New member, considering 2015 Macan Turbo

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
szc001

Post by szc001 »

Hello all! This looks like a great forum.

I am currently considering a purchase of a used Porsche Macan Turbo, 2015 model with first registration in 2016.

The car has around 60k km on it, but seems in pretty good condition; as well as it comes as Porsche Approved from the dealer with a 1 year full warranty.

What worries me is that today I did a simple test... I turned on the engine and let her idle for around 5 minutes. Coolant temperature went up to around 55C, which is fine, but what concerned me is that after turning off the engine and opening the coolant reservoir, there was some very slight pressure release.

I am not sure if this is normal for a Macan, as I have never had a Porsche before, yet I wonder if this could be an indication of gaskets needing replacement (which I would expect Porsche to fix before giving me the car).

Any thoughts? Am I just worrying for nothing?

...and once again, hello to all :)

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome. :D :D :D

It is a great forum. :oops:

I'm not an expert, but I would expect pressure when opening the coolant reservoir. Probably not recommended to open when the engine is warm.
Paul

Post by Paul »

In a sealed coolant system you will always get a build up of pressure as the temp goes up. Perfectly normal (if a little dangerous! Don’t do it when the car is fully warm or you’ll get a boiling coolant shower)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I agree with Paul and Mac's thoughts.

Anyhow its covered by the warranty. If you're buying from an OPC then it should get a 111 point check, any rectifications needed and a 2 year Porsche warranty.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
szc001

Post by szc001 »

Thank you so much guys. I was a bit concerned about it since the car was not warm.. just idled for 5 minutes, and as you probably all know, too much pressure build up is generally a sign of bad things to come.

But as SAC1 correctly said, it is covered by warranty after all (albeit only 1 year)... so I guess I'll just take it for a nice compression test once I get the keys, and we'll see.

Thank you all for your prompt reply, really appreciate it... and really excited to get my first Porsche!!