Hello Porsche fans!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yes Semerka, I can see how privacy glass might help the dog, all for that!

Actually, I was pleased that privacy glass was available just for the rear window on the 911. It’s not too dark but filters strong sunlight a bit and takes the sting out of the brightest headlights behind.
[/quote]
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Welcome to this great forum.

Love the story and great spec to start. Enjoy playing with the various options. Plenty there to keep most happy. 😊

Whilst on the privacy glass I picked it and have done on my other cars mainly because of the kids. Limits the bright sunshine (not that we have much currently).
Depending on your colour choices will depend on how it will look. Enjoy the ride 👍
Mine in Silver.

79A86EEC-EBE1-4EDE-8909-0EB6EC7AEB85.jpeg

GTS 😀
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

What a friendly bunch of people I've stumbled across! :)

I'm going to have a word with my dealer and see what they can do and how much it would cost. After mulling it over, it seems so stupid to go up to 20" wheels (and therefore more expensive tyres) just because they are black. If I did have to have the silver ones, I still wouldn't get silver window trims, just don't like them. When I did an S configuration I was annoyed because I'd have to pay extra to make them black again! :o

As for Power+ hmmm I'm glad you other ladies are managing ok, I've never had a problem before :lol: I assume that the car has just as good power steering as most other SUV's and mine (ahem Sportage with 19" wheels, DON'T SHOOT ME!) hasn't been a problem.

Not really interested in the privacy glass as for some reason, considering I love the darker looking vehicle, I don't like the way they look.

Thanks for all your ideas, they really make me think about what I'm planning. I love the idea of not locking the options down till after the Silverstone visit, that makes so much sense.

Sal
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
steve w

Post by steve w »

Mrs Macan
Wait for the 3L Macan ,I’ve had two a SD and a GTS and the GTS was brilliant ,the 2L is basically the same motor that’s in my wife’s VW Golf GTI and imo is the weak spot in the Macan variants that will probably depreciate the most,the Macan weighs around 2 Ton a lot for a 2L motor to hump about ,people seem to be buying these because they are the first to be offered for sale,wait a little longer and put an order in for a 3L S you won’t be disappointed by the wait.
SteveW
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Got any pics of the Sportage? :-)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Re a visit to the PEC

Don't use it as a means to spec a car. You can do this via dealers.

Go after you have the car so you can enhance the experience of your own car a few months after taking ownership.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I used the PEC to partly spec my Turbo since the combi I wanted was not available elsewhere.

So use it to confirm what you intend to include but the Instructors at the PEC are far more knowledgable about what matters than the SEs at an OPC.

PS+ is a software only item that will cost more to retrofit.

If you do not intend to include it please do not rely on what others say, test drive a Macan without it to see it it is OK for you either with it our without.

I am pretty confident that any Macan you have test driven so far will include PS+.

I would not specify a Macan without it, why heave the steering around when you can do it with one finger with PS+.

PS+ only works at low parking speeds and it progressively reduces its assist until it is zero at normal traffic speeds. So if anyone only drives into and out of parking spaces without having to use full lock PS+ is not really necessary.

Spec what is right for your use, but consider all options.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Semerka wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:50 pm Well, I do find the privacy glass practical, even if it’s not aesthetically pleasing. I often take the parcel shelf out when the dog is in the boot and without that and the privacy glass it’s hard to hide stuff once you park up and go places.
It also gives the dog some shade. 🤓
Same here. Dog in the boot and bags on the back seat. Very happy to have privacy glass. I even added noise and heat insulating glass for the same reason.
adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

Mrs Macan, you are going to get so many different opinions about what is right and wrong and unfortunately very few are backed up by real facts, all the negative opinions about the 2L will be from owners of the 3L current models (SD, S, GTS, Turbo) as the 2L is so new not many will have driven it yet and a perception that’s based on “it must be worse because it’s a smaller engine”

For example stating the 2L is the weak spot in the range by one OP is probably based on the power and torque compared to the 3L as I doubt it’s based on driving the new car. It’s true that it is a derivative of the Golf GTi engine with lower power output but it’s been tuned to deliver high Torque at low revs, just read the various road tests and see what they say, in particular Top Gear. Also the same OP referred to the car being around 2 tons so a lot of weight for a 2L to move around which would be true but the car weighs 1770kg which is a lot less than 2 tons and its lighter by 70kg than the new 3L and 100kg lighter than the old 3L model. As for depreciation, given the emphasis on CO2 emissions reduction, it may well be that in 3 years time the 2L may actually have a higher residual as a percentage of cost than the 3L but that’s crystal ball gazing and nobody can be sure either way other than they will both definitely depreciate. You only have to see what’s happened to Diesel residuals, which was not predicted when Macan was launched in 2014.

You mentioned that you will mainly drive the car in town so this implies short journeys, if you want better overtaking performance on the occasional longer drives and are prepared for an average 20 mpg with a range of around 300 miles between fill ups than go ahead with the 3L. Also be aware that both these engines now have particulate filters so on short journeys never reaching full operating temperature will cause issues later on. My experience of my new 2L is that it reaches operating temperature after just 1.5 miles compared to 8 on my previous GTS. The oil temperature takes longer but the difference is proportionately the same as the coolant temperature for the two cars. However, the critical issue is that the engine is running hot after a very short distance and you need that to burn off the soot particles that will accumulate in the PPF so hence why I believe the 2L is better suited for short distance urban driving.

On the road the 2L Macan delivers great performance at road legal speeds, it needs to be revved a bit higher compared to my GTS if I really want to accelerate very quickly but I find that the handling is actually more relaxing than the heavier 3L car as it takes less braking effort to slow it down so I don’t find myself hurtling into bends requiring a lot of heavy braking to shed speed without experiencing understeer.

I write this from the experience of 6 years and a total of 80k miles of Porsche ownership with 600 miles in my new 2019 Macan 2L which recently replaced my Macan GTS after 3 years and 22K miles, the latter was great fun to drive but a pain when it came to short journeys with fuel consumption around 20 mpg which translated to around 300 miles between refuelling. My 2019 Macan after one month has done over 600 miles and feels far more balanced, yes its down on power and torque but it really is not an issue on our UK roads and now with predominately short urban journeys, it’s achieving 28 mpg on 20 inch winter tyres and that’s calculated between fill ups, not by the trip computer so over 450 miles range (75L tank) is easily achievable. If I want more performance, I also have a 911 C4 GTS to drive and I use that for continental and UK touring trips, the Macan is the go everywhere general purpose car.

My advice is go and drive one for an extended test drive over a couple of days before you make a decision, you may not like it in which case wait for the 3L.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

^^ should be pinned.
Especially interesting viz the gas particulate filter.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR