New Member and advice please

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 am Contrary to what SAC1 says about fuel consumption.

My SD never, ever showed anywhere near 40 mpg on the MFD, well it did, going downhill coasting.

Actual measured mpg was a lowly 33.

Current Turbo averaging c22 mpg.

Would expect a petrol S to be averaging c26mpg.
Doing a spirited 136 mile drive around Dorset last Sunday, my 2017 model SD returned 40.6 mpg. This was on A-roads, with some dual carriageways, and B-roads. The 13 month average is running at 36.8 mpg.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Davidg1230 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:18 am My driving type is not heavy use, city mainly and not much motorway. A petrol version would be the ideal choice as I don't do many annual miles, say 3.5k to 4.5k annually. I also live in central London so would prefer a petrol due to the forthcoming ULEZ charging. I've just sold my Merc CLS because of this reason but looking around I don't think I can afford a petrol Macan. I've also been looking at a hybrid Cayenne as an alternative, but my budget means these will be quite old (5 years??) Fuel and runningcosts are not the issue, just really the initial purchase cost.

My budget is low 30's, not high 30's, hence resigning myself to a diesel.
My Macan diesel will be three years old this month. Apart from a new transfer box (which is a Macan issue not a diesel one) it has been entirely trouble free. One reason for that is I only use it for long journeys. With your description of your planned usage I would strongly suggest that a Macan SD is not for you.

If you search this forum for issues with the SD, a common theme is trouble occurs if they are consistently used for short journeys.

If you can find one within your budget (which rules out buying from a Porsche dealer) I would suggest the 2L Macan. I had one for a day yesterday while my car had its first MOT and it was really good round town. On the open road, its only weakness was it lacked the overtaking oomph of the SD.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Davidg1230

Post by Davidg1230 »

On-Track wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm
Davidg1230 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:18 am My driving type is not heavy use, city mainly and not much motorway. A petrol version would be the ideal choice as I don't do many annual miles, say 3.5k to 4.5k annually. I also live in central London so would prefer a petrol due to the forthcoming ULEZ charging. I've just sold my Merc CLS because of this reason but looking around I don't think I can afford a petrol Macan. I've also been looking at a hybrid Cayenne as an alternative, but my budget means these will be quite old (5 years??) Fuel and runningcosts are not the issue, just really the initial purchase cost.

My budget is low 30's, not high 30's, hence resigning myself to a diesel.
My Macan diesel will be three years old this month. Apart from a new transfer box (which is a Macan issue not a diesel one) it has been entirely trouble free. One reason for that is I only use it for long journeys. With your description of your planned usage I would strongly suggest that a Macan SD is not for you.

If you search this forum for issues with the SD, a common theme is trouble occurs if they are consistently used for short journeys.

If you can find one within your budget (which rules out buying from a Porsche dealer) I would suggest the 2L Macan. I had one for a day yesterday while my car had its first MOT and it was really good round town. On the open road, its only weakness was it lacked the overtaking oomph of the SD.
Whilst I say we only do short journeys, we do get out of London every other week and this would be motorway miles. Understand that diesels need certain driving to prevent these issues. Never really seen a 2.0l model for sale until now and the current cheapest on Autotrader is a 2015 for £40k :o
Davidg1230

Post by Davidg1230 »

As a matter of interest, how much are the transfer boxes to replace? assuming it's not covered under the warranty. Can an good independent garage tackle this work?

Also, same goes for the DPF, is this a big job to clean/replace?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:27 am
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:58 am Contrary to what SAC1 says about fuel consumption.

My SD never, ever showed anywhere near 40 mpg on the MFD, well it did, going downhill coasting.

Actual measured mpg was a lowly 33.

Current Turbo averaging c22 mpg.

Would expect a petrol S to be averaging c26mpg.
Doing a spirited 136 mile drive around Dorset last Sunday, my 2017 model SD returned 40.6 mpg. This was on A-roads, with some dual carriageways, and B-roads. The 13 month average is running at 36.8 mpg.
This is typical of the Macan SD, its all over the place.

Your 36.8 mpg is about the same as I got out of the 2.0 Audi diesel I had in the Q3.

These Audi diesel engines are all over the place, never ever again.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
johnd

Post by johnd »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:27 am Doing a spirited 136 mile drive around Dorset last Sunday, my 2017 model SD returned 40.6 mpg. This was on A-roads, with some dual carriageways, and B-roads. The 13 month average is running at 36.8 mpg.
Are they true mpg figures or the inflated MFD ones?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

At the risk of preaching to the converted: fuel consumption is dependent on many things so if every forum member posted their figures they would very enormously. I record the mileage every time I fill the car (to the brim for consistency) and have kept an Excel spreadsheet with the figures ( :( ).

Col Lamb would say they are all over the place. Best tankful (408 miles) 40.24 mile/g; worst (320 miles) 30.9 mile/g. Average over 29200 miles 35.3 mile/g. I've seen 42.4 on the MFD on several occasions at the end of a 120 mile trip from home to Heathrow.

On one of my journeys home from Heathrow I saw 39.5 with an average speed close to the National Speed Limit which shows how good the SD is when conditions allow steady state cruising. As a "mile muncher" the SD is a great machine. That doesn't mean it's right for everyone.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
johnd

Post by johnd »

On-Track wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:05 pm ...I record the mileage every time I fill the car (to the brim for consistency) and have kept an Excel spreadsheet with the figures ( :( ).
Or you could use a cloud service like Fuelly as I and some others here do. Link is in my sig, which records and displays details of every fill-up I've done since new (20K miles now). You can see how the (true) mpg has varied over time, with different journey profiles, different seasons etc. (Just be sure to select UK units at the top) And if you go down to the 'Recent fuel-ups' then there's a 'Chart all fuel-ups' option - best 35.8 and worst 29, both this year, as it happens.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Wilpert

Post by Wilpert »

Back to the original post about what can be got for the budget.
I would go for spec over mileage every time.

Ive often bought high mileage cars and saved a fortune, just get it checked and ensure the servicing is well up to date and that you arent in for a big spend straight away, i.e. tyres, brakes etc. Then so what if the miles are a bit high.
Especially given your low intended mileage, it will average out in time.

i bought a RR sport with 85k on it a fews years back, its well specced but a big V8 gas guzzler. now has 134k and will be my winter wheels to save my Boxster from over use.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

IMG_20180718_134427.jpg

johnd wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:57 pm
SAC1 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:27 am Doing a spirited 136 mile drive around Dorset last Sunday, my 2017 model SD returned 40.6 mpg. This was on A-roads, with some dual carriageways, and B-roads. The 13 month average is running at 36.8 mpg.
Are they true mpg figures or the inflated MFD ones?
The 13 month figure is true. The Dorset one is MFD.

Here's today's trip using predominantly motorways in medium to heavy traffic conditions.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver