Fuel for my new Macan 2.0 Petrol

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
robbie

Post by robbie »

Hi all, A newby here, just taken delivery of a new 2019 Macan Petrol, reading the online handbook it recommends you use at least 98 RON (Super unleaded) but it also states 95 RON (Unleaded) can be used as an alternative. My local Porsche dealership happens to be close to a supermarket and they have handed over the car with a full tank of unleaded (95RON) fuel. Any thoughts please?? Do most Petrol Macan owners use standard '95' unleaded I wonder?
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018

goron59

Post by goron59 »

Hello:)

A few threads/arguments on this here already, but my $0.02: I have a 2016 Turbo and the manual recommends 98RON, but will work with 95 with some limited performance and reliability (paraphrasing a bit). Personally, I tend to use Shell 98 V-Power, not just because of 98RON but because of the additives/cleaners and general quality control around Shell garages vs the somewhat (and documented) sloppy quality control around supermarket 95. I'm not a high mileage person, so a few extra quid spent for a potentially better running engine seems perfectly ok.

However, If I had the 2.0I4 engine that you have, I'd prob stick with 95RON most of the time. Your engine was originally designed for that kind of fuel (it was designed for a very wide range of cars) so unless Porsche ECU has deliberately broken things, it should be absolutely fine with 95.

Caveat: I haven't read the manual for the 2019 car, so this could be bollox :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
VanB

Post by VanB »

There are loads of posts about this and I think the general consensus is use 98 RON as that is what is recommended. Engine management will adjust the timing to cope with 95 RON and cause no harm but you will likely not get the best out of the engine. Personally I tend to use Shell V-Power wherever possible but don’t fret if I have to fill up with Sainsbury’s Super Unleaded
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome

Your dealership are idiots.

You spend £50k+ on a car and they screw you out of a few quid by putting fuel in that Porsche does not recommend.

Just take it easy on the throttle until you get the low fuel level warning then fill up with 98.

If you have to use 95 in the future once the engine is run in then be careful not to put the engine under heavy load.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

98 in mine (well, 97 actually as my local station is an Esso) and I have ocasionally used Tesco 99 (😱) with no ill effects.
As above, 95 is fine to use but the computer wizardry will alter the ign timing settings accordingly and the performance will be (slightly) worse and/or consumption (slightly) higher
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

I used diesel in my Macan didn't do it any harm :twisted:

I've seen some people say put the good stuff in every 3'rd tank, for the cleaning properties that goron speaks of, and if you are not hooning it everywhere the engine will make the proper compensations with no noticeable difference in everyday operation. Maybe if you are keeping it for 100km then perhaps it is more important as you may need the intake valves cleaned on the DI engine, apparently :geek: .
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I always try to fill with the recommended "correct fuel". It should run better and will possibly get slightly better MPG.

I'll bet most dealers fill with the cheapest fuel available.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:47 pm

You spend £50k+ on a car and they screw you out of a few quid by putting fuel in that Porsche does not recommend.
Not idiots. Just tight and keen to maximise profit margins. So a touch hypocritical maybe, but not necessarily idiots. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

Ferdie the problem with asking a question like that on the forum is that you will get so many different answers because everyone has an opinion. 🤔

The best source of information on what fuel to use is the drivers manual from Porsche, below is an extract from the current manual for the new 2019 Porsche Macan (it's identical to the section in my 911's manual by the way), the engine management unit will adjust the ignition timing to prevent detonation according to the grade of fuel and can work with the alternative 95 if the recommended fuel 98 is not available. You can use full throttle with 95, the caution is for when you go lower than 95.

Unsuitable fuels may damage the engine as well as the fuel and exhaust system.
Only use fuel according to the specification below.
Do not use fuels containing methanol.

The engine is optimally designed for unleaded fuels without metal-containing additives.
Recommended fuel Alternative fuel
at least 98 RON / 88 MON at least 95 RON / 85 MON

The engine is suitable for operation with fuel with an ethanol content of up to 10 %. Use of fuels containing ethanol can lead to increased fuel consumption.

If the recommended fuel is not available, unleaded fuels without metallic additives with octane numbers of 91 RON/82.5 MON can be used in an emergency. However, this could reduce performance and increase fuel consumption.
Use unleaded fuels without metallic additives with octane numbers of at least 91 RON/82.5 MON.
Do not drive at full throttle if you are using unleaded fuel with octane numbers of 91 RON/82.5 MON.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:00 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:47 pm

Not idiots. Just tight and keen to maximise profit margins. So a touch hypocritical maybe, but not necessarily idiots. ;)
..and simply using Porsche's own recommended alternative (as per adrian991 above)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465