one, whereas i could almost get a GLC Coupe which i also really like as well.
I know what most of you would say is a used Macan will still be superior, i probably agree, but it wount be new and could have had many miles put on and might not have to toys to match the GLC.
Anyone had this headache previously maybe not against the GLC?
Has anyone come up against issues with used Macans? presume if you want piece of mind OPC sourced ones are the best bet, were there any significant changes made to them through the years that mean its worth getting a later version?

However with a new GLC, there will be very little costs for a couple of years into ownership , they are good looking and economical.

Thoughts welcome from others
Ta
Jeff

mavg1986

Post by mavg1986 »

I had this dillema and went for the non coupe GLC with Premium Plus which is an outstanding car.

I wanted to move into the Porsche when I could get the one I chose/spec/brand new which is hopefully happening by end of the year.

Good luck
Deposit paid: Cayenne 3.0
Current: Audi Q7 272hp (2016)/ SQ5 (2015)
Weekend: 911 Carrera 4 (1999)
Daily: BMW i3 (2016)
Spud

Post by Spud »

I am on my 4th Macan now having never owned a Porsche prior, in 2016 i sold Macan No2 to raise funds for a project, i bought a GLC 250d AMG Premium it was a cracking car good to drive could not fault it but when my project was completed i still hankered after the Macan, anyway went and test drove the Macan again and was sold, im not a Porsche Anorak 😉 or have Porsche OCD but as soon as i sat in the Macan and drove it I could feel the difference straight away, the drive, the brakes, the overall finish i could go on, I love Mercs havent driven a bad one yet and was looking at GLC AMG Coupe a few months ago but got a better deal on a GTS, Thankfully we are all different but i honestly believe a 2nd hand Turbo or GTS would be a better long term option but good luck which ever route you go
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
lingus

Post by lingus »

Thanks for the replies so far :) its always of interest to see peoples thought process :)
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

What Glc coupe are you looking at AMG 45 If so I had one for a weekend, covered 300 miles , to be frank is was one of the worst cars / suv I have ever driven ( this is not based on i bought a Porsche ha ha ) the Ackerman’s effect is woeful, the steering is just bad, it’s noisy on the motorway not tyre noise.. outside noise. It rattled and rolled. The only positive is that the engine is a peach. I could not wait to give it back...,Audi Sq5 is superior although steering is dull, but tech is ahead of Macan... all new and old cars can have problems, warranty is key as is Service history, and it’s also nice to meet the owner as a option can soon be made. Personally avoid the Glc coupe, I honestly wanted to like it as it was 9 k cheaper than the Macan ... avoid in my opinion.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

If you do decide on a GLC, make sure you get a good discount, GLS models 220 to 350 you should get £5000 off list, I used Broadspeed for my last Mercedes, they source quotes from Mercedes main dealers in your area and get you the best deal. You usually end up dealing with the business/commercial manager at the dealership. Test drive and sort your spec out at your local MB dealership get a quote then go to online broker like broad speed https://broadspeed.com/new_cars/Mercede ... /automatic
happy days

Post by happy days »

I was following one the other day. I couldn’t help but think that the hatch lid belonged to another type of car. It just looks weird to me.

https://goo.gl/images/YE5zhL
Macan S D
718 S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I had 5 x brand new Mercedes, prior to switching to a brand new Macan. I had looked to buy a GLC but.....they have had a LOT of bad press on the forums. The Macan is just SO much better. It will hold its value better IMO too. Maybe look at a PCP on a new or nearly new one.

The GLC is being offered with huge discounts e.g. Up to £10,500 off new Merc GLC | UK main dealer - Why pay more?‎ www.drivethedeal.com/‎
I think that speaks volumes!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SRDL

Post by SRDL »

Mike and his Macan wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:21 pm What Glc coupe are you looking at AMG 45 If so I had one for a weekend, covered 300 miles , to be frank is was one of the worst cars / suv I have ever driven ( this is not based on i bought a Porsche ha ha ) the Ackerman’s effect is woeful, the steering is just bad, it’s noisy on the motorway not tyre noise.. outside noise. It rattled and rolled. The only positive is that the engine is a peach. I could not wait to give it back...,Audi Sq5 is superior although steering is dull, but tech is ahead of Macan... all new and old cars can have problems, warranty is key as is Service history, and it’s also nice to meet the owner as a option can soon be made. Personally avoid the Glc coupe, I honestly wanted to like it as it was 9 k cheaper than the Macan ... avoid in my opinion.
Mike makes a good point about the Ackerman effect and this is well documented on the Mercedes forum I frequent. When they re-engineered to car for right hand drive, they changed some of the steering geometry to make things fit and there are a lot of reports of wheels juddering on full lock and excessive front tyre wear. The choice of tyre does seem to make some difference though. It’s one of the reasons I am going Porsche this time rather than stay with Mercedes.
Steve
Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 (3 litre, 367bhp) - in the end I went for that rather than a Macan S - sorry!
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Yes that ties in with my experience.. when I brought the GLC back to the dealership, the SE asked what I thought, I mentioned the steering and Ackerman’s effect, he said the solution was to change to winter tyres! Which of course are great in the summer months 😁.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊