Macan Diesel Performance figures

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

happy days wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:02 pm My neighbour has an F-Type and he keeps it in his garage all week while he drives a Kia Picanto to work. It comes out on Sunday for a wash. I only think I've ever seen him driving it once on the road. Total waste, if you ask me.
Very sad. Not what the designers of these sports cars had in mind. :roll: But it’s his money I guess and if washing his F-Type makes him happy...

What I really object to though is where a sports car is very hard to get hold of, where punters buy one (or more) hoping it will be an appreciating asset, do next to no mileage in it and thereby deprive a genuine enthusiast of the pleasure of regularly using the car as it was intended. :(
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Col M

Post by Col M »

Del
Last edited by Col M on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
skipper

Post by skipper »

VanB wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:41 pm Am I alone in failing to understand why anyone would own a driver's car like that and not drive it? Seems like a futile extravagance to me! This is not a criticism but more about something I find inexplicable. I have to reign myself in with the 911 so that I don't put too many miles on it. I equally find it inexplicable that most Porsches (apparently) cover no more than 6k miles a year. Why bother owning one if you're not going to drive it?
You may be right in your view. My F type never went to the supermarket or for that matter any trips into the local city (Lincoln) for shopping trips etc. I took the view that driving it in a nose to tail queue in and out of the city was no fun, coupled with the fact that when you got it parked some idiot was bound to park too close to it and put a ding on the expensive aluminium bodywork. So I would pick the journeys when it came out, which were all the pleasurable journeys for days out, short breaks away and road trips in Yorkshire and Scotland. We had an aging Audi Q3 to do all the boring stuff and it was much better at lugging shopping back home or carrying grand children in the back.

I suppose I never took the f type anywhere where I wouldn't enjoy the journey either because of the road conditions or the task in hand which meant every journey in it remained special.
Macan Diesel S, Volcano, 20" Spyders, 14 way, Pano roof, Partial leather, Power Steering +, PASM, PDLS, Park Assist + camera, Heated Seats.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

skipper wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:26 pm
VanB wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:41 pm Am I alone in failing to understand why anyone would own a driver's car like that and not drive it? Seems like a futile extravagance to me! This is not a criticism but more about something I find inexplicable. I have to reign myself in with the 911 so that I don't put too many miles on it. I equally find it inexplicable that most Porsches (apparently) cover no more than 6k miles a year. Why bother owning one if you're not going to drive it?
You may be right in your view. My F type never went to the supermarket or for that matter any trips into the local city (Lincoln) for shopping trips etc. I took the view that driving it in a nose to tail queue in and out of the city was no fun, coupled with the fact that when you got it parked some idiot was bound to park too close to it and put a ding on the expensive aluminium bodywork. So I would pick the journeys when it came out, which were all the pleasurable journeys for days out, short breaks away and road trips in Yorkshire and Scotland. We had an aging Audi Q3 to do all the boring stuff and it was much better at lugging shopping back home or carrying grand children in the back.

I suppose I never took the f type anywhere where I wouldn't enjoy the journey either because of the road conditions or the task in hand which meant every journey in it remained special.
This is what I've always done with my fun cars. No point in sitting in a winter traffic jam or putting thousands of mindless motorway miles on your fun day car. Always better to have a daily driver for the mundane stuff and do all the fun mileage in something more special. Of course not driving the fun car hardly at all is a bit pointless too unless it's purely a financial investment. I must admit I'm guilty of not driving my classic 911 enough these days, but it's making more money than bank interest so I'm reluctant to sell it.