New Macan S ordered!

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Eon

Post by Eon »

Greetings!

New Macan S ordered! Very excited, but am suffering from post deposit blues-the wait is killing me and it’s only been about 10 days!! :lol: :lol: Never knew I was so impatient!
I suppose it’s my first Porsche and totally understandable!?!
Previous car was a VW Tiguan that has been fab, but it’s time for a change, plus I need an automatic gearbox, so why not ;)

Have been knocking about the forum for a few weeks, so a huge thanks for all of your posts and info! The one thing I am still undecided about is the park assist with the surround cams. I have mostly parallel parking to do and have been spoilt by the park assist on the Tiguan (its brilliant and easy to use!). Not sure why Porsche haven’t adopted it. Does anyone have any experience of this with the new Macan? Any pics would be appreciated of the display in the car would be fab-otherwise will keep checking with the dealer.
Cheers!

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Surround Cam is a very useful addition.

You should consider yourself lucky, typically the wait for an S not to long ago was 18m, how would you have coped with that?

You can always while away the hours on the Confuserator until its lockdown time for your spec.

Its an unfortunate state that the wait does indeed get far worst, far, far worst as the build date approaches then goes exponential for the couple of weeks following build.

Has it made it to Emden?

Is it in the UK?

Are Porsche GB going to single it out for extra QA checks?

Am I going to have a heart attack during the final few days before collection?

Seriously enjoy the wait as best you can, you are not alone we have been there, and for quite a few of us it has been on more than one occasion.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Eon wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 pm Greetings!

New Macan S ordered! Very excited, but am suffering from post deposit blues-the wait is killing me and it’s only been about 10 days!! :lol: :lol: Never knew I was so impatient!
I suppose it’s my first Porsche and totally understandable!?!
Previous car was a VW Tiguan that has been fab, but it’s time for a change, plus I need an automatic gearbox, so why not ;)

Have been knocking about the forum for a few weeks, so a huge thanks for all of your posts and info! The one thing I am still undecided about is the park assist with the surround cams. I have mostly parallel parking to do and have been spoilt by the park assist on the Tiguan (its brilliant and easy to use!). Not sure why Porsche haven’t adopted it. Does anyone have any experience of this with the new Macan? Any pics would be appreciated of the display in the car would be fab-otherwise will keep checking with the dealer.
Cheers!
A warm welcome Eon

As you are used to parking the Tiguan size wise, then you will be fine with the "ParkAssit and reversing camera" option on the Macan. If you're optioning the 21" alloys and / or park in very tight spots then spend the extra on the surround cams. Not sure if you mean that your Tiguan has a semi-automatic / hands-off parking system, but neither option provides this on the Macan. :o

Good luck and the wait will be worth it ;) :)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
happy days

Post by happy days »

We have the surround option on our McCann - I would spec it again every time. It's brilliant seeing the overhead view.
Macan S D
718 S
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome!
To confirm SAC1’s comment, Porsche’s “park assist” is not the hands free self-park wizzardry most others offer; you still have to move the steering wheel yourself (but the surround camera does help tell you when to move!)

Edit - you asked for some surround cam pics......

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4818&p=94693&hilit ... era#p94693
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Further to my prior post.

I have had both systems, and would never have just Rev Cam again if there is a Surround Cam option.

The rear quarter vision in any Macan is dire and so any help in that area is of great benefit.

Surround Cam works and it is especially a great aid to parrallel park, select side or top view and it helps you get close to the kerb yet gives the protections to the rims.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I've never had a problem reversing with just the camera, including parallel parking close to the kerb. No kerbing damage either.

I found Surround View overkill as an aid on the OPC's demo car.

Depends on what you want to spend too:
ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera....£ 362.00
ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera and Surround View...£ 884.00
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Taz

Post by Taz »

I link my surround view to the diamond button, it’s great if you have to park in a tight space
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:22 am I've never had a problem reversing with just the camera, including parallel parking close to the kerb. No kerbing damage either.

I found Surround View overkill as an aid on the OPC's demo car.

Depends on what you want to spend too:
ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera....£ 362.00
ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera and Surround View...£ 884.00
Horses for courses.

I had a 2017 Panamera 4, so a lot bigger than a Macan. I had no issues with parking or manoeuvring. I did not spec surround view. I did not even spec the reversing camera. No incidents in 17k miles covered in a year. :)

Oh, and welcome to our friendly forum. :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Eon

Post by Eon »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 pm Welcome.

Surround Cam is a very useful addition.

You should consider yourself lucky, typically the wait for an S not to long ago was 18m, how would you have coped with that?

You can always while away the hours on the Confuserator until its lockdown time for your spec.

Its an unfortunate state that the wait does indeed get far worst, far, far worst as the build date approaches then goes exponential for the couple of weeks following build.

Has it made it to Emden?

Is it in the UK?

Are Porsche GB going to single it out for extra QA checks?

Am I going to have a heart attack during the final few days before collection?

Seriously enjoy the wait as best you can, you are not alone we have been there, and for quite a few of us it has been on more than one occasion.
Hi Col Lamb
Thanks for the reply. Am notching up some hours on the Configurator! Have been given a lockdown date today for the end of feb, so am happy knowing this. Just gotta decide on a few things... surround and 14/18 way seats are the last to decide!
Cheers!