Macan S

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
goron59

Post by goron59 »

nozydog wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:45 am
VanB wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:09 pm I had air on my GTS and the ride was sublime. Sporty when needed, comfortable when needed. If I wanted an SUV again it would be one of the first things I ticked on the spec sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess I don’t buy a Porsche for a comfortable ride... I love the firmness of a sports chassis... the softer things get the less road feel and putting air between the chassis and the wheels kinda seems wrong to me!
It's just a different kind of spring (compressed air vs bent metal). It doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be "floaty".
What it does mean is it's going to be self-levelling, which is fairly important on a vehicle of this size and weight.
A sports car isn't going to have 2 rear passengers, 4 suitcases and a bag of sand from B&Q in the back and still need to perform properly.

People get hung up on the idea that air suspension is all about comfort.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^ Well said goron! And let's not forget, the Macan isn't a sports car!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Pivot wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:36 am
nozydog wrote:
Pivot wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:15 pm Is sport exhaust option any good?

I enjoy the sound of 6-cyl engine, but I dislike the totally unnecessary backfire.
So do I.... but interestingly, both CAR & Autocar say the new 4 cylinder engine sounds better than the six!!! :o
That is odd... although, some journos are backfire enthusiasts... at least those I met years ago... so they might be looking for different things. I will take new 2.0 for a drive and check it out.
Yes I intend to test drive this one first. If happy with it I won't even test the S as the 2.0 is still faster than most SUVs out there! Maybe it is the pops & cracks the journos like, you could be right... my current BMW straight six has a wonderfully sonorous tone without being brash or lairy like an AMG! :roll:

I know Porsche have added their own intake and exhaust manifolds & turbo to the GTi engine so they will have made it sound as good as it can for a straight four!
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:49 am ^^^ Well said goron! And let's not forget, the Macan isn't a sports car!
I'm sure the AS is very good but it just seems like a very expensive option to add to an already expensive car!

No it certainly isn't a sports car, that's why I don't get why so many people seem to write off the 4 pot engine which is actually plenty strong enough for an SUV of this modest size (see glowing CAR/Autocar reviews from yesterday) It actually moves the Macan as quickly as the new RR Evoque's 300hp ingenium engine, and that's a smaller, lighter car!! I imagine the superb pdk plays a big part here!
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

nozydog wrote:Yes I intend to test drive this one first. If happy with it I won't even test the S as the 2.0 is still faster than most SUVs out there! Maybe it is the pops & cracks the journos like, you could be right... my current BMW straight six has a wonderfully sonorous tone without being brash or lairy like an AMG! :roll:

I know Porsche have added their own intake and exhaust manifolds & turbo to the GTi engine so they will have made it sound as good as it can for a straight four!
Good plot nozydog!
I need few more torques, but I am very keen to see how new 2.0 rides and sounds.
I agree on BMW I-6 3.0 glorious soundtrack!
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Does anyone have Torque Vectoring on 3.0 S? What is your assessment?

I like the idea, but I don’t see myself riding a 1.8 ton van around a racing track [emoji51]
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

So my new config is here... http://www.porsche-code.com/PKPTZIW5

I dropped the pano roof that seems to be suspected of leaks and condensation issues.

I added footballer wheels and GT steering wheel. Green is growing on me... [emoji102]
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Pivot wrote:Does anyone have Torque Vectoring on 3.0 S? What is your assessment?

I like the idea, but I don’t see myself riding a 1.8 ton van around a racing track [emoji51]
Is no one using PTV on the Macan?
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

We have PTV on our Turbo that we bought secondhand. Only really needed once when booting it out of a tight corner on a mountain pass covered in gravel. It would prove useful if you plan to do runs to the mountains for skiing and such. I think that's why the original owner of our Turbo specced it as the car did a lot of trips to the French Alps and it also came with the optional ski bag. 🎿 Otherwise not much point in normal driving in our opinion.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Oh, I do like the Mamba Green now too, we played with the confuserator last night and came up with this (not a fan of sunroof or roof rails, so dropped those in favour of air suspension, GT steering wheel and the dynamic LED headlights in black):

iris.jpeg

iris-2.jpeg

iris-3.jpeg

Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0