New Porsche Macan SD owner

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:14 am
FreddyB123 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 am I’m on 19” Michelin’s at the moment and the ride feels good. Are 20/21”s worth the investment in terms of comfort/drive feel?
Welcome Freddy!

Certainly not worth shelling out £ks to change to larger wheels. The ride will be firmer with more 'thump' over potholes and more road noise. Then there is the much greater risk of wheel and tyre damage. In real world driving on public roads there is no advantage in handling or roadholding. Note that Porsche supply the Turbo as standard on 19" rims. Most people specify larger wheels when spec'ing a new car for cosmetic reasons only, 'bling' in other words.
Hi Nuclear Nick, thanks for the warm welcome and advice!

When I did some research on size 20” wheels and above before I bought the Macan, it seems that most websites were saying the same thing as yourself - plenty of extra road noise and firmer ride. Admittedly I was researching for a Range Rover Sport, which I almost purchased before I drove the Macan lol. So as Col Lamb mentioned 20/21s I was wondering how they were on a Macan. Sounds like the same then. Everyone prefers something different but I’m pretty happy with how mine feels right now, and they look great with the Macan design alloys. I’ll keep enjoying them then 👍
FreddyB

“Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans..” John Lennon

Macan SD 3.0L TDV6, Jet Black, bought 22/12/18

FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

Spud wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:20 am
FreddyB123 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:02 am Thanks GMAN75, I’m fine with the car for now and will probably keep it for a few years, but will definitely be well armed with knowledge when it comes to getting my next Macan.
Hi FreddyB,owning a Porsche is a different mindset in my view, I had my first Porsche in 2014 (Macan), I played safe as I was always used to having everything on previous cars, Jags, as standard, I wouldn’t swap your wheels as I think they are probably right if you don’t have PASM, Over the last few years for various reasons I have had 4 Macan’s, the SD has great torque and imo is hard to beat, over this period on Macan 2 I went over the top with extras, not worth it in my view, enjoy the car it’s hard to beat for quality and engineering, if you ever get to the stage of ordering another my only advice is don’t pay above 10% of the base price on extras, hence the GTS for me
Hi Spud, thanks for the welcome and great advice 👍 Think I will take a serious look at the Macan GTS for my next one.

By the way as this is my first diesel, I’m only just realising that there are two cetane types1 and 2, similar to petrol in terms of unleaded RON98 etc. Assuming anyone reading uses diesel 2, do you notice Diesel 2 making a real difference to performance? I fill up at my local Esso but was thinking to try Shell V pumps next time.
FreddyB

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

FreddyB123 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 am I’m on 19” Michelin’s at the moment and the ride feels good. Are 20/21”s worth the investment in terms of comfort/drive feel?
Welcome Freddy!

Certainly not worth shelling out £ks to change to larger wheels. The ride will be firmer with more 'thump' over potholes and more road noise. Then there is the much greater risk of wheel and tyre damage. In real world driving on public roads there is no advantage in handling or roadholding. Note that Porsche supply the Turbo as standard on 19" rims. Most people specify larger wheels when spec'ing a new car for cosmetic reasons only, 'bling' in other words.
Totally agree with Nick's comments.

I specified 19" for these very reasons and very happy with the ride quality and handling, albeit with PASM. I've had mine for 20 months now from new and no alloy wheel kerbing damage. Te slightly taller and more bulbous tyre sidewall protects them if you do rub a kerb. Added bonus....relatively cheaper to replace than the 20/21s.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

FreddyB123 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:51 am
FreddyB123 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:02 am Thanks GMAN75, I’m fine with the car for now and will probably keep it for a few years, but will definitely be well armed with knowledge when it comes to getting my next Macan.
Hi FreddyB,owning a Porsche is a different mindset in my view, I had my first Porsche in 2014 (Macan), I played safe as I was always used to having everything on previous cars, Jags, as standard, I wouldn’t swap your wheels as I think they are probably right if you don’t have PASM, Over the last few years for various reasons I have had 4 Macan’s, the SD has great torque and imo is hard to beat, over this period on Macan 2 I went over the top with extras, not worth it in my view, enjoy the car it’s hard to beat for quality and engineering, if you ever get to the stage of ordering another my only advice is don’t pay above 10% of the base price on extras, hence the GTS for me
Hi Spud, thanks for the welcome and great advice 👍 Think I will take a serious look at the Macan GTS for my next one.

By the way as this is my first diesel, I’m only just realising that there are two cetane types1 and 2, similar to petrol in terms of unleaded RON98 etc. Assuming anyone reading uses diesel 2, do you notice Diesel 2 making a real difference to performance? I fill up at my local Esso but was thinking to try Shell V pumps next time.
I am told BP ultimate is the highest cetane premium diesel and in the diesel cars I have owned I have found it smoothest and best mpg.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

As an aside, as you have chosen a diesel being city based, I would strongly advise looking at the threads on here surrounding how these cars like their legs stretched. If you're intending on short city based trips, not saying you are, you will enter a world of pain regarding the DPF. I noticed this is your first diesel. They behave much differently to petrol. Some of the posters on here are the best at explaining the difference in driving style you will need to know about.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The subject of what to include in a Macan has been an emotive subject over the years so much so that we do not include the term Must Have in our suggestions.

There are no Must Haves there are only Extras that enhance the driving and ownership experience.

Contrary to what some comments about the lack of PASM, do be careful as a non PASM Macan will not handle as well as a PASM equipted Macan on British roads. Push a non PASM Macan quickly through the corners on a country road and it will skip and scuttle over and undulations and this can result in a sideways drift, conventional springs cannot react to maintain the balance if the car. Conversely a PASM equipted Macan will take the same corners in its stride as the system will individually adjust each damper to maintain the balance of the car and hence maintain the grip.

The handling and ride quality is dependent upon tyre type, wheel size and suspension and an individuals perception of how good a Macan is is totally based upon where they are coming from in terms of prior cars.

I have driven a Macan like yours but with standard 8 way seats and did not like it at all, but previously I had been driving a Jaguar so for me the non PASM Macan did not ride well or handled well compared to the PASM and Air Suspension Macans that I had previously driven.

Whilst a Macan handles very well for an SUV it is not a Sports Car and this needs to be remembered when driving fast in the country.

Also as Gman suggests do read up on the DPF threads and ensure that your usage of your SD does not lead to issues.

Do look in the Orders section at the What To Specify thread which Evil put together from a concensus of Forum Members. That will give you a good heads up in what typical specs are, if there is such a thing but there are quite a few extras that are common.

The first line of my signature spec are my own Must Haves and these are fairly typical inclusions that you will find in a Macan.

Meanwhile until you get Macan 2 enjoy your SD.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 am
Welcome Freddy!

Totally agree with Nick's comments.

I specified 19" for these very reasons and very happy with the ride quality and handling, albeit with PASM. I've had mine for 20 months now from new and no alloy wheel kerbing damage. Te slightly taller and more bulbous tyre sidewall protects them if you do rub a kerb. Added bonus....relatively cheaper to replace than the 20/21s.
Cheers SAC1, sounds like I’ve got it perfectly fine as it is then. And the added bonus of saving a few quid to spend elsewhere is certainly useful - especially the way I’m going with little extras at the moment. The wife just doesn’t quite get it lol :)
FreddyB

FreddyB123

Post by FreddyB123 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 am The subject of what to include in a Macan has been an emotive subject over the years so much so that we do not include the term Must Have in our suggestions.

There are no Must Haves there are only Extras that enhance the driving and ownership experience.

Contrary to what some comments about the lack of PASM, do be careful as a non PASM Macan will not handle as well as a PASM equipted Macan on British roads. Push a non PASM Macan quickly through the corners on a country road and it will skip and scuttle over and undulations and this can result in a sideways drift, conventional springs cannot react to maintain the balance if the car. Conversely a PASM equipted Macan will take the same corners in its stride as the system will individually adjust each damper to maintain the balance of the car and hence maintain the grip.

The handling and ride quality is dependent upon tyre type, wheel size and suspension and an individuals perception of how good a Macan is is totally based upon where they are coming from in terms of prior cars.

I have driven a Macan like yours but with standard 8 way seats and did not like it at all, but previously I had been driving a Jaguar so for me the non PASM Macan did not ride well or handled well compared to the PASM and Air Suspension Macans that I had previously driven.

Whilst a Macan handles very well for an SUV it is not a Sports Car and this needs to be remembered when driving fast in the country.

Also as Gman suggests do read up on the DPF threads and ensure that your usage of your SD does not lead to issues.

Do look in the Orders section at the What To Specify thread which Evil put together from a concensus of Forum Members. That will give you a good heads up in what typical specs are, if there is such a thing but there are quite a few extras that are common.

The first line of my signature spec are my own Must Haves and these are fairly typical inclusions that you will find in a Macan.

Meanwhile until you get Macan 2 enjoy your SD.
Thanks Col Lamb, I appreciate your response and advice. I’ll definitely read the DPF threads and the spec thread by Evil, as I say I’m a complete newbie in these areas.

A friend of mine was saying a few weeks back that as it has a Diesel engine, it’s good practice to take the car for an extended run at least once a week, to help clear out the filter. Any thoughts on this? As I say I’ll read the threads and latch onto the great advice.
FreddyB

Ray G

Post by Ray G »

pmg wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:31 am

I am told BP ultimate is the highest cetane premium diesel and in the diesel cars I have owned I have found it smoothest and best mpg.
Agreed, with Shell V Power second best.

BTW Reverse is true for petrol with Shell V Power "best"
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Freddy and welcome to our friendly forum :)

Many congrats on your Macan.

As Nick says, main reason that buyers (including me!) go for bigger wheels (20” or 21”) are for the looks, also know by some as ‘bling’! ;)

I’d stick with the 19”s for now and savour your Porsche.

Plenty of time to plan the spec of your next one...! :twisted:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018