New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

Hi, I'm new to Porsche and the Macan forum. During years of mulling over the Macan whilst I dabbled with a Merc GLC Coupe and various forms of the Audi Q5, I purchased first Porsche 2 weeks ago using my 2017 SQ5 as P/Ex for a 2017 2L Macan. I purchased it from Porsche Center Nottingham 35 miles away from where I live. I'm impressed with the car but my first 2 weeks as a Porsche has been have been a little disappointing, it's had to go back twice and currently it's in for warranty replacement of the pan roof seals. I can't fault NPC they picked up my Macan on both occasions leaving me with a loan Porsche, this time it;s a 2018 Cayenne S. I've asked them to check a rattle from under the floor when the Macan starts and when it goes over bumps and there's a gear change thump occasionally between 1st and 2nd gear most often when turning, allegedly it has the Gen 2 transfer box so water ingress shouldn't be an issue as reported by other owners. Hopefully I'll get it back with everything sorted and my Porsche journey will continue with no further issues, fingers crossed.

I'm one of those who hates owning a car without a spare even with Porsche assist, most of my Audi's and Mercs didn't have one, I said I'd never buy another car without as spare, so I buy a Macan without one.... :lol: . Over the years I've built up a collection of puncture repair kits with cords that push into punctures as a temporary repair. I still don't like having no spare and even worse Porsche rely on a decent mobile phone signal for owners to contact Porsche Assistance where other prestige brands use GPS hmmmmm. This morning I decided to purchase the collapsable spare with relevant, fastener, tools and jack(they fit under the floor) to be gobsmacked that when configuring a Macan the spare is available for £200ish but purchased later it's £400ish so with all the tools it came to £555ish, wow. Rather than hunt around for the different bits and end up with something that isn't right or causes damage I decided to bite the bullet and go with Porsche at least I know it's all the right kit. It's worth the peace of mind after all these years when miles away from home worrying about the hassle of punctures with no spare even with assistance services, no more worry thank goodness, all I have to do is change the wheel myself if assistance is hours away. Oh well that's my introduction over, apologies for the rambling fellow macanforums member .... :lol:

20190305_150643-COLLAGE.jpg

Vulcano Grey 2019 Macan 2.0
White 2017 Macan 2.0 returned to OPC for full refund
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
White 2016 Merc GLC Coup Premium Plus sold
Grey 2015 Audi S5 cabrio sold
White 2014 Audi SQ5 diesel sold

Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

RickZ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm This morning I decided to purchase the collapsable spare
I hope you get fixed all that needs fixing. I have read post on here about problems with the pano roof seals I'm sure there will be some experienced feedback on that.
On the subject of a spare, I have that on my list of extras and was told to choose the 18" spare . . . what I can't get my head around is how it drives with three 21" wheels and one 18" wheel!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Fairynuff wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:20 pm
RickZ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:58 pm This morning I decided to purchase the collapsable spare
I hope you get fixed all that needs fixing. I have read post on here about problems with the pano roof seals I'm sure there will be some experienced feedback on that.
On the subject of a spare, I have that on my list of extras and was told to choose the 18" spare . . . what I can't get my head around is how it drives with three 21" wheels and one 18" wheel!
Not badly actually, had to do it myself just before Christmas. I'm sure the finally wheel+tyre wall diameter was smaller than then my 21s, but it did work. Felt funny though. Not sure I'd want to do it for very long :)

Welcome RickZ. Hope you get your bits sorted.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D :D :D

Hope you get your faults sorted.

I've not had any problems with my Macan ........ yet.

Were your Q5's trouble free??
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

A warm Welcome Rick

Sorry to hear of your initial problems, but I'm sure your OPC will fix them. On the bright side it will give you an opportunity to build up an early rapport with their Service Dept.

I've had zero problems with my Macan in the 23 months since new.

I'm a tyre industry man and decided not to have a spare wheel. What are you going to do with a very large wheel assembly, even if you do manage to free it off from the hub successfully with the tool kit? A great big dirty lump in the boot and that's assuming you can get in with any other items / luggage! :? Then how long will you want to be driving around on that 18" spare. Me, I will wait for Porsche recovery, even if that should inconviennience me for a while. I have had a nail puncture, but it remained inflated while I drove at low speed to my nearest tyre centre.

Good luck and I'm sure you will feel great about your Macan once those teething issues are sorted. ;)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

SAC1 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:07 pm A warm Welcome Rick

Sorry to hear of your initial problems, but I'm sure your OPC will fix them. On the bright side it will give you an opportunity to build up an early rapport with their Service Dept.

I've had zero problems with my Macan in the 23 months since new.

I'm a tyre industry man and decided not to have a spare wheel. What are you going to do with a very large wheel assembly, even if you do manage to free it off from the hub successfully with the tool kit? A great big dirty lump in the boot and that's assuming you can get in with any other items / luggage! :? Then how long will you want to be driving around on that 18" spare. Me, I will wait for Porsche recovery, even if that should inconviennience me for a while. I have had a nail puncture, but it remained inflated while I drove at low speed to my nearest tyre centre.

Good luck and I'm sure you will feel great about your Macan once those teething issues are sorted. ;)
Thanks, I'm sure all will be well in the end and the OPC is making life easy by picking my Macan up and providing loan cars.

My thoughts on the spare are, I have a puncture miles from anywhere, I have no mobile signal or spare wheel, how far do I have to walk or thumb a lift to access a land line to call Porsche Assistance and then how long do I wait for them. Alternatively I have a puncture miles from anywhere, I have no mobile signal but I do have a spare wheel, I fit my spare and make my way at 50mph to my destination and sort the puncture out there. The spare potentially makes life easier in all puncture situations and any time day or night with the end result that I get where I want with minimum delay and not where Porsche assistance want after waiting for them and that's only if I have mobile signal. If I can contact them and waiting time is short they can fit my spare wheel and dump the wheel with puncture in my boot or on my back seat with a cover over it and off I go...
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
RickZ

Post by RickZ »

ScotMac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:24 pm Welcome :D :D :D

Thanks for the Welcome.

Had no major issues with my Q5's or Sq5's...
Blue 2017 Audi SQ5 sold
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

RickZ wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 pm
ScotMac wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:24 pm Welcome :D :D :D

Thanks for the Welcome.

Had no major issues with my Q5's or Sq5's...
Good. We also have a TT which has been a great trouble free car.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome and sorry to hear of your issues.

I would kick you OPC up their rear, the pano seal and drain are known issues and they should have checked them prior to putting the car up for sale.

Same thing with the issues you have theybreally should have found them, you need to push them for sone freebies, if that does not work contact Porsche GB and complain.

As it is you should getba Customer Satisfaction survey to compkete, if the OPC are not playing ball with you tell them that they can expect a daming survey. That they will not like since Porsche GB will stamp on them..

Would you believe it when I tell you that there are members here who will argue that just because they have never had a puncture they have no need to carry a spare? Yes its shortsighted, and one day if they ever have a puncture may they only ever have one right opposite their OPC.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:59 pm Would you believe it when I tell you that there are members here who will argue that just because they have never had a puncture they have no need to carry a spare? Yes its shortsighted, and one day if they ever have a puncture may they only ever have one right opposite their OPC.
There are probably people here who have had never had two punctures at the same time and have no need to carry two spares! Yes, it is shortsighted .. etc :lol:

Logical fallacies aside, with all the punctures / wheel damages I've had in the last ten or so years, I've needed for callout in all of them, whether I had a spare or not... except once, where I managed to limp home with a nail embedded in the tyre, so no remedial work needed onsite.

On the "I might not be able to call for help" phone coverage issue... I carry a spare phone on a different network in the car to fill the coverage gaps. Considerably cheaper than carrying a spare wheel from Porsche! I also carry a spare SIM on a 3rd network if I'm going properly off-piste.

Regardless of all this, I do prefer to carry a spare if the car has room for it and it's not going to screw up the weight and balance of the car (ie, not a sportscar).
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR