My first Porsche

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
slysheep

Post by slysheep »

Thanks all for some great points of view. I'm a member of so many different forums that it's nice to see such a helpful bunch, it certainly encourages one to take part.

The spec is certainly more than I think is comfortable, so it's helpful to know what I can really live without.

1. Think it mostly confirms what I thought about SC. Just saw it optioned on quite a few used cars. The only track it'll be on has the word farm in front of it. :lol:
2. I will give some extra though to the air suspension. It is a temptation for those country roads. That being said it is an extra grand.
3. Good point about the wheels. The 21's are purely about the look. Smaller probably would make sense, especially when it comes to tyre costs. Does anyone have any pics of the the 20" Turbo wheels? I've yet to seen any in the metal.
4. So the PDLS does make much difference to the normal brightness, but does for cornering and junctions. It's difficult to picture this as I've never been in a car that had it. I must admit the auto high beam being slow is putting me off.
5. With regard to the comfort lighting package - does this give puddle lights? The risk of stepping in sh1t in the dark is a real one! :shock:
My teachers always said I would amount to nothing.
...Thus far I've been unable to prove them wrong.

Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

“5. With regard to the comfort lighting package - does this give puddle lights? The risk of stepping in sh1t in the dark is a real one! :shock:

😂😂😂. Yes it does. Here’s some pics of the puddle lights.

25B21AFB-8026-46A3-9AC0-AF38FA618CB0.jpeg

05A3D904-C91C-48D7-8E40-F368FED0A4A8.jpeg

VanB

Post by VanB »

slysheep wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:10 pm Thanks all for some great points of view. I'm a member of so many different forums that it's nice to see such a helpful bunch, it certainly encourages one to take part.

The spec is certainly more than I think is comfortable, so it's helpful to know what I can really live without.

1. Think it mostly confirms what I thought about SC. Just saw it optioned on quite a few used cars. The only track it'll be on has the word farm in front of it. :lol:
2. I will give some extra though to the air suspension. It is a temptation for those country roads. That being said it is an extra grand.
3. Good point about the wheels. The 21's are purely about the look. Smaller probably would make sense, especially when it comes to tyre costs. Does anyone have any pics of the the 20" Turbo wheels? I've yet to seen any in the metal.
4. So the PDLS does make much difference to the normal brightness, but does for cornering and junctions. It's difficult to picture this as I've never been in a car that had it. I must admit the auto high beam being slow is putting me off.
5. With regard to the comfort lighting package - does this give puddle lights? The risk of stepping in sh1t in the dark is a real one! :shock:
For what it's worth here are my thoughts having had a well-specced GTS.

SC - forget it
LED lights with PDLS+ - if you live in the country and drive country lanes in the dark then it is a worthwhile option. Yes, auto high beam is slow but the cornering lights and junction lighting you won't want to live without once you've had it for a while.
Air suspension is supremely comfortable and very good at absorbing crap road surfaces. I used to drive mine in sport and in low most of the time but the option to raise the ride height and the comfort it provides is sublime. If I ordered another Macan I would definitely have it again.
Light design pack - very worthwhile for minimal cost
ACC - don't bother unless doing lots of tiresome motorway miles in traffic.
Surround view - don't bother unless you really have no spacial awareness or are going to be parking in a lot of tight spaces, reversing camera is more than sufficient for most people.
Wheels - I would stick to max 20" for your usage and 19" may even be better yet with higher sidewalls.

I can't remember the rest of your original spec but the above are my current observations. The choice is, of course, yours and good luck with whatever you end up choosing
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I didn't go for many cosmetic options but would say the ACC is great, I use it all the time.

The LEDs are useful on windy roads, you can see them working all the time in fog making the light that bit more directional.

The auto dip does err on the side of safety so I just blip the lights up if it appears to think a bank is a car.

As others have said, biggest wheels possible for off road or potholes.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
VanB

Post by VanB »

Tim92gts wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:59 pm As others have said, biggest wheels possible for off road or potholes.
That seems to be against general consensus unless you mean biggest sidewalls?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, slysheep! :)

You asked for pics of a Volcano Macan with Sport Classics in black. I know it’s pre-facelift, in the US and a Turbo, but it may help a little... ;)

EB5EB19E-CA27-4932-80F2-1EADB6007ED3.jpeg

40E5F790-843C-4463-A665-7BF519365087.jpeg

81D24095-B9F6-492E-9861-36E1F738C655.jpeg

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
slysheep

Post by slysheep »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:45 pm Welcome, slysheep! :)

You asked for pics of a Volcano Macan with Sport Classics in black. I know it’s pre-facelift, in the US and a Turbo, but it may help a little... ;)
Thanks Wg Cdr. That's a handsome looking car.
Loving the Sport Classic look, maybe I just need to learn to drive slower on my track...
My teachers always said I would amount to nothing.
...Thus far I've been unable to prove them wrong.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ You're very welcome. Sport Classics look great and are what I chose on my Rhodium Silver Macan. I love the silver rim around the edge too. Being gloss black, they do show the dust quite quickly, but are a handsome wheel nonetheless! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Welcome to the forum, Slysheep! :)

Just a note about the PDLS Plus. I too agree that they are definitely worth it for country lane driving, just for the cornering lights alone.
The auto-dim of the main beam function can be switched off, you don't have to put up with it if you don't like it.

If you like a dark theme for your car, then choose the PDLS Plus in Black, though more expensive it does make the front look much meaner, especially if all "silver" is eliminated. :lol:

Otherwise agree with the others on dropping the SC from your spec and adopting smaller wheels for those pot holes. 20" is a good compromise. :D

For a smaller steering wheel you could choose the heated GT steering wheel.

detail_M2PJ_l_0.jpg

Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Do not worty about the auto dipping it can be turned off.

PDLS+ works great and as I have already stated LEDs are great in fact they are as superior to Xenons as Xenons are to Halogens.

I had PASM on my first Macan and Air on my current Macan, I would only specify Air again, nothing else will do. Mine does not float, it does not creep, the ride quality is much better than PASM only and for unmade tracks the height adjustment works very well. As it happens for street and motorway use putting the Air in Low mode does give a better ride and handling. Take out another Macan with Air suspension and try it for yourself.

As for wheels, please ignore fancy wheels with spokes that are close together, these are a pain to clean, for ease of cleaning Classics as WingCo suggests are the best, they do look good though. I have Spyders and can now easily spend 15 minutes cleaning each wheel they are such a pain to look after, yes they look good, just a pain to clean.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags