New Porsche Macan SD owner

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

Hello everyone

I recently stumbled across this forum, it’s great :)

I’ve just bought my first ever Porsche. I opted for the Macan SD 3.0, jet black metallic and I’m so glad I did. Beautiful car to drive. It’s a 65 plate so a few years old now, but it certainly feels new to me lol.

Having been driving it for a month now, I’m getting an idea as to what it feels like to be in the Porsche Club - from other people’s reactions and behaviours, and right down to every shop you go into assuming you’ll pay over the odds for something as you’ve got deep pockets haha :)

Now please don’t laugh about this question, but other than asking the dealership I purchased my Porsche from, how do I double check if I have PASM? It doesn’t say much on my paperwork regarding the spec - not sure if it’s because I didn’t buy it directly from an OPC... I’ve been reading a lot about PASM on the forum but I’m unsure if it’s on my model.

Is it standard on 2016 models? If I have Sport mode and Off Road mode available, do I have PASM?

Thanks for reading

FreddyB
FreddyB

“Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans..” John Lennon

Macan SD 3.0L TDV6, Jet Black, bought 22/12/18

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Basically, if you have a little shock absorber button on your console, I think below the sport button, that allows you to adjust the suspension, you have PASM. If not, it's a nope!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

A warm welcome to you.

Here you go....

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/201 ... -PASM-mode
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

Hi GMAN75, I appreciate the response. The only button beneath my Sport Mode button is the Porsche Stability Management button, so alas, no PASM for me.

Hi SAC1, thanks for the link. Yes my brain finally clicked into gear and I had a look at my manual about 20mins ago haha. No PASM in my model.

Is it worth investing in retrofit Air Suspension? Sounds like many people on this forum prefer it over the standard suspension.. Quite a few potholes laying in wait for us in London. May be worth a test drive with it, I didn’t really think about suspension before my purchase. Maybe if I was buying from new I would’ve given everything much more thought - not to mention good advice (and maybe hard sell?) from the Porsche Centre lol.
FreddyB

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

If you love your SD as it is then do not bother about PASM, PASM was not standard in the 2.0, S & SD variants it was an extra.

Before Paul and the other come in suggesting that I the PASMmeister have been taken over by unknown evil forces, yep it is the real me saying that.

Depending upon wheel size but assuming 20/21” the ride you feel should be similar to a Beamer on flat run flats.

Look at it that Macan number 2 will be equipted with your must have extras that you will learn about as you develop your spec.

Retrofit even if possible which it is not would have a horrendous cost.

For info the Tequipment site has all the goodies, do sit down before you look at some of the prices like £2600 for a sports exhaust system.

http://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag ... ory&ka=All

PS
If you go to any Official Porsche Centre they can call your cars spec up using the VIN number and print it out so you then will know what actual extras were fitted to your car.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

FreddyB123 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:03 am Hi GMAN75, I appreciate the response. The only button beneath my Sport Mode button is the Porsche Stability Management button, so alas, no PASM for me.

Hi SAC1, thanks for the link. Yes my brain finally clicked into gear and I had a look at my manual about 20mins ago haha. No PASM in my model.

Is it worth investing in retrofit Air Suspension? Sounds like many people on this forum prefer it over the standard suspension.. Quite a few potholes laying in wait for us in London. May be worth a test drive with it, I didn’t really think about suspension before my purchase. Maybe if I was buying from new I would’ve given everything much more thought - not to mention good advice (and maybe hard sell?) from the Porsche Centre lol.
Like Col said, retrofitting air suspension isn't possible. It's a lot more than refitting your struts and springs! Retrofits are usually cosmetic bits like sports exhaust. If you're after a certain spec, hunt around and swap out. It'll be the only way.
FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

Hi Col Lamb, thanks for your response and thanks everyone for the warm welcomes.

Ahh I see, I didn’t know that you couldn’t retrofit PASM. But like you say, even if you could I’m sure it would cost an arm and a leg.

Yes I’m very happy with my car and how it drives. It’s a million miles away from the last car I owned, which was a Ford Focus, so it's a serious upgrade for me!

Also since I bought my Macan I’ve found myself looking at spec, extras etc mainly through sheer enthusiasm for the car... I’m realising there’s so much more you can add to possibly enhance the experience of driving a luxury car like this. I’ve not really had that feeling before, and I’m guessing you’re not surprised now you know what my previous car was lol. I know it all comes at a cost, so I’m still aiming to be realistic and stay within a reasonable budget.

You’re definitely correct in saying that I’ll know more when I get onto my 2nd Macan - I haven’t stopped reading! I’ll definitely apply the new knowledge in the future. And thanks for the heads up about going to my OPC quoting the VIN number for the spec. I know most of it but there are a few things I’m not sure about.

I’m on 19” Michelin’s at the moment and the ride feels good. Are 20/21”s worth the investment in terms of comfort/drive feel?
FreddyB

FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

Thanks GMAN75, I’m fine with the car for now and will probably keep it for a few years, but will definitely be well armed with knowledge when it comes to getting my next Macan.
FreddyB

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

FreddyB123 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 am I’m on 19” Michelin’s at the moment and the ride feels good. Are 20/21”s worth the investment in terms of comfort/drive feel?
Welcome Freddy!

Certainly not worth shelling out £ks to change to larger wheels. The ride will be firmer with more 'thump' over potholes and more road noise. Then there is the much greater risk of wheel and tyre damage. In real world driving on public roads there is no advantage in handling or roadholding. Note that Porsche supply the Turbo as standard on 19" rims. Most people specify larger wheels when spec'ing a new car for cosmetic reasons only, 'bling' in other words.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Spud

Post by Spud »

FreddyB123 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:02 am Thanks GMAN75, I’m fine with the car for now and will probably keep it for a few years, but will definitely be well armed with knowledge when it comes to getting my next Macan.
Hi FreddyB,owning a Porsche is a different mindset in my view, I had my first Porsche in 2014 (Macan), I played safe as I was always used to having everything on previous cars, Jags, as standard, I wouldn’t swap your wheels as I think they are probably right if you don’t have PASM, Over the last few years for various reasons I have had 4 Macan’s, the SD has great torque and imo is hard to beat, over this period on Macan 2 I went over the top with extras, not worth it in my view, enjoy the car it’s hard to beat for quality and engineering, if you ever get to the stage of ordering another my only advice is don’t pay above 10% of the base price on extras, hence the GTS for me
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1