Macan Order - customs duty

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

Hi there. I am new to the forum. I placed an order for a Macan S yesterday and have now received a letter from my Porsche dealership advising that it is possible that after 29 March the vehicle price could be increased by 10% for the importation of the vehicle. Has anybody else had a similar letter?

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Alfie wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:20 pm Hi there. I am new to the forum. I placed an order for a Macan S yesterday and have now received a letter from my Porsche dealership advising that it is possible that after 29 March the vehicle price could be increased by 10% for the importation of the vehicle. Has anybody else had a similar letter?
Say hello to Brexit benefits 1.
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

Hi Alfie,

I placed my order this afternoon and the dealer told me that they had just been informed that if Brexit goes through with a no deal on Mar 29th then the price would increase by 10%. This is due to World Trade Organisation Tariffs that the UK would likely have to pay on cars when importing from the EU.

It will affect all dealers that import cars from the EU not just Porsche.
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
VanB

Post by VanB »

It will also affect all cars sold in Europe produced tin the UK so I very much doubt it will happen but, hey, strange times!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Sounds like they are already preparing for a no deal scenario and applying WTO rules. Any chance that your OPC SE is in the same bible circle as the May family 😳😖😉
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
johnd

Post by johnd »

I don't think anyone should be surprised - this is what was carefully explained during the referendum campaign and what the majority voted for. Wasn't it? :?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

johnd wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:59 pm I don't think anyone should be surprised - this is what was carefully explained during the referendum campaign and what the majority voted for. Wasn't it? :?
I was told by one particular cretin that they voted for Brexit to stop Chinese steel being dumped in Wales. You give people too much credit! :lol:
Guy

Post by Guy »

It'll just be like a return to 1992 when we paid Purchase Tax of 10% on new car purchases (in addition to VAT). When the Govt phased this out they replaced it with additional fuel duty.

Hence given that our Govt will be benefitting from the 10% applied to new car imports, they can afford to drop fuel duty again - simples ;)

Most other EU countries (other than Germany) have a new car purchase tax anyway.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Guy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:14 pm It'll just be like a return to 1992 when we paid Purchase Tax of 10% on new car purchases (in addition to VAT). When the Govt phased this out they replaced it with additional fuel duty.

Hence given that our Govt will be benefitting from the 10% applied to new car imports, they can afford to drop fuel duty again - simples ;)

Most other EU countries (other than Germany) have a new car purchase tax anyway.
I will be kind and say that's wishful thinking. A WTO, or hard Brexit, is forecasted to hit the the UK's GDP by 8-9% over the next year. The government will need every last penny.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The moral of the tale is simple.

Anyone considering a car made in mainland Europe would be best holding off Locking down the spec until such a time as the impact of Brexit is known.

I am sure a great deal on a JLR motor could be made that will totally benefit the buyer irrespective of qualty issues.

Me, I would cancel the order, a Macan is good but not good enough to throw away 10% of its costs.

If the OPC was prepared to give a 10% discount on the final invoiced value then that is another matter.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags