Getting the best deal

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Hi
I've read all the posts and I've been to the dealer and I (reluctantly) accept I can't get a discount but is a more motivated likely to give me a better p/x price for my car (Audi Q5)? I am of a mind to spec up a new Macan and send that spec to half a dozen dealers asking for the best p/x price. Does that sound sensible / likely to get me something?
Alternatively I have cash in the bank and I can buy without needing to sell would that make me more attractive for getting something off / in?

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

Fairynuff wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:25 pm Hi
I've read all the posts and I've been to the dealer and I (reluctantly) accept I can't get a discount but is a more motivated likely to give me a better p/x price for my car (Audi Q5)? I am of a mind to spec up a new Macan and send that spec to half a dozen dealers asking for the best p/x price. Does that sound sensible / likely to get me something?
Alternatively I have cash in the bank and I can buy without needing to sell would that make me more attractive for getting something off / in?
One issue is the timing. You can ask for trade in prices as of now, but by the time your new Macan arrives in 6? 9? months time, the actual trade in value could be very different.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Paul

Post by Paul »

You’ll struggle to get a firm price on a p/x until very close to build /delivery, and then it’ll be the basic trade value.
You’ll also struggle to get anything off a facelift Macan until the supply frees up (your other post mentions a 3.0 litre which has not yet been announced) no matter howmany dealerships you talk to.
Welcome to the world of Porsche!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's a new model and the 3.0litre will probably have a waiting list due to the longer than usual factory shut down. Porsche dealers are not renowned for their generosity on PXs unless its something equally desirable so I would suggest the first thing to do would be to see who's taking deposits and where you'd be in the queue for delivery and go from there. Oh and these days someone taking their finance is a much more attractive proposition than a cash buyer due to the potential commission on offer.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Welcome. Go and speak with your 2 or 3 nearest dealers to see who can offer you the shortest lead time on a 3-litre Macan and to see if you feel comfortable with that OPC and their SE. At this stage you will not need to commit to being a cash or finance buyer. A (refundable until lock down of spec) deposit will secure your place in the queue.

Nearer the delivery time you can sell your Q5 - privately / via trade offers / back to your Audi dealer / on-line bidders. Or probably worst case, get a tade-in price from the Porsche dealer.

Depending on where you live, Forum members may be able to give you advice on the best Porsche dealer + sales exec in your area.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Thanks for the helpful advice. I live in Liverpool and I can tell you that this is my second venture into the world of macan. I went over to Cheshire a year back and found it difficult to take the attitude (we're doing you a favour selling you a car). I have to say that that attitude has gone and they now seem keen to sell. I'd like to buy a macan but I need to feel like I am getting some degree of value for money or the best deal I can get. If the world of macan is simply buy it at any price because there's a queue of people behind you waiting to throw money at them then my thinking is, I might as well put my deposit on the most desirable / rarest model hence my 3 litre post, I then just have to live long enough to get it (depressing!)
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I can’t speak for what’s available now but 24 months ago cash discount on a Macan GTS as well as a top rate part ex for an Audi I had. Even when collection was 4 months later the part ex remained the same. This was at a time when waiting lists were high and the GTS newish.

Also finance at under 1%. So keep the cash in the bank. As well as other goodies as part of the deal.

For me it’s about relationships with your OPC and SE. Having purchased many cars from many manufacturers this is what’s always been key to the deals I have got.

In saying all of that I would not expect a discount on a Porsche because it’s not the norm. Or at least not very much. But you should certainly get a great experience and be well looked after.
If I am not felt wanted as a customer then the discount is not as rosy......

I have never walked in asking for a discount. It’s the last thing that is discussed to seal the deal after building a good relationship 😉

Hope that’s cheered you up and hope you find the right deal for you.
GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

:lol: Value for money, and a Porsche.

The absolutely only chance you have of getting VFM is to place a letter of intent now for a GTS, then as soon as they are available to order to place a deposit, then spec it to a reasonable level, then once you take delivery, sell it on with a bit of luck at a bit if a profit.

There has not been any new Macans made for quite a while now and the only variant available to order currently is the base 2.0 litre which is not a desirable version for the vast majority of potential Macan owners.

The early Macans were very desirable due to their rareity and the very long wait times, the effect was very little if any depreciation. This state will probably not be achievable again to anywhere like the same degree but who really knows.

So forget about VFM it is not going to happen, get a Macan and you will get the best SUV there is, enjoy it and enjoy the smile on your face whenever you start your Macan, that is priceless and something you cannot put monetary value on.

But, be warned once you buy a Porsche you may will find yourself hooked, nothing competes.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I was chatting to the SE from Belfast last week and he said they and other OPCs are taking deposits on .2 Macan GTS already. No clear idea when they will become available but that doesnt seem to be a problem.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Fairynuff wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:08 pm Thanks for the helpful advice. I live in Liverpool and I can tell you that this is my second venture into the world of macan. I went over to Cheshire a year back and found it difficult to take the attitude (we're doing you a favour selling you a car). I have to say that that attitude has gone and they now seem keen to sell. I'd like to buy a macan but I need to feel like I am getting some degree of value for money or the best deal I can get. If the world of macan is simply buy it at any price because there's a queue of people behind you waiting to throw money at them then my thinking is, I might as well put my deposit on the most desirable / rarest model hence my 3 litre post, I then just have to live long enough to get it (depressing!)
Bolton isn't too far away from you Fairynuff - Private Message me and I'll put you in touch with my guy at the dealership, I have a history of about 7 cars bought from them so they will look after you.

Arif
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S