New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

RickZ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:28 pm
My thoughts on the spare are, I have a puncture miles from anywhere, I have no mobile signal or spare wheel, how far do I have to walk or thumb a lift to access a land line to call Porsche Assistance and then how long do I wait for them. Alternatively I have a puncture miles from anywhere, I have no mobile signal but I do have a spare wheel, I fit my spare and make my way at 50mph to my destination and sort the puncture out there. The spare potentially makes life easier in all puncture situations and any time day or night with the end result that I get where I want with minimum delay and not where Porsche assistance want after waiting for them and that's only if I have mobile signal. If I can contact them and waiting time is short they can fit my spare wheel and dump the wheel with puncture in my boot or on my back seat with a cover over it and off I go...
All I can say is good luck with that.....just hope you don't get a flat / blow out on a motorway, especially on the O/S of the car on indeed any busy main road etc where you cannot pull safely away from the traffic thundering closely by or at night virtually anywhere. Just hope you can prize that big and heavy alloy off the hub when you do attempt it.

No signal....just flag down another driver who probably can call the breakdown firm or drop you somewhere warm and safe where you can call them.

Most punctures are slow ones where the tyre pressure is not lost instantly. The TPMS is very good alerting you to those. A flat is a flat and you're going nowhere....unless you want to risk ruining the tyre and potentially the wheel too. If its a full blown flat also good luck with getting the tool roll jack under the car. :oops:

In over 1.5 million miles of motoring and across several continents, I have never had to change a wheel on the roadside. Well at least not with radial tyres since their commercial introduction in the 1970s.

Still if that boot space robbing spare wheel and associated tool kit gives you peace of mind....just make sure it's regularly checked for the correct high pressure needed :)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Welcome to the forum Rick. Not sure we have had any members who have swapped an SQ5 for a Macan but no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong. What made you swap a 2017 SQ5 for a 2017 2.0 Macan - seems a little odd ?
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:40 am
My thoughts on the spare are, I have a puncture miles from anywhere, I have no mobile signal or spare wheel, how far do I have to walk or thumb a lift to access a land line to call Porsche Assistance and then how long do I wait for them. Alternatively I have a puncture miles from anywhere, I have no mobile signal but I do have a spare wheel, I fit my spare and make my way at 50mph to my destination and sort the puncture out there. The spare potentially makes life easier in all puncture situations and any time day or night with the end result that I get where I want with minimum delay and not where Porsche assistance want after waiting for them and that's only if I have mobile signal. If I can contact them and waiting time is short they can fit my spare wheel and dump the wheel with puncture in my boot or on my back seat with a cover over it and off I go...
All I can say is good luck with that.....just hope you don't get a flat / blow out on a motorway, especially on the O/S of the car on indeed any busy main road etc where you cannot pull safely away from the traffic thundering closely by or at night virtually anywhere. Just hope you can prize that big and heavy alloy off the hub when you do attempt it.

No signal....just flag down another driver who probably can call the breakdown firm or drop you somewhere warm and safe where you can call them.

Most punctures are slow ones where the tyre pressure is not lost instantly. The TPMS is very good alerting you to those. A flat is a flat and you're going nowhere....unless you want to risk ruining the tyre and potentially the wheel too. If its a full blown flat also good luck with getting the tool roll jack under the car. :oops:

In over 1.5 million miles of motoring and across several continents, I have never had to change a wheel on the roadside. Well at least not with radial tyres since their commercial introduction in the 1970s.

Still if that boot space robbing spare wheel and associated tool kit gives you peace of mind....just make sure it's regularly checked for the correct high pressure needed :)
I see your point about access to the jacking point with a deflated tyre, I suspect a 21" rim with a low profile 295-35-21(rear) or 265-40-21(front) tyres will leave enough space for the jack. After 30+ years solving engineering problems on North Sea Platforms I'm sure jacking up a car with a flat and fitting a spare wheel won't be to challenging.

In the event of a puncture my first port of call is to see if I have a mobile phone signal to call Porsch Assistance. The spare offers the peace of mind for that occasion when I can't contact Porsche Assist for example when I toured Ireland in my Merc GLC Coupe and often ended up in the remotest of places without a mobile phone signal and that car couldn't be retrofitted with a spare wheel so I had run flats fitted which offer protection but ride hard, to be honest I'd have preferred a spare wheel and the Macan offers that option.

Whilst you say "a flat is a flat and you're going nowhere" that wait is going to be longer if you can't contact Porsche Assist or you can but there's a 2hr wait verses fitting the spare straight away.

Regarding robbing boot space, the area under the Macan boot floor is for a spare wheel which can be selected during vehicle configuration, I'd rather it be full of spare wheel than tools and puncture repair kits instead. Maintaining pressure on a collapsable spare wheel isn't an issue.

I agree a blow out on a motorway presents far greater risk, I've found mobile signals present on most motorways I've driven on in the British Isles so I'd call Porsche Assist and decide once they arrived if I want their spare fitted or mine which depends on the location of the nearest OPC or tyre bay verses home or other destination.

It's all about options, I prefer the option of being able to call on a spare wheel if all else has fails. A friend hadn't had a puncture for 20+ years and then had 2 in a week on a BMW with run flats so he got to his destination OK. I find run flats ruin ride comfort and in my opinion when a spare is an option for a car it's the next best thing and a no brainer.
Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold
VanB

Post by VanB »

We used to have a member called SQ52GTS and I think the clue was in the name! I think he bounced out of his Macan quite quickly if I recall.

Welcome Rick BTW and don’t be put off by your initial niggles. The Macan is a great car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

ScotMac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:24 pm Were your Q5's trouble free??
I am on my third Q5 and 10 years and I have to say that I've not had any issues of any kind. Why then am I not buying a 4th? I went to the showroom last year to order my 4th and I didn't like the 'facelift' . . . it's a personal thing of course 'in the eye of the beholder' but with my 2015 model parked next to the latest shape I preferred mine. They then insisted I had a test drive which I thought after owning three was ridiculous but . . . I preferred my 2015 car, I didn't like where they'd put the sat nav and I didn't like the squared off shape of the steering wheel. I decided I deserved a 'treat' and went to Porsche and had a test drive in the 2L Macan AND I know you (all) are not going to like this but . . . the 2L Macan drove no better, was no quicker and no more responsive than my 2L diesel Q5. I know this is not going to sit well with the tribal instincts of the Porsche Club here but it's true. So why am I buying a Macan you ask? Because 1. I don't like shape of the new Q5 (too aggressive) 2. I deserve a 'treat' (and the money's in the bank losing value. 3. I like the look of the Macan and I hope / expect the 3L drive better than the 2L.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Fairynuff wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:56 am
I am on my third Q5 and 10 years and I have to say that I've not had any issues of any kind. Why then am I not buying a 4th? I went to the showroom last year to order my 4th and I didn't like the 'facelift' . . . it's a personal thing of course 'in the eye of the beholder' but with my 2015 model parked next to the latest shape I preferred mine. They then insisted I had a test drive which I thought after owning three was ridiculous but . . . I preferred my 2015 car, I didn't like where they'd put the sat nav and I didn't like the squared off shape of the steering wheel. I decided I deserved a 'treat' and went to Porsche and had a test drive in the 2L Macan AND I know you (all) are not going to like this but . . . the 2L Macan drove no better, was no quicker and no more responsive than my 2L diesel Q5. I know this is not going to sit well with the tribal instincts of the Porsche Club here but it's true. So why am I buying a Macan you ask? Because 1. I don't like shape of the new Q5 (too aggressive) 2. I deserve a 'treat' (and the money's in the bank losing value. 3. I like the look of the Macan and I hope / expect the 3L drive better than the 2L.
I think it is a fairly safe bet that the 3.0 Macan S will be a better drive than the 2.0 Macan or the Q5 2l diesel
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:39 am Welcome to the forum Rick. Not sure we have had any members who have swapped an SQ5 for a Macan but no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong. What made you swap a 2017 SQ5 for a 2017 2.0 Macan - seems a little odd ?
Thanks for the welcome mark-yorkshire. I've been interested in the Macan since it came on the scene but it was between Audi, Merc, Lexus and Range Rover all a 5 minute walk from my house verses the nearest Porsche Centre 35 miles away. At the time I worked away from home so the closer options seemed the best at the time. After being given early retirement with redundancy a couple of years ago time became less of an issue but I still went the SQ5 in 2017 but the Macan remained in my thoughts.

Three weeks ago with time on my hands I decided to drive to the nearest OPC in Nottingham to test drive a Macan to get the bug out of my head. I decided I didn't need 350bhp and test drove a Porsche owned from new 2L at 252bhp 67 plate with approaching 3000 miles on the clock. During 2 test drives I was pleasantly surprised at the better drive quality and ride comfort compared to the Sq5. Having completed the test drives and decided I actually like the Macan enough to do a deal I still suspected that Porsches publicised reluctance to negotiate on prices would put me off. This proved not to be true if approached the right way, after negotiating and managing to get a reasonable lump off and GAP/Tyre insurance thrown in we shook hands. It's currently back with the OPC for replacement pan roof seals, they picked it up and left me a 2018 Cayenne S as a loan car a great oportunity to compare it to the Macan. Yesterday I completed a 70 mile run in the Cayanne, the ride comfort was nice but the drive in my opinion not as engaging or as much fun as the Macan no matter what suspension setting was selected on the Cayenne and I wasn't impressed with the performance of the V6 3L engine compared to the SQ5, which left me more than satisfied with my 2L Macan. I must admit that Porsche seem quite a bit behind Audi on the tech stuff like light technology but generally inside the cabin of the Macan is close to the quality of the SQ5 and the Macan I purchased had quite a few options spec'd by Porsche. The Sq5 certainly depreciated more that the Macan over the same period and I suspect the same will be the case going forward.
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:02 am
Fairynuff wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:56 am
I think it is a fairly safe bet that the 3.0 Macan S will be a better drive than the 2.0 Macan or the Q5 2l diesel
I've been through most of the petrol and diesel Q5 range including the SQ5 pre and post the redesign, the Q5 was completely redesigned in 2017 which in my opinion improved the Q5 in every way including looks. I P/Ex my petrol SQ5 for a 2L Macan after deciding I don't need the power of a 3L V6 and find the 252bhp of the 2L still offers fun and less risk of speeding tickets :lol:. It's all down to preference, I've had the power and didn't really use it so the 2L is enough..... :D
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

VanB wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:25 am We used to have a member called SQ52GTS and I think the clue was in the name! I think he bounced out of his Macan quite quickly if I recall.

Welcome Rick BTW and don’t be put off by your initial niggles. The Macan is a great car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VanB thanks for the welcome.

I'm sure from my short time enjoying my Macan all will soon be well and I'll continue enjoying it.
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:40 am

In the last 15 years.

Puncture 1 unrepairable flat on Motorway at a major intersection with no chance of limping off. Had to change wheel, terrifying ordeal.

Puncture 2 in midst of Scotland on a Sunday evening that the sealant can would not seal (spare wheel was not an available option), limped to Edinburgh topping up up air at every filling station. 1/2 day of holiday wasted hanging around waiting for car to be repaired as a new tyre had to be brought from another branch

Puncture 3 Macan rear nearside, late afternoon, no mobile phone coverage, unrepairable but thank goodness I have a spare, changed wheel and dropped the flat off at Porsche OPC before driving home.

79A664F6-4ABA-4894-AC3B-0B087F0FB4DF.jpeg

No I did not run over a scewdriver, its just there to show the hole.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags