Macan Order - customs duty

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

I was shocked when I was told the price was fixed on deposit and the day after I put my order in I got an email saying 'sorry' it's not fixed and I made the decision then that if it goes up by 1p I will cancel.

Guy

Post by Guy »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:24 pm
I am sure a great deal on a JLR motor could be made that will totally benefit the buyer irrespective of qualty issues.
As long as it's not an iPace - made in Austria.

Having said that, I see that the iPace is already being discounted - I saw 6% being offered.
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

Thank you very much for your opinions. I think I will call the dealership tomorrow and cancel the order until the brexit situation is clarified.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

The reactions on here to a prospective price hike is why I don't understand the EU's attitude towards Brexit.

German car manufacturers are going to loose loads off sales, that on top of them already being in recession.

Yet they still want to give a us a bad deal.

Turkey's voting for Christmas comes to mind.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Macananon wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:09 pm The reactions on here to a prospective price hike is why I don't understand the EU's attitude towards Brexit.

German car manufacturers are going to loose loads off sales, that on top of them already being in recession.

It’s simply brinkmanship and, currently, we blinked first. Still a way to go yet I’m afraid 😧
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
happy days

Post by happy days »

Macananon wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:09 pm The reactions on here to a prospective price hike is why I don't understand the EU's attitude towards Brexit.

As will all of those vehicles manufactured in the UK that are sold in the EU. JLR, Nissan, Toyota, Honda - all the classic British marques... ( :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Nobody wins if WTO tariffs apply.
Macan S D
718 S
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

MrsMacan wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:45 pm Hi Alfie,

I placed my order this afternoon and the dealer told me that they had just been informed that if Brexit goes through with a no deal on Mar 29th then the price would increase by 10%. This is due to World Trade Organisation Tariffs that the UK would likely have to pay on cars when importing from the EU.

It will affect all dealers that import cars from the EU not just Porsche.
So people will cancel/postpone their orders until delivery prices are confirmed post Brexit...so less part-exchange vehicles available...so second-hand prices will strengthen?
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
andreas

Post by andreas »

As I've posted in another thread, any WTO tariff would only be payable on the value at which Porsche AG sell the car to Porsche GB - this will be much less than the retail price, so a 10% tariff shouldn't result in a 10% increase in the retail price. If it does, it's because Porsche GB or the OPC is profiteering on the back of Brexit.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

So glad you put "shouldn't' rather than "wouldn't" 😂😂
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

andreas wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:52 pm As I've posted in another thread, any WTO tariff would only be payable on the value at which Porsche AG sell the car to Porsche GB - this will be much less than the retail price, so a 10% tariff shouldn't result in a 10% increase in the retail price. If it does, it's because Porsche GB or the OPC is profiteering on the back of Brexit.
Huh? What difference does that make? The tariffed vehicle will be more expensive to Porsche GB. If it bought it pre tariff at 100 and post at 110 and sold it to the customer at 150, it would still want the 50 as margin. Therefore, if Porsche GB wish to retain their margin, the customer will eat the tariff not Porsche. There's no profiteering...the end customer always eats the tariff. It's just then a question of demand.