Decision nearly made - any last-minute advice?

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
jgedwards

Post by jgedwards »

I knew this forum would be useful but didn't expect such a great response, thanks everyone.
Here's my reasoning on the two must-haves, but I really appreciate the alternative opinions given, gives me food for thought.
Essential SV? I really like to keep the car in a garage and the fit will be very tight (107mm clearance with mirrors folded). I also have history with catching wings of previous cars so very sensitive to this problem. Spent 30 mins at the PC negotiating tight spaces using the SV - the salesman was having kittens in the passenger seat! I decided it really helped, hence it's a must-have. Will come in useful elsewhere but garage entry is the real need. Very surprised how few cars have full SD, most have just reversing camera. As I can only exit the car when in garage by driving forwards into it, it has to be SV rather than one rear camera. Of course eventually need to fold mirrors in which then distorts side views, but by then I'll be properly lined up (or looking for touch-up!)
Towbar; PC estimated £3k for retrofit fully installed, it may end up a bit less but still seems better to find a car with one fitted already.
So really it's down to colours. Honestly, if I had a blank sheet I would really struggle to decide what spec to go for. I don't dislike the one on offer, just indifferent to it and have much the same feeling towards all colour options. Have seen quite a few variations in the flesh, including my midnight blue/ brown one. I definitely don't want a black exterior (would be out cleaning it every day - or buying another car to use in the rain!). Usually like silver but for some reason not on a larger car area. Thought pebble-grey interior sounded good, but even without kids at home to ferry around anymore I couldn't live with trying to keep it clean. Don't like all-black or the partial red interiors either - obviously car companies haven't come up with anything that suits picky me! This makes me think I won't find any combination I'll fall in love with, so as long as I find it acceptable (when clean the midnight blue is really very nice), I'm thinking the driving experience will 'bring us closer'. Maybe if I start wearing check shirts and cowboy boots the saddle brown leather dash will also feel better!
Thanks again for the great variety of feedback, just what I wanted. Overall it's a very nice problem to have! Will let you know how it goes.
JohnE

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:23 am Welcome

There are four MUST HAVES in my book:-

PASM, gives the best ride and handling
Reversing camera, rear quarter view is very restricted
Xenons, standard halogen are poor
14/18 way seats, standard 8 way are unsupportive and have a very flat back.

Good luck with your search.

Do hunt out on this forum threads and read them on DPF issues that some SD owners have had.

With the SD some have obtained reasonable mpg, me, I only managed 33mpg actual, not the 36mpg that the in car MFD showed.
Welcome to our friendly Forum JohnE.

I totally agree with the first 3 options shown in the list above.

I tried all the three seat options and preferred the standard ones that come with leather and Alcantara centres. More comfortable seating than the all leather ones IMO and after 9000 miles and several 300+ mile trips I have had absolutely no back ache issues.

One option I could not live without is the panoramic roof. It floods the cabin with light and you can always have the sun blind across on the rare occasions that you don't need the extra light or sun heat. It also makes the cabin lighter, especially if you have a black / dark interior, and for rear seat passengers. I use the roof tilt function a lot and fully /partially open for cruising in hot weather. It's been a massive boon this summer as have the dark tinted rea windows.

Wheel design is a very personal choice. You can always replace with other sizes / patterns if you cant live with the ones the car comes with.

Tow bars can be retro-fitted.

The diesel engine is great - powerful, economical [probably at least a third better than petrol] and works extremely well with the PDK gearbox. Here you have a choice of fully auto, paddle changes or manual [left gear lever plane] changes. I'm a "press-on" driver, but most of the time i leave it in the default setting and occasionally use the paddles for a downchange prior to a quick overtake. If you want extra performance at any time, then just press the SPORT button for more rapid fire progress in any of these three options. EU6 diesel engined vehicles all need to be driven hard and not suited to constant low speed short journeys, as that's the way to get DPF issues. it's not all just about how many miles p.a. that you do.

Do go and test drive some Macans, ideally for a minimum of an hour on mixed roads, to get a feel for the superior SUV experience that they provide

Good luck with your search, but get one as you wont regret it. ;) :)
Last edited by SAC1 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

Just a point of detail re the towbar...all singing and dancing electrically retractable for under £2K.
It would be a shame to dismiss many, many cars out there for the sake of a factory towbar

3FF15053-B1F0-4F1C-9F29-6BB889CBE118.png

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
andreas

Post by andreas »

jgedwards wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:52 pm I knew this forum would be useful but didn't expect such a great response, thanks everyone.
Here's my reasoning on the two must-haves, but I really appreciate the alternative opinions given, gives me food for thought.
Essential SV? I really like to keep the car in a garage and the fit will be very tight (107mm clearance with mirrors folded). I also have history with catching wings of previous cars so very sensitive to this problem. Spent 30 mins at the PC negotiating tight spaces using the SV - the salesman was having kittens in the passenger seat! I decided it really helped, hence it's a must-have. Will come in useful elsewhere but garage entry is the real need. Very surprised how few cars have full SD, most have just reversing camera. As I can only exit the car when in garage by driving forwards into it, it has to be SV rather than one rear camera. Of course eventually need to fold mirrors in which then distorts side views, but by then I'll be properly lined up (or looking for touch-up!)
Towbar; PC estimated £3k for retrofit fully installed, it may end up a bit less but still seems better to find a car with one fitted already.
So really it's down to colours. Honestly, if I had a blank sheet I would really struggle to decide what spec to go for. I don't dislike the one on offer, just indifferent to it and have much the same feeling towards all colour options. Have seen quite a few variations in the flesh, including my midnight blue/ brown one. I definitely don't want a black exterior (would be out cleaning it every day - or buying another car to use in the rain!). Usually like silver but for some reason not on a larger car area. Thought pebble-grey interior sounded good, but even without kids at home to ferry around anymore I couldn't live with trying to keep it clean. Don't like all-black or the partial red interiors either - obviously car companies haven't come up with anything that suits picky me! This makes me think I won't find any combination I'll fall in love with, so as long as I find it acceptable (when clean the midnight blue is really very nice), I'm thinking the driving experience will 'bring us closer'. Maybe if I start wearing check shirts and cowboy boots the saddle brown leather dash will also feel better!
Thanks again for the great variety of feedback, just what I wanted. Overall it's a very nice problem to have! Will let you know how it goes.
I specified Surround View on my S, largely because I wanted to avoid kerbing the wheels! It's a superb option, as you already realise, so I'd say keep looking for a Macan SD with Surround View. I use it all the time when parking - watching the screen more than the mirrors.

The fully hidden electric towbar is a great option, too (I spec'd that as well), but it's not essential. As others have said, you can retrofit the all-singing all-dancing towbar for about £2K, or you can get a removeable towbar retro-fitted for less than a grand.

Don't assume the Pebble Grey interior is a nightmare to keep clean. I chose it as, like you, I don't like the black or red interiors, and I'm not keen on the brown/beige interior. It's not been a problem to keep clean, an occasional wipe of the seat bolsters with Dr Leather wipes will remove any staining from blue jeans. The Pebble Grey is a great looking interior, with a sense of occasion every time you get into the car.

Cars are being added all the time to the used car stock, so whatever you do, don't buy anything you're not 100% happy about. Just wait a while and see what comes along.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
jgedwards

Post by jgedwards »

Hey, more great advice that I'm taking onboard. The OPC with the car I'm interested in has been busy valeting and sending me videos since I drove it yesterday. Ext & Int colours definitely growing on me after reviewing alternative specs and the rest of the car spec fits extremely well. Will give it a few more days to think on it and see if anything new comes up as a result of the new numberplate, but the OPC comment is that Porsches are ordered well in advance and whether they are delivered at a plate change point or not is random. I last bought an Audi at 1st March and they were crammed with new cars and desperately trying to shift their part-exes, but of course they have massive storage parks with all specs, so I'm inclined to agree that Porsche cars are a different case. I'll hold back a couple of days to see if there's any noticeable increase in pre-owneds before I commit. Have to admit I don't think I can hold on too much longer to make a decision now I have the bug! (Porsche not VW).
Thanks everyone.
JohnE
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

John, once you get the bug, it's a tough habit to quit! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I will echo what others have said about the inclusion of Surround Cam, I had RevCam on my SD but specified SurCam on my Turbo, SurCam is a great addition and should I ever buy another Porsche then it would have to have SurCam.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Surround Cam and PASM sound like must haves for you, I agree it would be better to open up your scope for the right combination car by retrofitting the tow bar, if at point of sale push the OPC to discount the part? You didn't mention wheel size, if you are going to tow a lot maybe steer clear of 21"! Also, pano roof albeit rarely open it floods light to the cabin which is very nice and re pebble interior, if it's just adults using and driving and it's not used as a mobile dining area😖 It's really not a problem, usually only the drivers seat that you have to take care of and use a leather wipe tissue on occasion.

I wouldn't suggest you bought any car that wasn't your near perfect combination, it will niggle away at you and you'll find yourself spending a lot more cash than you needed because you decide that you just have to change it for your right vehicle NOW 🤑
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6