My first Porsche

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
slysheep

Post by slysheep »

Hi folks,

First of all. Congrats on such a helpful and welcoming forum.

I'm a dedicated BMW follow having had several 3 series over the last 20 years. However they just don't do it for me anymore (feel their design team have lost their way). So, I did it, and put my deposit down on a new Macan S and am now cheerfully wasting my time playing with the Porsche Configurator. Lord knows how I'm going to survive the next few months wait.

I've arrived at what I think is a reasonable spec, however the small part of me that is sensible is telling me to drop a few items:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PKC8Z5U6

Jet Black Metallic
Panoramic roof system
Privacy glass
Roof rails in aluminium, painted in black
Sideblades painted in exterior colour
Side window trims in black (high-gloss)
Air suspension with PASM
75-litre fuel tank
21-Inch Sport Classic Wheels Painted in Black
18-Inch collapsible spare wheel
LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
Tinted LED taillights including light strip
Automatically dimming mirrors
ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera and Surround View
Adaptive cruise control
14-way electric seats (front) with memory package
Seat heating (front)
Heated steering wheel
Comfort lighting package
BOSE® Surround Sound System

The car will be doing mostly country lanes and then once a week a good motorway run. Plus I live on a farm with a nice pot-holey track, which I've being doing it in a 330d MSport for the last 5 years. Wife knows I'm coming home from the awful scrapping noises I make every time the car grounds. :roll:

1) Am I missing much by not having the sport chrono package? Besides I think the little dial in the dash looks a bit weird.
2) How much of a difference does air suspension make over PASM? Especially with the 21" wheels.
3) How much difference does the PDLS Plus make now that Macan's come with LED lights as standard?
4) Does anyone have any pictures of a Macan in Volcano Grey with black Sport Classic wheels? My default setting for car colour is black, but am looking for an excuse to break out of it.

Thanks in advance for any sage advice you have. It's just so difficult trying to nail down a spec from what can be seen at dealers and the configurator.
My teachers always said I would amount to nothing.
...Thus far I've been unable to prove them wrong.

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Welcome Slysheep. I'm not going to comment on spec. Some of my esteemed fellow forum members will. I just wanted to comment on your signature. In a word, sweet! Enjoy your new Macan when it arrives
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Welcome slysheep.

That's a big spec! Taking your questions:
1. You won't miss the sport chrono package. Most people use it once or never, especially on the Macan.
2. Not a great deal, but does add some comfort particularly with the larger wheels and in your case over rough roads. Some find it can feel a little 'floaty' on normal mode. It stiffens up just nicely in sport mode. Mine's in sport and lowered pretty much all the time.
3. I don't have LEDs so can't comment from personal experience. Some say that the auto dipping is too slow though.
4. You've gone for the black stealth look. I feel that privacy glass makes the car look like a van, particularly in the dark colours. But that's a personal view, others love it.

Hope that helps. Others will wade in with different 'help' I'm sure!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Beautiful setup SlySheep

If you drive over severe potholes, you might want to consider smaller alloys with more rubber to protect the rims.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

What you have so far is the same as the spec that I have except that I have the SC and 20” wheels.

Not that I use it but I do have a different engine.

In reality you probably will not miss it unless you intend to track the car.

Go with Pivot’s siggestion and get smaller diameter wheels.

Air has a function to raise the car up in off road mode so that is a great inclusion, it will also provide a ride quality far superior to your Beamers and in sport modes it will handle far, far better that any other SUV, Air includes PASM and it does give a better ride and keeps the car level than a steel and PASM Macan.

Depending upon where you live you may wish to consider a set of winter wheels and tyres to complement the standard summer tyres.

LEDs will light up the next county and PDLS will be a great benefit on your dark country roads where the side view will come into action when you drive up to a junction.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

A warm welcome slysheep

Your "Price for Equipment" is £ 14,163.00. That's 30% of the base car and that you will not get back in trade-in value. I note that you have had your 330d for 5 years, so perhaps that's your intention with the Macan too and so depreciation not a concern?

As others have suggested. perhaps smaller alloy wheels with their higher aspect ratio [sidewall] tyres would be better for their ride quality and rim flange protection for your usage on rural lanes. I chose 19" and PASM for this reason and have no regrets. Also perhaps choose a wheel design that is easier to clean! but hey, if you're going all black you'll be washing it daily anyway. :lol:

If you want to be more economic on your spec, then perhaps loose these items:

LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus) - the standard LEDs will be fine
Tinted LED taillights including light strip - check out how the standard one looks on a black car v, this "tinted" one
Automatically dimming mirrors - dazzle is not a problem on this high riding SUV especially with the privacy glass
ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera and Surround View - just go for the camera unless you park in some really tight spots
Adaptive cruise control - standard cruise is fine especially as you're not a daily M-way driver

i would add the" speed limit recognition" as a low cost extra - the quiet and comfortable Macan is deceptively fast. :evil:

Have you tried the standard equipment for each of these to assess if these extras are essential for your use:
Heated steering wheel
Comfort lighting package
BOSE® Surround Sound System

Still as an affluent sheep farmer :?: none of this extra cost may matter! ;) and its £14k well spent. Enjoy as the Macan will be a motoring revelation :D
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome slysheep,
Decent spec and good advise already provided, if you do decide on Volcano you will find it is actually easier to keep and look cleaner than Met Black, I've had both.
Stick with the heated steering wheel it's pure luxury on a cold morning.
Based on your pot holed approach road suggest dropping a size, 20" turbo gloss black finish complements both colours.
Add exhaust pipes in black.
Others I would drop if considering budget, surround view, PDLS Plus. Bose, unless it's more than radio your playing.
If no budget restriction, we'll fill your boots ( it ain't sheep muck :lol: )

Good luck with your final configuration whatever the outcome you will enjoy the car
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:06 am Welcome slysheep.

That's a big spec! Taking your questions:
1. You won't miss the sport chrono package. Most people use it once or never, especially on the Macan.
2. Not a great deal, but does add some comfort particularly with the larger wheels and in your case over rough roads. Some find it can feel a little 'floaty' on normal mode. It stiffens up just nicely in sport mode. Mine's in sport and lowered pretty much all the time.
3. I don't have LEDs so can't comment from personal experience. Some say that the auto dipping is too slow though.
4. You've gone for the black stealth look. I feel that privacy glass makes the car look like a van, particularly in the dark colours. But that's a personal view, others love it.

Hope that helps. Others will wade in with different 'help' I'm sure!
Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

I’d mostly agree with the above.

1. You wont miss SC. I have it on my turbo and used it once.
2. I have air with 21inch and wouldnt spec air again. It is floaty in normal, and it fidgets all the time on bad roads. It tends to creep up in hight too, changing vehicle dynamics. Plus, you can hear the compressors working. Solution for the floaty feeling is to put it in low, and then it drives superb, but as you have rough roads to think of, you’d have to drive in normal height. So I would advise you just to take pasm. And maybe 20inch for the higher sidewall, though i have both 20 and 21 inch wheelset, and difference in ride comfort is minimal. Prefer the look of the 21s, but yes 20inch will give the wheels more protection.
3. I have the dymanic LEDs and they are great. Auto high beam is too slow on highway, but the swivelling feature in turns, the side lighting coming on at junctions and the longer light beam on the highway (even without auto high beam on, it streches the beam on motorways) is defiantely worth it. Safety feature for sure and comfortable.
4. Privacy glass is personnal preference, I have it and love it, but thats a matter taste and/or practicality.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I’d mostly agree withat too! Good points well made I’d say.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Andy_rs600

Post by Andy_rs600 »

The only thing I'd add to the above is that if you plan on towing anything or carrying any heavy loads the air suspension becomes more useful. I also live in a very rural area with some seriously bad roads. My SD is on 18" wheels with air for the exact reason that it gives the best off-road/poor road performance but you do notice that at speed it feels significantly less controlled than a slightly larger wheel. The air-suspension in sport low seems (based on my test drives) to be about as stiff as the steels springs.
2018 SD, Saphire, Air, PTV, LED PDSL+,
East Midlands Immediate Care Scheme http://emics.org.uk/