Macan S

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

goron59 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:01 pm
GMAN75 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:44 am
goron59 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:26 am

I actually think 21" on the Macan is bad for appearance. Unless you like big gaping holes within the wheel with very thin black strips around the outside, of course! 20" looks about right. 19" looks rural. 18" looks like a spare. IMO.

I have 21" and on a bright sunny day, with the sun low, I almost cringe at how vacant the wheel spaces look. :?
No such gaps on Turbo 21s. 21s are the best looking wheels outside of the spyders and even they have been upgraded to 21s for the facelift. If you put 18s on a Macan you should have the car removed from your possession frankly.
I have 21" Turbo Design wheels. Are they the same ones you're talking about?

The only good thing about mine is they got painted gloss black on the interior bits because that was part of the Turbo Exterior Pack. The bog standard ones look gappy an dirty :) You know I'm talking about the gaps within the wheels, right, not the gap outside the tyres? And even if that was the case, they all fill the wheel arches the same anyway.

The gapping problem would go away partially if you have bigger brakes, but the rear brakes, even on the Turbo, are tiny. It's almost embarrassing having them painted red!

Someone above said the 21" make the car look like an oversized hatchback, and OMG s/he was right! Looking at pics of my old Macan (on 20") and others on smaller wheels; they do indeed make the car look bigger.

Fortunately, you don't see the wheels when you're driving.... just just feel them when squeezing into multi-storey carparks :lol:
They're the ones! Come on!! They look great! I reckon the Sports Design ones look a bit iffy. I love the look of the spyders and wished they came in 21 for the non facelifted model. Btw...all wheels look ridiculous without the full colour crest! :lol: Controversial statements, I know...!

As to multi storey carparks, I feel your pain. That's not necessarily the wheel's fault though. That's more a width issue. All the other wheels do is simply allow you to hop onto the curbs more! Most carparks are actually just about there with width. Look...if my Mrs can back the Macan into a spot in our apartment building, pretty much anyone can deal with it! :lol:

nozydog

Post by nozydog »

On-Track wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 pm Don't write 18" wheels off totally. In my admittedly biased opinion they are ideal when paired with winter tyres. They give maximum sidewall height which help the tyres to perform better in low temperatures and/or very poor road conditions.
Absolutely... on most of our great British roads 21 rims will give a spine jarring ride (unless you fork out almost £2k for air suspension for a nice 'floaty' and most un-Porsche like ride!!)
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

GMAN75 wrote:... If you put 18s on a Macan you should have the car removed from your possession frankly.
Baa Ha Ha! Come and Get It!

Porsche would not release it with 18s if it didn’t work [emoji51]
I like the Spyder design but 18/19 is not available.

Rumour has it that 21’s are specifically designed for footballer wannabes [emoji12]
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Is sport exhaust option any good?

I enjoy the sound of 6-cyl engine, but I dislike the totally unnecessary backfire.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Pivot wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:15 pm Is sport exhaust option any good?

I enjoy the sound of 6-cyl engine, but I dislike the totally unnecessary backfire.
😱😱 “unecessary” ?? When is a good popping backfire not totally necessary....?😉😉😂😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

nozydog wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:12 pm
On-Track wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 pm Don't write 18" wheels off totally. In my admittedly biased opinion they are ideal when paired with winter tyres. They give maximum sidewall height which help the tyres to perform better in low temperatures and/or very poor road conditions.
(unless you fork out almost £2k for air suspension for a nice 'floaty' and most un-Porsche like ride!!)
Have you driven an air suspension Macan? I don't agree that it gives a 'most un-Porsche like ride' and I'm sure Porsche wouldn't either!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

I had air on my GTS and the ride was sublime. Sporty when needed, comfortable when needed. If I wanted an SUV again it would be one of the first things I ticked on the spec sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

So do I.... but interestingly, both CAR & Autocar say the new 4 cylinder engine sounds better than the six!!! :o
nozydog

Post by nozydog »

VanB wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:09 pm I had air on my GTS and the ride was sublime. Sporty when needed, comfortable when needed. If I wanted an SUV again it would be one of the first things I ticked on the spec sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess I don’t buy a Porsche for a comfortable ride... I love the firmness of a sports chassis... the softer things get the less road feel and putting air between the chassis and the wheels kinda seems wrong to me!
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

nozydog wrote:

So do I.... but interestingly, both CAR & Autocar say the new 4 cylinder engine sounds better than the six!!! :o
That is odd... although, some journos are backfire enthusiasts... at least those I met years ago... so they might be looking for different things. I will take new 2.0 for a drive and check it out.