Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks Semerka,

I plan to travel mostly in summer... last year we had 2 full days of snow on the south coast [emoji38] vectoring will be wasted on me
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Pivot wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:36 pm
Pivot wrote:Does anyone have Torque Vectoring on 3.0 S? What is your assessment?

I like the idea, but I don’t see myself riding a 1.8 ton van around a racing track [emoji51]
Is no one using PTV on the Macan?
I am on my Turbo (and it's PTV+ - PTV is an old skool mechanical locking diff). I had a bit of a thread on it when ordering my current one, decided against it, then at last minute, decided I would add it. It was only about £1k as I remember.

There have been times (quite a few times) where I know it's there and it has helped me get out of bends quicker, and a few times where I've driven along some familiar chicane-like road sections where it goes through with more speed and composure than my previous Macan without PTV+ did.

Some of it is just in your mind, or it could be other factors, but it wasn't something I was going to fret about if I didn't spec it.

If it was a free option, it would be a no brainer. With most electric cars, it's standard (would be hard to drive them without!)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
nass

Post by nass »

Pivot wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:38 pm Does anyone have Torque Vectoring on 3.0 S? What is your assessment?

I like the idea, but I don’t see myself riding a 1.8 ton van around a racing track [emoji51]
I have it and it transforms the car from an understeering SUV to as-close-to-an-Evo-as-it-can-get (given that I was driving an Evo X for 9 years)
No understeer, pulls the nose inside, you can feel torque been transferred to the rear external wheel, well, that's good enough for a 2 ton SUV (weighted on FIA-approved weighbridge :D 2000 Kg exactly)
Note: it only works when pressing the gas pedal :P
PTV is the most understated option (I understand 2% of the buyers in the US chose it :roll: you see, no buttons on the console :mrgreen: ) but, along with Air+PASM, transform the Macan to "more than an SUV".
And of course it's not only for track, any B-road is good enough.
(Not taking snow performance into account, I've not tested it yet)
goron59

Post by goron59 »

^^^ @nass
Yes, I'd echo that but wanted to be a bit more reserved about it :-) You do have to be someone on it to feel it.

There are a couple of roundabouts near me where full throttle is possible on exit and the nose keeps well in and you rocket off into the distance. Previous non PTV+ Macan this was impossible.

Slaloming on icy/slippery roads is meant to be easier, but I couldn't really do a back to back comparison when testing this.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

What is PTV based on? If not mechanical diff-lock, perhaps electronically controlled hydraulic diff lock of the slowest moving wheel? Or an old fashion, application of brakes to the spinning wheel and therefore transferring the power to the wheel with the grip? Or is it some other witchcraft that we should learn about
Last edited by Pivot on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Pivot wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:35 am What is PVT based on? If not mechanical diff-lock, perhaps electronically controlled hydraulic diff lock of the slowest moving wheel? Or an old fashion, application of brakes to the spinning wheel and therefore transferring the power to the wheel with the grip? Or is it some other witchcraft that we should learn about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lifted from Porsche website. Although describing it on the GT3, it's the same principle on all models:

PTV Plus has been specially adapted to the new 911 GT3 RS. In conjunction with PDK, fitted as standard, the system operates with an electronically regulated and fully variable rear differential lock.
Numerous driving parameter inputs are the basis for the system’s active control of the differential lock. The results are greater traction, particularly at the limits of dynamic performance, increased lateral dynamics and a significant improvement in driving stability under the effects of load changes in corners and when the car changes lane. In addition, the system strategically brakes the right or left rear wheel. This means that, whenever the car enters a corner, brake pressure is applied to the inside rear wheel. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is distributed to the outside rear wheel, almost pulling the car into the corner. Turn-in capability is improved, agility is increased.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks Nick,
So it is both, electronically controlled diff lock AND applying brakes on the inside wheel.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:09 am
Pivot wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:35 am What is PVT based on? If not mechanical diff-lock, perhaps electronically controlled hydraulic diff lock of the slowest moving wheel? Or an old fashion, application of brakes to the spinning wheel and therefore transferring the power to the wheel with the grip? Or is it some other witchcraft that we should learn about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lifted from Porsche website. Although describing it on the GT3, it's the same principle on all models:

PTV Plus has been specially adapted to the new 911 GT3 RS. In conjunction with PDK, fitted as standard, the system operates with an electronically regulated and fully variable rear differential lock.
Numerous driving parameter inputs are the basis for the system’s active control of the differential lock. The results are greater traction, particularly at the limits of dynamic performance, increased lateral dynamics and a significant improvement in driving stability under the effects of load changes in corners and when the car changes lane. In addition, the system strategically brakes the right or left rear wheel. This means that, whenever the car enters a corner, brake pressure is applied to the inside rear wheel. Consequently, a greater amount of drive force is distributed to the outside rear wheel, almost pulling the car into the corner. Turn-in capability is improved, agility is increased.
Being picky. @Pivot asked about PTV, not PTV Plus. Although being really picky, he asked about "PVT" - dunno what that is :-)

PTV (without the plus) is available on other Porsches..
On the 718:
Variable drive torque distribution by intelligent braking of the rear wheels. Includes mechanically locking rear differential with asymmetrical locking (22% under traction, 27% on overrun). Improves agility and steering precision as well as traction and driving stability
As far as I can tell PTV is basically a fixed locking rear diff with variable braking to vector torque to the other side.
PTV+ is an electrically variable locking rear diff (so it can lock at different ratios). I suspect it's still using braking though until it gets the lock ratio right.

Generally, PTV is similar to ESC, except PTV is only good under throttle and ESC is good under braking and coasting... and server different primary needs.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Tx goron59, well spotted... I corrected my spelling