Macan S

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I have been loitering around the forum for a while... time for an introduction.

I want an SUV for summer travels to mainland Eurp. I failed to convince my wife that she needs a van, so if I will have to drive one, just as well I can get a Porsche... BOOM, always wanted wan!

I took Macan 2.0 for a drive and I was somewhat disappointed, but not surprised, given that I currently drive 435i, 3.0 in-line 6-cyl, twin-turbo.

So, I took Macan S for a drive and it was more like it... enough said I put down a deposit and placed an order for Macan S. Now, waiting for detailed specs and a delivery date.

Hopefully Brexit will not stuff-up the pricing of imported vehicles, as it is most likely to be delivered after March 2019.

Any insight about specs and dates would be appreciated. If I hear anything from a dealer I will pipe-in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4

Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

You have definitely opened the taps with that question!.. PASM definitely , and welcome to the confuserster world 😊
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

As you have been lurhing for a while you probably have seen the what to specify stick thread, if not I suggest you read though it.

As for spec, the base and S have been pretty spartan regarding inclusions and typically in the past £8-10k of Extras have been added to get a Macan most are happy with.

You will probably have a long wait, has the SE given any hints?

What to spec is where many here disagree and that they mistakenly say there are no must haves but that said if you drive a basic Macan that has no extras you more than likely will not buy one.

If you want a Macan with the best handling then add PASM and larger wheels

For maximising performance add Sports Chrono

To get the most comfortable seating then 14 or 18 way are the options its just which is best for you.

Look at my spec below, it is the minimum that I would want in a Macan.

Do test drive a Macan close to your spec before you lockdown the spec and do note that if the SE wants spec lockdown any earlier than two months prior to build date then they are conning you into a locked contract, your deposit is fully refundable until you lock down the spec.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks guys for your insight!

Would it be fair to expect that when I lock-in the specs I would do that against a specific VIN # with a specific production date and indicative delivery date? That is how I ordered my BMW 435i.

The Porsche dealer said that he doesn’t have a firm date for me yet, but we can expect it in April. I hope that Brexit deal doesn’t derail my plans, or I might have to revert to BMW.
Paul

Post by Paul »

If (and it is only an if) Brexit does derail your plans then it will also apply to BMW surely?

Regardless, the Porsche ordering system is less precise than BMW due to a significant difference between supply and demand.

Porsche dealers will almost certainly have fewer build slots allocated compared to customer interest. They will want you to give them a firm spec in advance such that when “ your” slot opens they can fix it straight away. At this point you’ll get a better idea of build weeks etc and yes, indicative delivery estimations. You won’t get a chassis number until the body in white enters the production line but the dealership will have access to to a build tracker which they can interrogate.

(And of course, Col’s spec is the best....😉)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Paul wrote:If (and it is only an if) Brexit does derail your plans then it will also apply to BMW surely?

Regardless, the Porsche ordering system is less precise than BMW due to a significant difference between supply and demand.
Well, currently one can order BMW in Nov for Dec delivery, however in Q1 there might be a pre-Brexit run on premium brands and the demand might outstrip supply... so if we don’t get a clarity on Macan supply, we are at risk of delivery at a higher price.
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

PASM is a must, I have full leather but I bought mine used. I have also had a 435i which I regret selling but it just wasn't practical enough. I think I'll move to a BMW Touring when the Macan itch has been scratched and back to petrol too.The Bose sound system is epic and a sunroof useful, I miss the heated steering wheel and would certainly spec that too. Be prepared for delivery dates being moved around.
As I understand it, once you have agreed the spec and signed the form that is a contract and they cannot change the price unless it is agreed between both parties. Good luck.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^
Partially so (re price rise)

What will actually happen is that they will inform you of a price rise and be obliged to release you from the contract if you don’t agree....so you won’t get the car!

You can’t force them to supply at the original price☹️

Edit - many manufacturers do “price protect” but Porsche traditionally don’t need to, with an excess of demand over supply.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks guys, very useful insight!

Re trim, I intend taking Macan for long drives and in general I prefer natural leather, but in summer it tends to be rather warm.
Is alcantara comfortable on long drives? I understand that it is a breathable synthetic material.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Alcantara, in my experience, is very comfortable on long drives. We did a 4+ hour trip in this summer's heatwave and had none of the sticky leather problem. As a bonus heated seats with Alcantara deliver max heat quicker too in winter.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver