New Macan S ordered!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
VanB

Post by VanB »

I think a lot depends on your driving ability. I had Rev cam and not sur view and never had an issue. The dipping mirror helped a great deal though.

I had surround view on a previous X5 and thought it was pointless but then I am not constantly parking in tight spaces in London for example.

In short and if you are a competent driver it should be unnecessary. If you regularly park in any city/built up area and those spaces are tight then it might just be a luxury worth paying for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Eon

Post by Eon »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 am
Eon wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 pm Greetings!

New Macan S ordered! Very excited, but am suffering from post deposit blues-the wait is killing me and it’s only been about 10 days!! :lol: :lol: Never knew I was so impatient!
I suppose it’s my first Porsche and totally understandable!?!
Previous car was a VW Tiguan that has been fab, but it’s time for a change, plus I need an automatic gearbox, so why not ;)

Have been knocking about the forum for a few weeks, so a huge thanks for all of your posts and info! The one thing I am still undecided about is the park assist with the surround cams. I have mostly parallel parking to do and have been spoilt by the park assist on the Tiguan (its brilliant and easy to use!). Not sure why Porsche haven’t adopted it. Does anyone have any experience of this with the new Macan? Any pics would be appreciated of the display in the car would be fab-otherwise will keep checking with the dealer.
Cheers!
A warm welcome Eon

As you are used to parking the Tiguan size wise, then you will be fine with the "ParkAssit and reversing camera" option on the Macan. If you're optioning the 21" alloys and / or park in very tight spots then spend the extra on the surround cams. Not sure if you mean that your Tiguan has a semi-automatic / hands-off parking system, but neither option provides this on the Macan. :o

Good luck and the wait will be worth it ;) :)
Thanks also for the warm welcome and the advice. Am going for 20” wheels on steel, but parking can be tight outside the house. TIGUAN is pretty much same size and has hands off parking-so easy to use.
Thanks! Can’t wait to get it to be honest-still grinning weeks on from the test drive!
andreas

Post by andreas »

Go for Surround View, you won't ever regret having it.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Eon

Post by Eon »

Paul wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:21 am Welcome!
To confirm SAC1’s comment, Porsche’s “park assist” is not the hands free self-park wizzardry most others offer; you still have to move the steering wheel yourself (but the surround camera does help tell you when to move!)

Edit - you asked for some surround cam pics......

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4818&p=94693&hilit ... era#p94693
Thanks Paul! Much appreciated!
👍👍
Eon

Post by Eon »

Thanks all! They have surround view on a panamera in the garage, so will pop in and have a play next week, along with 14/18 way seats.
Eon

Post by Eon »

VanB wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:17 pm I think a lot depends on your driving ability. I had Rev cam and not sur view and never had an issue. The dipping mirror helped a great deal though.

I had surround view on a previous X5 and thought it was pointless but then I am not constantly parking in tight spaces in London for example.

In short and if you are a competent driver it should be unnecessary. If you regularly park in any city/built up area and those spaces are tight then it might just be a luxury worth paying for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks VanB
I think my main worry is that the cameras take your focus away from the all important radar which can judge distance far more accurately than looking at a small picture on a screen. Have had cameras on American hire cars and have just ignored them in the past... although parking spaces are huge over there and have never had to parallel park in the states. Would just prefer to save the alloys and yes, dipping mirror is a godsend!
Cheers
Ian
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I agree with VanB. Driver aids can be useful but maybe we can become overreliant on them sometimes and perhaps overconfident when using them. Basic driving skills rule!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Eon

Post by Eon »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:26 pm I agree with VanB. Driver aids can be useful but maybe we can become overreliant on them sometimes and perhaps overconfident when using them. Basic driving skills rule!
Agreed!
👍
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Can I suggest that rather than base your selection or otherwise on the thoughts of members here that you take out a Macan for a test drive specifically to try parallel parking.

Since the chances are that it will have some kind of camera system then do take something to place over the PCM screen so you will not have the tendency to check the screen view.

That will then show you how easy or otherwise it is for you to park a Macan in a tight parking space.

My opinion is that only you can decide what is best for you, but do consider the requirements of any other person who may drive your Macan.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 pm Can I suggest that rather than base your selection or otherwise on the thoughts of members here that you take out a Macan for a test drive specifically to try parallel parking.

Since the chances are that it will have some kind of camera system then do take something to place over the PCM screen so you will not have the tendency to check the screen view.

That will then show you how easy or otherwise it is for you to park a Macan in a tight parking space.

My opinion is that only you can decide what is best for you, but do consider the requirements of any other person who may drive your Macan.
Well, not quite what you said earlier Col......:😉😂😂

I have had both systems, and would never have just Rev Cam again if there is a Surround Cam option.

The rear quarter vision in any Macan is dire and so any help in that area is of great benefit.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465